Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Acylation of benzene with anhydrides
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 25-1-2009 at 09:28

All of the tools you need to plan the synthesis were given to you by UnintentionalChaos when the mechanism was given (btw, a proton transfer over a distance greater than one bond is frequently facilitated by the solvent).

This chemistry is very old, general and THOUSANDS of references exist, even for free.

We had to take a mandatory IT/search course specifically geared toward scientific publication (perhaps this is because I was there when the "revolution" was taking place and Sadtler was still bound on the shelves;)) . I am not sure if they do this anymore; it is assumed that the average undergrad today is computer-literate (which appears to be a mistake).

It is OK to ask for help, but only after you can demonstrate that you have made an attempt to discern the truth for yourself.

This is especially so when your library either does not carry the journal you need *or* it has an embargo on the current year:mad:.

Cheers,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 29-1-2009 at 22:05

I am currently in my third year of chemistry and I would be lost without my home lab. My home lab has taught me how to research and discover new synthetic methodologies. I am currently taking advanced inorganic chemistry, the first semester did not have a lab. The second semester has a lab because an industrial research and development chemist is teaching the class. For the labs we pick compounds that we are interested in from a list and find procedures for making the compounds and also we are encouraged to improve the procedures, since most of them give low yields of the desired product. Also our professor is teaching us basic glass blowing; I took a semester long individual study class on glass blowing last semester, so I am in charge of helping the other students with the glass blowing. I am currently building a ketene lamp. The reason that organic chemistry has be dumbed down is for the pre-medical students; these students generally hate chemistry and want to be spoon fed. My first semester organic lab was pathetic; only three synthesises. The second semester was only slightly better. It seems like I have been taking just as many math classes as chemistry classes, the emphasis seems to be the dull field of physical chemistry.I have no problem with the math, but would rather be doing synthetic chemistry. This is the way chemistry is going all math, no chemistry. Graduate schools in the US are paying students to come to them; they are so desperate for people because so few people that major in chemistry intend on going on in the field; most tend to go to medical or pharmacy schools.

[Edited on 29-1-2009 by benzylchloride1]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top