Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: VERY OLD t-Butyldiphenylchlorosilane
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 17-9-2008 at 04:36
VERY OLD t-Butyldiphenylchlorosilane

I have about 750mL of VERY OLD t-butyldiphenylchlorosilane. The contents of the bottle are quite viscous clearly undergone hydrolysis etc.

Now it has a b.p. of 90*C 0.01mmHg (i have an idea it boils at 157*C atm but I can't find a reference for that!), it does fume a bit when you open the lid, so I am expecting there may well be some of the chlorosilane in there.

Would people throw it away? or would you try to clean it up? I am thinking I may distil it under argon or CO2 or something collecting the fraction boiling at the correct temperature.

Now I have used silanes and other organo-Si before but never had to distil 750mL of crude chlorosilane. Do people think the crud will be hard to remove from the flask (I'm imagining high boiling silcones will be a nightmare to deal with). Will it all be a waste of time do people think?

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 17-9-2008 at 07:44

I would expect it to be fairly viscous, like a thin oil as the molecular weight is quite high.

If it boils at 90C under 0.01mm Hg then I would attempt to distill a small amount under vacuum.

Cleaning up a small amount of goo is easier than getting rid of a bucket full :D
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 17-9-2008 at 07:53

Well looking through the bottle it is rather cloudy possibly with a precipitate lingering towards the bottom of the bottle. Possibly more consistent with a slightly watered down glucose syrup consitency! Indeed you have a point about the bucket, I'm just worried the whole lot may be useless goo (not worried if it is it didn't cost me anything!)

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top