Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buchi Rotavapor R for sale (from Europe) with pump, vac controller, stand etc.!
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 09:52
Buchi Rotavapor R for sale (from Europe) with pump, vac controller, stand etc.!

I have a complete Buchi Rotavapor R for sale.

It includes:

-the motor (regularly serviced with grease, 220V version)
-the condenser (horizontal model)
-connector tube from flask to condenser (the part that one sticks in the motor piece, with 29/32 male taper joint)
-original Buchi stand with lifting mechanism handle
-a bath (suitable for temperatures up to 160°C, may be used with water/PEG/silicone oil)
-vacuum and water tubing
-a 1000ml collecting flask (ball joint KS35)
-a 1000ml distilling flask (29/32 taper joint)
-a KNF Neuberger N035 AN.18 single stage diaphragm pump (pulls ~80mmHg)
-a manual vacuum controller
-a Keck securing clip for the distilling flask
-a securing clamp for the collection flask

1250 EUR is the basis for negotiations. shipping goes extra, will be around 30-50 EUR for european destinations.

U2U me for offers!

i dont have pictures here right now, but the model looks like this one with a different bath.

this is the pump, but the dual stage model:

[Edited on 19-8-2008 by stoichiometric_steve]

[Edited on 19-8-2008 by stoichiometric_steve]
Ozonelabs
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oligomerised

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 10:10

We are very interested. A Personal Message has been sent.

We look forward to a response.

Ozonelabs
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oligomerised

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 10:10

/// Apologies, double post///

[Edited on 19-8-2008 by Ozonelabs]

Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 11:08

Normally the baths Buchi sold are just water baths and so top out at 100 C or so. In fact they are designed to be used at 60 C as Buchi teaches the 20-40-60 rukle.

Bath at 60 C

Coolant at 20 C

Adjust vacuum so sample bp is 40 C.

Running the bath hotter than 60 C is inefficient and wastes energy doe to evaporative losses of coolant.

Buchi made and makes oil baths to 160 C for their later models, but I have never encountered one for the original Model R. Certainly the heating element and thermostat will be very different.

Such an oil bath is dangerous if used without a shield as the hot oil will splash off the rotating sample flask. This is a nuisance with 60 C water but 160 C oil? A disaster!

The weak spot on all Buchis is the vacuum seal. Replace vacuum seals regularly. The rotating vapor duct wear an oval in them and after that they leak too fast and can admit corrosive vapors into the mechanism.

When shipping that double coil condenser, you must place plastic or carboard strips between the coils, otherwise they can break easily. It's happeed to me.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 11:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
The weak spot on all Buchis is the vacuum seal.

Keep it well greased and it will last a long time. This model is equipped with a Kalrez seal which lasts for 6 months already without the slightest sign of leaking.

The bath i'm selling is not a Buchi make, it is from Daglef Patz. In some situations, it is nice to have a bath that goes higher than 100°C, although it is rarely necessary.

stateofhack
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 11:37

Looks wonderful!
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 18:31

The bath in the photo is a Buchi, integrated into the Buchi stand, I know because I have one of the identical Model R with same stand and bath (US voltage) sitting here. At one point I owned 16 Buchis. Now I am down to 4-5 including a 20 L industrial Model 152, and the R110 I use routinely. I have a pair of RE-120 motor heads, a few spare R/RE stands, several R motor heads for spare parts.

I agree that an oil bath can be nicely useful, if you are working with high boiling solvents that are difficult to strip at 60 C. So, does the non-Buchi bath have a shield against spatter of hot oil? I think your buyer will be happier if you can picture the actual equipment you are selling rather than something clipped out of an auction ad.

stateofhack
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 20-8-2008 at 01:03

Quote:
The bath in the photo is a Buchi, integrated into the Buchi stand, I know because I have one of the identical Model R with same stand and bath (US voltage) sitting here. At one point I owned 16 Buchis. Now I am down to 4-5 including a 20 L industrial Model 152, and the R110 I use routinely. I have a pair of RE-120 motor heads, a few spare R/RE stands, several R motor heads for spare parts.

Could we have a picture of that, its sounds sweet;):o
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-8-2008 at 04:08

Quote:
Originally posted by SauronAt one point I owned 16 Buchis.

