Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bromine- Storage and uses
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 12:45
Bromine- Storage and uses

I am getting some Bromine for me and a friend. It comes in safety coated glass however that is all i know about it...
It is a 100ml bottle. Would it be better to store it in one of those mini electric fridges? I know it will not totally stop the Br2 vapors however it will stop some right?
Also will it be good to store for like a year or is that way too long?

Another point... any idea what i should do with it? i know stupid question but i havnt really needed liquid Br before but my friend wanted some so i thought i might aswell get some :P

cheers!

Picric-A

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by Picric-A]
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 16:13

Sorry, can't really help you on the storage bit of it. I'd assume the bottle you got it in wouldn't let it out all that easily.

You could brominate something I suppose!
Not recommending this, and I don't think you'd do it, but this is one thing that i could thing of: http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/mmda.mescali...
The bromination of vanillin, or probably other compounds like that would work.

Phenols brominate easily I believe. so you could try to find a use for some bromophenol compound :P

React it with Acetone or Acetic acid to form Bromoacetone or Bromoacetic acid(s)?

Once i had Br2 dissolved in chloroform, over time it reacted to form a clear solution and HBr gas. I believe it formed CBrCl3.

Br2 is pretty easy to make if you have a bromide salt. Just add Chlorine to a cold concentrated solution of the bromide. To dry it I think all you need to do is add H2SO4 or something like that to it, and distill, But that sounds like it might be a bit dangerous. I believe Bromic acid has done this before. He probably knows of more uses for it then I do.

Oh! right also you could try to make Acetic anhydride with Anhydrous Sodium Acetate and Sulfur. Also S2Br2 or SBr2 can also be produced, and one of those then could be used for making Acetic anhydride in a slightly different method then mentioned above. Rhodium archives have a synthesis from them.

Br2 reacts with various metals.. some of the reacts I bet could be pretty interesting.

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by kclo4]
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 13-9-2008 at 07:12

Well heres a few suggestions:

Salicylic acid > phenol > 2,4,6-tribromophenol

Indeed you could brominate acetone with diluted bromine and acid catalyst will give you monobromoacetone (watch out vapours will burn the eyes big style!)

If you are making benzene you could brominate the benzene in presence of Fe catalyst to get bromobenzene.

You could make anhydrous aluminium bromide by reacting aluminium with the bromine (violent reaction if they are mixed willy-nilly)

Hot KOH solution and bromine will yield KBrO3 and easily isolated.

List is endless!

Almost forgot perhaps a very handy thing you could do is reduce the Br2 to HBr with SO2 in water... Then distil the constant boiling 48% HBr from that! Very handy reagent and usually very expensive to buy from suppliers that stock it.

[Edited on 13-9-2008 by panziandi]

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 13-9-2008 at 19:19

Personally, if you have the capability, I would shoot a few videos of maybe it attacking aluminum turnings, copper wire, or adding to a oleifin containing liquid. Use maybe 30 ml and then take the rest and add it to the stochiometric amount of hot KOH solution and separate the bromate. Afterwords, you crystallize the bromide in the filtrate and store separately. Later you mix 5 moles of your bromide for every mole of your bromate and add suffienct H2SO4 to have acid pH and you can retrieve your bromine! That way you can store for several years if it suits you:)

Fellow molecular manipulator
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 14-9-2008 at 07:19

There are lots of great uses for bromine, I loved the stuff. My favorite use is to add it to hot solutions of potassium hydroxide with metal salts/oxides suspended in it for attaining high oxididation states, check the ferrate thread for more on that.

Also note (or remember) the massive thread on bromine source and synthesis:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6953&a...

Other information on storage is covered there which may be useful to you.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-9-2008 at 09:05

An absolutely amazing way to store bromine are the SCHOTT DURAN bottles, with the red caps. They are expensive (around 8 euro including cap for me), but they hold bromine perfectly (for 3 months now), and nothing escapes! They are designed for nasties like nitric or bromine.

http://www.chemie.de/content/images/bild675.jpg
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-9-2008 at 12:13

The red caps are the ones with the PTFE liner right? I know the normal (blue) caps seal well, but as they are made entirely from PP they aren't quite resistant enough for the real nasties.
panziandi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-9-2008 at 12:21

Red caps have the nice thick PTFE liners! I expect the bottle that it will be supplied in should have a a PTFE liner, thick cap (I mean it sounds that it would be properly packaged esp if they have stated that the bottle is safe-coat!). Even chilling bromine in the fridge is plenty to stop the vapours. I would simply store the bottle in a pickle jar over some filter carbon & just put it in a well ventilated cool place.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Experimenting

[*] posted on 16-9-2008 at 04:32

I also have a 50ml bottle with a blue cap in a schott duran bottle for over 2 years in the freezer now, so the bromine is solid and no temperature fluctuations in the freezer so there isn't a pressure build up and decrease and build up again during the year. I think this is quite a good way of storing it.
When you want to use it then let it melt again and while very cold take something out because the fumes are evil! :o
panziandi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-9-2008 at 04:37

Sounds like a great method DNA thanks for sharing :)

Go To Top