Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: specific chemical requests
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 23-10-2008 at 12:05
specific chemical requests

I wonder if it would be feasible to ask for the information on specific chemicals in a dedicated forum? It would be simialr to the requested references threads and folks with ready access to Beilsteins could get the published data and preps references for those who have to drive 60 miles or more.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 23-10-2008 at 12:49

A preparative assistance only forum? I assume the same principles would apply as are already in place elsewhere. The poster should see this as a last resort after exhausting his online and print resources. The burden of demonstrating that he has made a serious effort to get answers on his own ought to be his alone.

These are merely the same standards that apply to posts in the main forum. Otherwise you get requests for people who have not looked in ACS or RSC or Vogel or Org Syn or the forum library or the New Books threads or MadHatter and the patent lit. & so on.

As to Beilstein, AFAIK onlt the first 17 books of the Haupwerk have been made available to most of us, without the indexes eve. So that provides access to 19th century lit. but not 20th and unless you can come up with a reference it's a bitch fining anything without the Indexes.

How many of us have access to Beilstein online? Not me. I had a 30 day trial of MDL DiscoveryGate once and found it kludgy.

In the end it still means buying up second hand sets of the four Supplements with Indexes and hunting for missing books. This is costly. And in the end you will have reference to the lit. through sometime in the 70s. Beyond that it's back to CA.

We are all pretty much in the same boat.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-10-2008 at 02:12

As far as I know, the References section is also meant to be for providing references and not just requesting papers and books. I don't see any need for a new "References No. 2" section, especially since there seem to be very limited interest. Only rarely do I see requests for literature searches (except by the truly laziest members). Seems like members here do after all know how to hunt for the references - it is the access to the papers where troubles begin.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 24-10-2008 at 07:53

Nicodem has a good point.

Rarely indeed do I come up empty handed from a really serious effort at searching the rather large body of material listed above, which is by no mean all-inclusive, but which does not require getting out from in front of this monitor and keyboard.

Sometimes it's fast and easy, othertimes like pulling teeth, but, rarely futile. And often I learn something unexpected along the way.

Chemrox, maybe you could give us an example of the sort of thing you have in mind? Maybe we are misunderstanding your suggestion.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.

Go To Top