I think Shulgin owns ONE rotavap :)

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-8-2008 at 04:23

Ah but as far as I know, Sasha does not manufacture herbal liqueurs. Which is why I had all those Buchis.

When I got out of that project I sold off all but one benchtop model, gave another to my ex-partner in New Orleans who promptly lost it in Katrina, and also kept my 20 L industrial model, as well as bits and pieces for several more that were not really worth selling off.

All of these were bought second hand, and disposed of in same places (LabX and eBay).

I did buy some Buchi glassware new, at shocking prices. Buchi is rapacious.

Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

Mood: Stochastic

[*] posted on 20-8-2008 at 10:37

Quote:
Coolant at 20 C

Hmm.. I think you'll probably fowl up your pump pretty quick unless you cool your rotovap well. If you're serious enough to get a rotovap, it's really worth it to get a circulating cooling bath that'll get you to -10C. I like to lower BP with vacuum, not by getting the waterbath really hot, as I've run into decomposition problems, albeit mainly in quantitative work.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-8-2008 at 11:07

I do use a recirculating chiller, it goes down to 0 C. However, the 20 C coolant rule is Buchi's not mine. Better argue with them instead.

I use a Buchi V-801 digital vacuum controller and either a KNF Neuberger PTFE pump or a Eyela dual recirculating aspirator pump depending on the job. Such pumps do not foul.

And for low boiling solvents I switch condensers and use dry ice-acetone.

Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

Mood: Stochastic

[*] posted on 20-8-2008 at 11:14

Yup, I love the Buchis with the controller and oil-less pump. Such a model is not listed for sale here (I have the same one at home! oldie but a goodie). Ahh.. I forgot about dry ice cold fingers :( .. those are nice too.. never worked in a lab with one except academia. Never heard of this 20C rule.. strange.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-8-2008 at 11:46

Obviously the Dewar condenser option is only available in a vertical setup with a distributor head, on a type RE motor, or else when condenser has flange for R type head built in.

I have the distributor head, and vertical double coil condenser is original Buchi. The Dewar condenser I had my local glassblower make, it has a 29/42 taper at bottom so I just interpose an adapter (also local) between it and the 45/40 joint at top of distributor.

Vacuum takeoff is at top.

The big 20 L model has a giant 3 coil descending condenser (type E glass) and inverted U tube, large trap and connection to distributor head. This setup is for solvents that foam and bump like toluene. There's a provision for adding a second 3-coil condenser inline (parallel) if needed. Not cxheap though!

I paid $6000 for that R-152 with glass and now if I had to replace just the glass it would cost more than that.

stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-8-2008 at 00:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrhenius
Yup, I love the Buchis with the controller and oil-less pump. Such a model is not listed for sale here (I have the same one at home! oldie but a goodie)

It IS for sale here. The pump is oil-less (as the name "diaphragm pump" implies) and from KNF Neuberger.
The vac controller is a manual device consisting of a needle valve combined with a manometer, which is much easier to handle and much harder to fuck up than an electronic device.

stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-8-2008 at 00:49

look, guys - if someone is truly interested and thinks 1250 EUR is a bit much, U2U me with a price that would be acceptable for you and we'll see.

DNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Experimenting

[*] posted on 22-10-2008 at 04:35

This is from the buchi website, does anyone know why to add borax to distilled water?

Quote:
Heating Media
Which medium can be used in the heating bath?

Tap water is the most common used medium. When using distilled water, 0.5 g of borax should be added.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-10-2008 at 09:23

Perhaps to prevent algae growth?
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-10-2008 at 17:36

If any french chemists out there are interested in a old but intact buchi rotavap, please contact me! I have already bought one from the seller, a very kind and passionated person, at a incredibly low price... Here is a picture:

I don't think shipment in possible, the seller doesn't want to take the risk, but considering the price a quick rid during a weekend would really be worth it. I live in the south of France; PM me if interested!

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
haristown
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-6-2010 at 11:50

hi,i have a Buchi Rotavapor-R for sale xomes with the glassware
Pseudomonia
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 14:47

Oh thats a beautiful bit of kit, I loved using one when I was doing my practical work for my dissertation. If I had the money I would buy it!
anotheronebitesthedust
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 16:03

Wilmad has them for $1800. wilmad-labglass.com/group/3082

Go To Top