Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: anhydrous CrCl3
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 4-6-2009 at 23:04

Jor, weren't you afraid of cracking test tubes? A very hot test tube on which a cold liquid is dripped is begging for cracks! I always feel scary when working with very hot test tubes. A crack can have nasty consequences and it at least leads to bad spots on the work bench.

But the experiment sounds interesting. The fact that you obtained purple CrCl3 is a good thing. It really surprises me that you do not need a red heat.

You could try the experiment with stronger heating, putting some CrCl3.6H2O in the middle, putting some cotton wads, soacked with CCl4 at the bottom of a test tube end and then strongly heating the CrCl3.xH2O. The test tube must be kept almnost horizontally, but slightly tilted, such that the wads with CCl4 are somewhat higher than the CrCl3.xH2O. The open end must be stoppered LOOSELY with a cork or a dash of glass wool.

When you strongly heat the CrCl3.xH2O, then the heat which goes along the test tube will be sufficient to slowly evaporate away the CCl4 and that will lead to a continuous stream of CCl4 over the CrCl3.xH2O, which is almost free of air.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-6-2009 at 19:05

I found an article regarding the tetrahydrofuranate (didnt realise benzylchloride1 had already mentioned it :( ) that I thought I would share. It'll give you something nice to do with your anhydrous CrCl3, and will also enable you to make organometallic complexes (as the article suggests). Now, in my honest oppinion I find complex chemistry quite boring, but to see some triphenylchromium complex... well that might just convert me :P

Attachment: Chromium trichloride tetrahydrofuranate.pdf (142kB)
This file has been downloaded 836 times

benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 18-6-2009 at 11:01

I found an old Pyrene fire extinguisher, disassembled it, pipetted out the crude carbon tetrachloride and redistilled it. I obtained 299g of carbon tetrachloride from the half filled fire extinguisher. Now I have enough to conduct many organic and inorganic experiments that I have been putting off because this reagent has been unavailable.

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-6-2009 at 13:41

Nice! I made a topic before that old extinguishers might be a good source for peope trying to find CCl4. Good job, I'd like to hear your results.

benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-6-2009 at 20:26

The carbon tetrachloride has a slight carbon disulfide like smell, as it is probably old enough to have been derived from the chlorination of carbon disulfide. I should redistill it from potassium hydroxide to remove the carbon disulfide and collect a narrow fraction; some material boiled below 60C. Most of the material distilled between 65-68 C. The low boiling point is due to the laboratory's high elevation location.

Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2009 at 16:05

As I have plenty CCl4 now (ca. 300mL) I decided to give the CrCl3 synthesis another go. I probably evaporated the CCl4 too fast and a lot of it got out unreacted. Therefore after one run I had a still impure product, but after the second run with the crude material, I got a product wich contains only very small amounts of green solid, and is probably about 98% pure. It can be further purified by subliming in chlorine atmosphere at 700C. That is when you obtain the nice metallic like purple crystals.

Pictures are here:
http://www.amateurchemie.nl/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=299
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 18-9-2009 at 16:23

Pretty! So few compounds are purple.

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2009 at 09:55

Very interesting indeed. Look forward to a report on the sublimation of the anhydrous chloride in Cl2. Might sublimation in dry HCl not be slightly less dangerous?

I made some anhydrous MnCl using the NH4Cl sublimation method. I wonder if hydrated MnCl2 can be converted to anhydrous MnCl2 using your CCl4 method...

I've read about using CCl4 as a chlorinating agent for anhydrous oxides but have never come across this particular method.

Well done.
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-10-2009 at 19:29

A break through has been made in the synthesis of anhydrous chromium (III) chloride by the lab of Benzyl Chloride1. i was reading Inorganic synthesis volume 5 and there is a procedure for the synthesis of uranium (III) chloride from uranium oxide and hexachloropropene yielding UCl3 and trichloroacryloyl chloride. Hexachloropropene can be made by treating unsymmetical heptachloropropane with KOH. The heptachloropropane can be made from chloroform and tetrachloroethylene using a aluminum chloride catalyst. The procedure can be found in Organic Synthesis Collective volume II. From my experiments, chromium (III) chloride can be made by refluxing heptachloropropane with the hydrated salt producing the purple anhydrous chloride. I would not be suprised if any compound with a trichloromethyl group could be used for this experiment; benzotrichloride or possible hexachloroethane, available in large quantities cheaply from the internet. Now CrCl3 is available to any one with a hood and a few common chemicals. If one was to make hexachloropropene and use this for the dehydration of metal chlorides, the acid chloride could be recovered and used to produce acid chlorides of lower boiling point. Two useful reagnets out of one reaction. Just a theory; oxalyl chloride from hexachloroethane???

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 31-10-2009 at 20:13

Nice work. I'm happy to hear of this as I know that I will be wanting some CrCl3 some day to prepare pyridine:CrCl3 for the production of aldehydes. When I looked to buy some CrCl3 the price and the hazmat fees made it prohibitive.

That's a good theory about being able to produce lower bp acid chlorides too. I wish Sauron were here to comment on this.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-10-2009 at 20:28

Magpie, what you are talking about is pyridinium chlorochromate whic is made from chromium trioxide, not CrCl3. Chromium trioxide can be made by treating potassium dichromate with concentrated sulfuric acid, chilling and filtering the red crystals of the trioxide off with a sintered funnel. The procedure can be found in one of the inorganic lab books available in the Sciencemadness Library.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 31-10-2009 at 20:39

Ah...thanks for the correction. I should have caught that Cr+3 wouldn't be much of an oxidizer. :)

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top