Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Glassware Bottles/Jars - Closures + Liners
VesTony
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-9-2008 at 05:25
Glassware Bottles/Jars - Closures + Liners

Hello,

I'm doing a bit of research for my company and figured I'd try going straight to the end-user on this one.

We're getting into the glassware business as an extention of plastic bottles/containers and we're attempting to provide glass bottles and jars that are able to be used in a wide variety of applications. While I know that's a bit vague, essentially we want a container that most people will be able to use for most applications.

We've narrowed things down to thermoset caps with a PTFE liner. I do have a few questions that I was hoping some of you could provide information on:

1.) Are there any industry standards in regards to the caps concerning their color? We've found white, black and a green color to be most common. If we provide the color in say blue would this imply different use/material?

2.) While most of our research has pointed us toward bakelite/melamine caps, are there any blatant disadvantages that any of you have encountered with this material type?

3.) We've gone in this direction to find a closure that allows for high temperature while providing a wide range of chemical compatibility. Am I incorrect or mislead in moving in this direction?

I appreciate the advice, I figured that people who use these containers in the most extreme manners may be able to provide priceless insight.

Also, if you are aware of any other places I may be inclined to dig for information please feel free to email me at agullotti AT gmail.com or send me a message. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

[Edited on 25-9-2008 by VesTony]

Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 25-9-2008 at 06:19

In my bottles, blue bottle caps are normal PP or HDPE caps, Red bottle caps have PTFE liners.
Maybe along with making bottles that are chemiclly inert make them completly airtight? would be usefull when storing volatile solvents...
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 20:56

the schott laboratory reagant bottle is the benchmark general storage bottle, they spent considerable time using everything they had learnt about the art in designing a very german bottle that is without peer. The closure is 30mm ID, allowing the bottles to be comfortably used to store most solids as well as obviously liquids.
The closure design is self-sealing after being torqued closed sufficiently. When i pressure tested them, the 1L bottle could hold 500mL of di-methyl ether at RT, quite amazing. The lids are safe/sound to 140C, engineering grade of PP and typically that blue colour.
Any picture of any lab will have some of these bottles in it.
Start with that and make it cheaper, but it can't be improved IMO.

DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 10:06

There are copys of the schott duran bottles, made by simax. They are cheaper, although I'm not sure if the same high grade materials are used and if they seal as well as the schott bottles.
undead_alchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Tired, Cleaning up corporate messes at work!

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 11:26

The Simax made bottles are nice and heavy walled, caps are cleanly molded, I have some of them
Simax makes the bottles for Glassco as well.

Go To Top