Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper Carbide
inkognito
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 1-12-2003 at 04:51
Copper Carbide

hy guys . i wanted to ask you a question , does someone have a right procedure for copper carbide synthesis ? i found something on powerlabs but i don't understand very much . could it be made with copper sulphate instead of copper chloride ???? what are the ratio's and that stuff ?? thanks for any help .

ps. i was thinking ,i have a big copper tube that i use for blasting with calcium carbide .... do you think that some copper carbide was produced every time before blasting the canon ????
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 1-12-2003 at 05:36

There's a reason why acetylene bottles never have copper valves! CuC2 is extremely sensitive! You were lucky you didn't have any premature detonations!

Aren't there any threads about silver/copper acetylide already?

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
inkognito
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-12-2003 at 10:54

i think that i saw one about silver acetylide before , but not about copper acetylide . can you give me some info ? do you have a right procedure ?
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

Mood: swinging

[*] posted on 1-12-2003 at 15:59

Quote:
The very explosive copper acetylides, e.g., Cu2C2 • H2O, can be obtained by reaction of copper(I) salts with acetylene in liquid ammonia or by reaction of copper(II) salts with acetylene in basic solution in the presence of a reducing agent such as hydroxylamine. Copper acetylides can also form from copper oxides and other copper salts. For this reason copper plumbing should be avoided in acetylene systems.
Silver, gold, and mercury acetylides, which can be prepared in a similar manner, are also explosive.
In sharp contrast to the highly explosive Cu2C2 • H2O, the catalyst used for the synthesis of butynediol, Cu2C2 • 2 H2O • 2 C2H2, is not as sensitive to shock or ignition.
Quoted from ULLMANN’S ENCYCLOPEDIA OF INDUSTRIAL CHEMISTRY 6th Edition

In the “Handbook of Preparative Inorganic Chemistry” vol. 2, G. Brauer , Ed. (Academic Press, New York, 2nd ed.) you can find two safe methods for synthesize pure copper carbide. But these are real lab methods.

Hope I could help.
inkognito
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-12-2003 at 07:59

on 1 gram silver goes 10 grams calcium carbide , then i should use a little less calcium carbide ?
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 2-12-2003 at 12:10

you actually should download VOGELs 3rd from www.rhodium.ws/chemistry - and look in the index for copper acetylide. The preparation is described there and to call fairly easy, but you should for heavens sake read and follow the advises given in the book - just to stay proud owner of all your fingers. This stuff is FULMINANT in the sense of the word. It explodes when getting dry and the explosion is violent.

Irgendwas is ja immer
inkognito
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-12-2003 at 04:46

i have trouble finding it , can you give me the full link ?
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 3-12-2003 at 14:41

Wow, you must be seriously mentally retarded. I'm deliberatly trying to be overly mean, but how hard is it to run a search for "Vogel"?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 3-12-2003 at 15:58

http://bcis.pacificu.edu/~polverone/vogel.html

Edit: only Amazon.com outranks my pages when you search with Google for "practical organic chemistry." I'm so happy.

[Edited on 12-4-2003 by Polverone]

Go To Top