Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Great reference/glassware/supplies kits for beginners
CrapScientist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2008 at 11:13
Great reference/glassware/supplies kits for beginners

I'm new here on the boards and starting to build my lab for future experiments. I'd just like to share some great resources I've found for beginners that could be useful for the more advanced science hobbyists out there as well:

=========
1) Great books: O'Reilly's "Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments" by Robert Buce Thompson.

Here's a synopsis:
Quote:

Description For students, DIY hobbyists, and science buffs, who can no longer get real chemistry sets, this one-of-a-kind guide explains how to set up and use a home chemistry lab, with step-by-step instructions for conducting experiments in basic chemistry. Learn how to smelt copper, purify alcohol, synthesize rayon, test for drugs and poisons, and much more. The book includes lessons on how to equip your home chemistry lab, master laboratory skills, and work safely in your lab, along with 17 hands-on chapters that include multiple laboratory sessions. Full Description For students, DIY hobbyists, and science buffs, who can no longer get real chemistry sets, this one-of-a-kind guide explains how to set up and use a home chemistry lab, with step-by-step instructions for conducting experiments in basic chemistry -- not just to make pretty colors and stinky smells, but to learn how to do real lab work: * Purify alcohol by distillation * Produce hydrogen and oxygen gas by electrolysis * Smelt metallic copper from copper ore you make yourself * Analyze the makeup of seawater, bone, and other common substances * Synthesize oil of wintergreen from aspirin and rayon fiber from paper * Perform forensics tests for fingerprints, blood, drugs, and poisons * and much more From the 1930s through the 1970s, chemistry sets were among the most popular Christmas gifts, selling in the millions. But two decades ago, real chemistry sets began to disappear as manufacturers and retailers became concerned about liability. ,em>The Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments steps up to the plate with lessons on how to equip your home chemistry lab, master laboratory skills, and work safely in your lab. The bulk of this book consists of 17 hands-on chapters that include multiple laboratory sessions on the following topics: * Separating Mixtures * Solubility and Solutions * Colligative Properties of Solutions * Introduction to Chemical Reactions & Stoichiometry * Reduction-Oxidation (Redox) Reactions * Acid-Base Chemistry * Chemical Kinetics * Chemical Equilibrium and Le Chatelier's Principle * Gas Chemistry * Thermochemistry and Calorimetry * Electrochemistry * Photochemistry * Colloids and Suspensions * Qualitative Analysis * Quantitative Analysis * Synthesis of Useful Compounds * Forensic Chemistry With plenty of full-color illustrations and photos, Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments offers introductory level sessions suitable for a middle school or first-year high school chemistry laboratory course, and more advanced sessions suitable for students who intend to take the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Chemistry exam. A student who completes all of the laboratories in this book will have done the equivalent of two full years of high school chemistry lab work or a first-year college general chemistry laboratory course. This hands-on introduction to real chemistry -- using real equipment, real chemicals, and real quantitative experiments -- is ideal for the many thousands of young people and adults who want to experience the magic of chemistry.

Here's an article on Wired about it: Geekdad Review

Good book on Organic chemistry Lab Techniques: "Techniques in Organic Chemistry" by Mohrig, Hammond, and Schatz.techniques on amazon.com

Experiments edition of above book:"Modern Projects and Experiments in Organic Chemistry: Miniscale and Williams on Microscale " Experiments on amazon.com

Another good book on Organic lab stuff: "Advanced practical organic chemistry" by Leonard, Lygo, Procter. Advanced Practical organic Chemistry at amazon.com

There are obviously not supposed to be a substitute for textbooks, however. Also, You should already have Vogel's Practical Guide to Chemistry if you don't already. Also, if you are having problems understanding your organic chemistry textbook, I would recommend "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" BOTH I and II editions. It helped me, although I'm still a lazy fuck and probably have to repeat the course because I dont study enough.
========

--------------
Kits/Supplies:

Thompson has a website with followup information on his "Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry..." book here:
"Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments" Website

Lots of good information on it, but the best part is here:

Kits and Sources

Where's he's put together some special kits from Elemental Scientific that are pretty bad ass for the price. Prices are only good through the end of the year so act on it now! You wont find these kits on the elemental scientific website. He also includes sources for chemicals, supplies, scales, etc. GO TO THIS WEBSITE NOW! Also check out elemental scientific's website for a pretty wide variety of well priced items. Definately a great source.

United Glass Technologies: Probably has the best organic lab glassware kits for the price of any place I've seen on the internet. Comes in a nice wood box, unless you are getting 24/40 joints (which totally sucks cause thats the size most of us need). They also have distillation kits. Also sells an extensive variety of other lab stuff at reasonable prices. One of my favorite sites for equipment so far.

http://unitedglasstech.com/

UGT's organic lab kits

http://www.unitednuclear.com/

Not a huge variety but has killer deals on basic stuff. A whole Erlenmeyer flask kit is like 20 bucks here.
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 6-12-2008 at 11:41

Is there a reason you posted this on both Beginings and Reagents and apparatus aquisition?
CrapScientist
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-12-2008 at 12:13

Quote:
Originally posted by Picric-A
Is there a reason you posted this on both Beginings and Reagents and apparatus aquisition?

I wasn't sure which one it belonged in since it deals with both forum topics specifically. It provides references for beginners as well as linking people to good deals for lab apparatus/glassware acquisition, so it fits in both. I'll let the mods figure out which one stays and which one goes.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 6-12-2008 at 19:22

Most of these resources have already been posted. Please use the search function next time, prior to posting.
CrapScientist
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-12-2008 at 20:33

Quote:
Originally posted by bfesser
Most of these resources have already been posted. Please use the search function next time, prior to posting.

Not all of them have, and not all in the same place either. Nor have I seen anything about the wonderful, fully featured kits put together by the "Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry" author that I linked to as well. I'm sorry but I'm not going to search every single goddamned thing I mentioned in that entire list to see if they MAY have been posted before so I can avoid upsetting your delicate sensibilities. I did a search for the first thing mentioned and, holy shit, nothing! so go take a piss somewhere else.

Jesus christ my first post in here isn't even asking any dumb questions about making meth or some other lame shit, I jump right in with a big ole list of great home lab books and SEVERAL deals on complete glassware/chemical kits for people looking to start or upgrade their home laboratories and I get chewed out as a result? Don't you have anything better to do with your time than to tell someone trying to be helpful to "use the search"? If you didnt want to see it, dont click on it in the first place. Why even have a forum at all if we should all should just use a search instead? I'm sure every topic posted in these forums could have been figured out through a google or wikipedia or pubmed search. No this is supposed to be a discussion forum, for people to get together and help each other out. So bite me if you don't appreciate the help.

[Edited on 6-12-2008 by CrapScientist]
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 6-12-2008 at 20:42

I enjoyed the list. Don't mind him/her ;)

Im actually considering getting the Advanced Practical Organic Chem book now :D

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
CrapScientist
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-12-2008 at 20:51

Quote:
Originally posted by Saerynide
I enjoyed the list. Don't mind him/her ;)

Im actually considering getting the Advanced Practical Organic Chem book now :D

thanks dude. Its a great book, you made a good choice. I dont know what your experience level is at but I would recommend supplementing it with "techniques in organic chemistry" too as they each kinda fill out each other's gaps.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 12:28

CrapScientist. Relax. I was just offering a friendly reminder.

Go To Top