Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Access to Journal Articles
meme
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

mad.gif posted on 16-8-2008 at 13:13
Access to Journal Articles

Hi everyone! I'm not a regular poster here (love lurking though). Some of you might know me, though, from a million other forums lost in time ;)

I've been working for a few years now to establish a legal lab, and I am doing well. Location is a problem, but everything else has come along well.

Except . . .

I can't keep paying $30 a article for literature! Does anyone know anything about subscriptions for individuals/ small companies? I live more than an hour by car from a research library, and I can't drive bc I am visually impaired, so this requires more work than just paying the exorbitant fee per article (which is hit or miss).

Can I lease a sub-subscription from some one who has one? Is there a discount for small companies? Should I incorporate a non-profit?

Pm me if you have private help, but I am sure others would like to know.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 16-8-2008 at 14:03

We have a references section. You can get access once you've proven yourself worthy, that is, you don't break the rules and behave yourself nicely.

If you want/have to go the legal way, there are subscriptions for companies, but I'm afraid you'll be paying a hefty fee for all access. Do you need access to the articles or will a reaction scheme suffice? I'm asking because you have the choice between scifinder and beilstein crossfire, which are excellent at locating literature, but won't provide you with any access to it.
meme
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-8-2008 at 14:58
Yeah, but

I really need the whole articles. The abstract never gives enough.

I'm not sure how to prove myself, really. I'll post when I feel that it adds some real content, of course.

I've been paying for articles for years now, $25 for 4 pages or whatever they charge. I can't keep up with Dr Nichols! let alone his group ;)

It is sorry I can't just pay some librarian like $20 a hour to pull articles for me, lol. It sucks to pull an article with a great abstract to find out that the experimental section is weak.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 16-8-2008 at 16:06

Do you not live near a university?
It's not like they check to make sure that only students are looking at their books...and if the photocopiers are somehow student ID activated, well you just happened to be prepared with a digital camera;)

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 16-8-2008 at 19:45

But, how can he do all of that if he's too "visually impaired" to even drive? How are you going to set up a lab? Are you sure you should be doing stuff like that when you lack the proper quality of vision to drive? (I used to work in an optical lab and I know that you have to be basically blind for your vision to be beyond glasses). Seriously, is someone else typing/reading this for you?

Anyway, try getting access to the references section. If you are a long-time lurker, you should know how to do this. I might be able to help you. Just U2U me.

[Edited on 8-16-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
meme
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-8-2008 at 22:36

In FL either eye corrected can be 20/50, but not both eyes. I can see OK to function, but suffered over-correction from several doctors for the past like 15 years. This over-correction consistently caused me to test 20/50 corrected in both eyes. Either eye was good enough but not both together. I saw several doctors, but each time since I was a kid they simply would accept my answer that one picture was sharper, and thus they assumed better. Never in my life until last Jan or so did anyone test to see if I had been over-prescribed. This has weakened my corneas (my prescription has to be cut in half 3 or 4 times) and is the reason I can't drive (yet).

I could drive safely, just not legally. I can't read a license plate from two car lengths away, but I am sure that I would still see motorcyclists! It's just a matter of a little time, I guess (sucks to be WAY not 16 and still waiting to drive lol).

I live almost inside (like in the back of the soccer field) of a very small, very private school, but their library is small and the librarians are difficult to non-students. I am an alumna of a FL state school and could travel to Gainesville or Tampa or Orlando, but this few hour journey really eats up more time and money than one would believe.

So I've been just buying articles as I need them. Looking back at the chemicals in storage, the glassware, and the 30 gigs of PDFs . . . I just feel like the costs of the PDFs should have been the least! Certainly not an equal part ;)
arevelacao
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-9-2008 at 09:23

hi guys,
how I have access to references section?

Go To Top