Printable Version  
Author: Subject: quick lipid question
math
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

biggrin.gif posted on 5-10-2008 at 04:44
quick lipid question

hello,

I'd like to know if lipids (triglycerides in particular, vegetable oils) react in any way if mixed with elementar sulphur, as flowers of sulphur.

thank you
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 05:22

Under what conditions? Heating most hydrocarbons with sulphur results in the dehydrogenation of the hydrocarbon and production of H2S.

At lower temperatures sulfur will react with carbon-carbon double bonds, and crosslink molecules. This happens with rubber vulcanisation.

At STP, not much happens very quickly.
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 05:58

have a look at this patent:
WO/2003/041514
were the y treat triglycerides ith sulfur compounds (sodium sulfide,e lemental sulfur, etc). Not really sure what they obtain, but somethign is definitvely going on. I would think some kinds of thiols, thioacids etc are formed, but how they hell could they call these "flavor-enhancing"? :o

This patent is actually quite frightening: they are basicly saying take your triglycerides, throw in any sulfur or nitrogen containing waste your factory is generating, cook the hell out of it, and sell as dog food.... :o

[Edited on 5-10-2008 by Klute]

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
math
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 06:31

I was thinking about STP conditions...however also cooking temperatures would be interesting to know

I couldn't find any solubility data for sulfur in fats, so I supposed it reacts with them.

@klute: yeah that's frightening!

found that, but I couldn't find what's produced in detail ?

patent sulfurization of lard oil http://www.google.com/patents?id=G6hRAAAAEBAJ

[Edited on 5-10-2008 by math]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 06:51

Sulfurized oils are excellent high-pressure (machining) lubricants. Awful stinky lubricants...

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 08:15

As with vulcanization, sulfur adds to the double bonds in the fatty acid chains, and cross links them. When the unsaturated acids primarily are mon-unsaturated, you mostly only link 2 fatty acid chains together, with some having more linked chains from poly unsaturates, so the oil does not turn into tar-like goop but remains fairly fluid. You get a bit of the sulfur equivalent of an epoxide, some pairs (or more) of fatty acids linked by disulfid linked R-S-S-R, and some polysulfide links where there is one or more additional sulfur atoms in the of the sulfide link R-S-[S]n-S-R. The longer sulfide chains can be thought of as 'dissolved sulfur', and also to a minor degree will do some simple solution of elemental sulfur.

The polysulfides in particular can lose sulfur to metals, forming surface laters of the sulfides of the metals. The metallic sulfides generally have lower coefficients of friction than the bare metal surfaces. Also the sulfur bridges are fairly easily oxidised, they scavenge free oxygen dissolved in or mixed into the oil.
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

Mood: ok

[*] posted on 10-10-2008 at 11:58

I don't think leaving elemental sulfur into vegetable oils at room temp. will yield anything else than...maybe an etherogeneous mixture?

Go To Top