Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: explosive forming with water
bluemike
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-1-2009 at 16:28
explosive forming with water

Has anyone tried explosive forming? I have a book (can't find it right now) that describes how to do it. I've always thought it would be a neat way to make art objects/statuary without having to melt and cast metal.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 29-1-2009 at 06:36

Davis mentions explosive-forming in COPAE, based on the Monroe-effect (shaped-charges) and a woman whose name escapes me produces sculptures similarly in Albuquerque (NM).
I'd imagine it's quite difficult though; availability of the materials being the first drawback.
gnitseretni
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-1-2009 at 07:45

I've tried it a couple of times to make hemispherical copper liners for shaped charges. I cut out square pieces of copper that fit exactly over the die (tool steel die from a punch and die set had from Harbor freight) and hot glued it to the die so water couldn't seep in. I then placed it inside a 1/4" thick steel bucket filled with water and hung a detonator (about .5g PETN) about 3 inches above the die. It was set off remotely.

It worked PERFECTLY the first time I did it!! Well, I mean it was perfect to the naked eye.(don't have a microscope:P) Unfortunately, I believe it was more luck than anything else because I never managed to get another one like it! (had to use a punch to smooth the other ones out)

I blame it on the fact that I didn't evacuate the air from underneath the copper sheet, which from what I read is how it's done. I don't know what else it could be.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2009 at 08:18

Quote:
Originally posted by gnitseretni
I've tried it a couple of times to make hemispherical copper liners for shaped charges.

Did you use the hemi-liner in a charge, gnitseretin, and was it effective/a success?
gnitseretni
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-1-2009 at 13:32

Yes, all of them worked fine. But then I only used it on 1/2" thick steel plate because that's the thickest I had to practice on. All of them had a very short standoff (3/4" to an inch) except for one which as about 3' away from the target. It penetrated but the hole was half the size of the others with many little craters all around.

Some pics..

Entry holes

Exit holes

Oh btw, that plate was cut in half with a LSC (aluminum liner)
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2009 at 13:47

Really nice stuff, gnitseretni; axt will have to look to his laurels. . .
The bit of spalling in front might be from too small a stand-off.
Concave liners are the way to go for amateurs.
They could be shaped by vacuum as well as by explosive forming.
A concave rubber-lined die with a central hole for evacuation might fit the purpose.

[Edited on 30-1-2009 by hissingnoise]
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2009 at 10:39

Many years ago while celebrating the 4th of July I remotely ignited some 'welding gas and oxidizing gas' in a 3 pound sheet metal coffee can with a plastic lid. Most of the time the plastic lid was just blown off with a satisfying bang. I noticed the bottom of the can was formed to the pattern of the asphalt street. I had ideas about doing some art with thin sheets of metal and laying objects under the metal and using plaster forms to create metal wall coverings for my kitchen counter back-splash. Smaller pieces could be separately formed and then soldered or welded to a larger back piece. I never did do any more with the idea.
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 12:02

I think that would be very popular if you could post or link video and texts please

Go To Top