Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Acidified Sodium Chlorite (Chlorine Dioxide)
User999
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 17:38
Acidified Sodium Chlorite (Chlorine Dioxide)

I was looking to buy some Pet Odor disinfectant since the Hyrogen Peroxide wasn't cutting it and I came across 'Stablized Chlorine Dioxide'. I assume this is really buffered Sodium Chlorite and not CLO2. But since Sodium Chlorite can be explosive when dried how is it being used as a disinfectant? I gather it's the low concentration.

Further reading gave me 2400 ppm Sodium Chlorite and 1.8% Citric Acid in equal volumes as a disinfectant. The only concern I have with this is storing the Sodium Chlorite. I know i should be mixing it in solution to store it, but it sounds like spills can be problematic. How nasty is this stuff? I see there is some cult that drinks it.

The next problem assuming safe storage of the SC solution is purchasing a small amount for a sane price. Based on the above math (please advise if incorrect), a pound of this stuff would make me rougly 378 litres. I found a pound for $75 CDN, but this seems way overpriced and I don't think I need a pound.

I'm also looking for a small quantity of Sodium Percarbonate in Canada too BTW for a different use if anyone has any tips.
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 18:13

I've asked about it before, and I still don't know of a satisfactory answer... :P (mods, you might want to merge...)

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
User999
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 20:20

Yeah,

I read your mouthwash question, but I felt my topic was different enough to start a new topic. Although I assume the Odorcide (Expel) and your mouthwash are similar products. They really don't provide enough info to tell.

Here's some more info on your mouthwash Q BTW.

http://www.profresh.com/chlorine_dioxide_mouthwash.html
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 04:50

Sodium chlorite as a pure solid is not explosive. I have 40 grams of this solid around for a long time already and it still sits there in its small container, waiting to be unleashed in a nice acidic environment, where it can show its full potential :D

The only important thing when storing NaClO2 is that one must avoid impurities (especially organic ones), because those can react with the NaClO2 in a violent way.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Ragnarok
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 15:42

ClO2 is used for drinking water chlorinations, o it can't be that toxic. And I think it das to be generated on-site, so storing the raw materials shouldn't be a huge risk, otherwise they wouldn't bother with it. But that's just my educated guess.
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 14:22

Chlorine is also used in drinking water chlorination ;)

ClO2 is only used at very low concentration, just like ozone, to clean drinking water. :)

However chlorine, chlorine dioxide and ozone are all very poisonous by inhalation.
Ragnarok
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 22:52

Toxic, maybe. But very poisonous... definately not. At least not chlorine. Remember, in WWI they used copious amounts on unprotected troops and most of the ones who were outdoors survived.
They are toxic due to their oxidizing properties, as in they atack the mucous membranes they come in contact with and the mechanism of death is pulmonary edema and stuff like that.
Totally different from HCN, H2S or phogene, which block certian vital enzymes, so even small quantities cause death.
If you used high quantities in water it would be quite bad, because they would oxidize your stomach lining, causing indigestion or even ulcers.
Respect them, as the strong oxidizers they are, but do not fear them like if they were the devil.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 23:51

They are not systemic poisons, but they are only poisonous because of their corrosive properties. I compare them with a knife or some other sharp tool, which also easily can damage your body at the point of contact, but is not capable of wreaking havoc on sensitive processes inside your body.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top