Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Experimenting with mercury
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 14-3-2010 at 21:53

I bought 3 pounds of Hg which was very dirty. Rather than deal with the danger of distillation I simply squeezed it through a high quality chamois cloth. Very bright shiny Hg as a result hard to tell from the quarter pound of triple distilled Hg I also bought at a much higher price.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Skyjumper
Hazard to Self

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 15-3-2010 at 10:29

Pics to compare samples of the two?
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 15-3-2010 at 17:24

Maybe someday. Just finished move and still arranging things. Weeks of work. Hg is buried in boxes in truck somewhere 30,000 LBS heavier than truck empty. Hopefully I'll find it before I die or go brain dead from the squeezing operation. Oh wait, cleaned it 5 years ago and can still remember my name. It is still 2007 right?

To aid you in the meantime the last time I looked it was still bright and shiny.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
agorot
Hazard to Self

Mood: like an activated complex

[*] posted on 1-4-2010 at 17:29

I want to buy some mercury to make my own Castner-Kellner cell. I've found this website: http://www.aaaoe.com/product/mineral_metals/mercury.html

I could potentially buy mercury internationally. I'm looking for around 3 kg which should be about 250 mL. I can buy it from normal suppliers for 200 bucks a kilo, but i'm not spending 600 bucks on this project.

Does anyone know about importing stuff like this to the US? Would I be breaking any laws? What are the chances of me getting ripped off?

There is also one supplier on the above list that is in Wyoming. I could potentially buy from him.
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2010 at 18:36

Are there any Hg mines in the U$A? If so, you could try buying some directly from the mine operators, especially if you live close to one of the mines. I believe there are some Hg mines in México, which may also help if you live close to the border.
Skyjumper
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-4-2010 at 18:43

Junk yards, and metal recycle centers may give it to you (why pay hazmat when it can disappear into your hands?) I found a bottle of merc. in an abandoned paper mill :3
gsd
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2010 at 18:54

@agorot

Just to give you a price perspective, off late the market price of pure mercury (at least 99.9999% pure - so called quadrapule distilled mercury) is around $ 650 per flask (1 flask = 34.5 kg).

Try your luck with this mercury processor : M/s Bethlehem Apparatus Co. They are very good. But I must say I dealt with them not as a hobbyist but as a Industrial user.

http://www.bethlehemapparatus.com/

gsd
agorot
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-4-2010 at 18:56

Ironically, I do live close to the border, but I wouldn't dare try crossing it right now. There are HUGE problems right now with drug lords and drug cartels. For example, El Paso, TX is a huge border city between the USA and Mexico. There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30 murders committed DAILY in that ONE city by local drug lords. It's really quite scary. I live a little bit more north than that so I don't have to deal with it as much, but it's still unsettling. By 2050 white people are supposed to be a minority in Texas.
I live in a texas border state.

But the mexican thing is a pretty good idea.

There are mercury mines in Texas, but i'm not so sure that they are still in operation. Also, I don't think they would sell to me.

I would love to explore a mine myself though. pretty dangerous stuff. I don't think I would risk it unless I had a guide that went into mines regularly. I also wouldn't want to be trying to pound away at a wall with a pickaxe in a 100 year old mine :D
agorot
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-4-2010 at 19:07

Quote: Originally posted by gsd  

@agorot

Just to give you a price perspective, off late the market price of pure mercury (at least 99.9999% pure - so called quadrapule distilled mercury) is around $ 650 per flask (1 flask = 34.5 kg).

Try your luck with this mercury processor : M/s Bethlehem Apparatus Co. They are very good. But I must say I dealt with them not as a hobbyist but as a Industrial user.

http://www.bethlehemapparatus.com/

gsd

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4657016

I'm not so concerned with purity. I'm only trying to make crude NaOH, its more of just a curiosity really. NaOH is cheap online.

One of my biggest motivations is the idea that the US is getting pretty crazy lately. We have a pretty radical govt right now in my opinion. I don't want to discuss politics here, but I think that within the next 20 years or so we will see a MAJOR crackdown on chemical availability, and I'd love to be prepared if that happens. They can't ban NaCl and electricity so NaOH is perfectly obtainable from a Caster-Kellner cell.

Even if we don't see this massive banning of substances, I would enjoy stocking up.

Anyone live in the southern US? Wanna go on an adventure in a mine shaft? :D
Skyjumper
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 12:27

stocking up looks bad to this radical gov't Better have an explanation that isnt 'The government sucks'
agorot
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 19:28

Quote: Originally posted by Skyjumper  
stocking up looks bad to this radical gov't Better have an explanation that isnt 'The government sucks'

lol no I was just being honest with people I can be honest with :D

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top