Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Something Else to Do with Your Red P
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 06:12
Something Else to Do with Your Red P

In the course of studying the chemistry of S2Cl2 I stumbled across an interesting reacton that for some of you (unfortunatelt not me) may be very accesible.

I have unearthed a lot of ways to make POCl3 but unfortunately not PCl3. That one is quite elusive, requiring white phosphorus. Red P gives only PCl5.

However, in Mellor on Sulfur is mentioned

2 S + PCl5 -> S2Cl2 + PCl3

So if you can obtain red P as some of you can, and prepare PCl5, you can employ sulfur to obtain PCl3 and sulfur monochloride.

The products ought to be readily fractionated.

H.Goldschmidt, Chem.Centr., (3), 12, 489,1881

I think that is the German version of Chem Abstracts and so the full text may be unobtainable.

[Edited on 10-2-2009 by Sauron]

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 02:34

Huh. No takers? I rather like this prep. Starting with only two elements, plus the third element Cl2, and in two operations you can have three useful and interesting compounds:

PCl5 (keep some)

PCl3

S2Cl2

Nothing wrong with that!

Pomzazed
Hazard to Self

Mood: Acylated

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 02:57

Well the reaction looks very interesting, especially when you can make another substance with sulfur monochloride! (add ammonia to obtain S4N4)

Unfortunately I have no P on hand atm.

:(

[Edited on 11-2-2009 by Pomzazed]

Don't stare at me making fumes... I'm just experimenting with some gas...
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 05:50

At least you are in a country where you can buy it when you want.

not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 06:35

I suspect that elemental phosphorous is the deal breaker for many folks. Even if all you can get ised, making yellow isn't that difficult.

So what happens if you react chlorine with P4S10 ? Or Fe2P with Cl2 or Br2? I ask because in the past I've had opportunity to buy drums of crude Fe2P, and I believe that P4S10 is more available than elemental phosphorous although several months go I saw a yellow phosphorous tank truck (and me without some empty bottles).
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 07:39

That is an interesting set of reactions Sauron!

In addition, another sulphur-phosphorus chloride reaction is:

PCl3 + S => PSCl3, thiophosphoryl chloride, analogus to the oxidation of PCl3 to POCl3.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 07:53

Red P with H2O2 (50%) is hypergolic ...smoke and then fire within a few seconds...

I mention this because I thought red P is less troubles than white P, but I found out that it can be dangerous aswel!

2P(red) + 5H2O2 --> 2H2O(g) + 2H3PO4 (+ a lot of heat and smoke)

But I have only used 3g of my valuable 100g red P to perform the experiment (twice).
A friend of mine proposed me to use that mix to make a rocket fuel...but it would cost too much to make a large test and I don't want to contribute to acid rains :cool:

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Pomzazed
Hazard to Self

Mood: Acylated

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 09:36

A phosphate acid rain wont be too bad? (P fertilizer) stick in bicarb in the field for more pressure (CO2, H2O) and acid neutralization :D

Don't stare at me making fumes... I'm just experimenting with some gas...
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 10:42

not_important, I posed that question about chlorination of P4S10 a couple years ago and never got any answers, nor have I seen any lit. on it.

I have lit. on a number of interesting reactions of P4S10, of which I have about 250 g Merck in small metal cans.

One of the best uses is to make Lawesson's reagent for thiations, which is a lot better than using P4S10 directly.

P4S10 might do something rude like explode if chlorinated, and if it doesn't, most likely produces a mixture of P and S chlorides and PS-chlorides that may be awkward to separate. S2Cl2, SCl2, PCl3, PCl5, PSCl3 are all possibilities and that is assuming anhydrous and inert atmosphere conditions. Otherwise add POCl3 to the list. So I deem it unlikely that any single product can be produced and isolated in a preparatively useful yield.

Mellor talks about S2Cl2 and "a phosphorus sulfide" giving PSCl3 but as is often the case dealing with Mellor citations is like trying to pick up Hg with a fork. Are they referring to P4S10 or P2S3? What is the yield and what are other products? Inorg Syn mentions about 5-6 methods for making PSCl3 but this is not one of them. I take that as a hint.

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by Sauron]

stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 11:20

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron

One of the best uses is to make Lawesson's reagent for yhiations

That sounds like the Mickey Mouse reagent for yodelations.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 12:20

I tried the reaction between PCl5 and S. The chemicals were mixed very well and heated in a test tube (appr. 300 mg PCl5 and a small quantity of S, excess PCl5 is used). The reaction does not proceed very well. I heated for a few minutes. The sulphur melts and the PCl5 largely sublimes. After cooling down, most of the sulphur still is unreacted and the mix completely solidified again.

It is not true that no reaction occurs at all. A horrible smell comes from the test tube, quite different from the smell of PCl5 (which is not bad, it stings, but the smell is not too bad if concentration is low, it resembles the smell of SO2Cl2). When water is added, then there is the well-known hissing noise of PCl5, reacting with water. Besides the smell of HCl, there also is a smell of H2S.

So, from this I conclude that a small amount of sulphur reacted, but indeed only a small part. If this reaction is carried out, then probably it must be carried out in a closed vessel, where the chemicals are kept in contact at high temperature for a prolonged time.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 13:01

You did not exclude moisture. HCl would only form from hydrolysis. Dry the S, run this under N2 or Ar, you ought to get no HCl, no POCl3, no PSCl3 (which forms from PCl3 and D) and no H2S (after all, if only S and PCl5 are present, where is the hydrogen coming from?)

It would really be nice to have the original publication rather than one line in Mellor, wouldn't it?

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 13:11

I think you missed this sauron...
Quote:

When water is added, then there is the well-known hissing noise of PCl5, reacting with water. Besides the smell of HCl, there also is a smell of H2S.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 13:15

In the first part of the experiment I did not obtain HCl, but a mix of PCl5, S and a small mount of reacted chemicals. The second part of the experiment, where I added water, was just to confirm that some of the sulphur reacted. If no sulphur had reacted, there would not have been H2S.

Indeed, it would be great if the original paper could be obtained. Unfortunately I have no equipment for working under N2 or Ar, but I can dry the sulphur (e.g. by heating it at 70 C for a longer time) and repeat the experiment, but I do not really expect a different outcome.

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 13:40

Maybe you are right and it is a waste of time.

But even without N2 or Ar, you could evacuate and seal a tube. You could make use of a vacuum dessicator and a pump to dry the S over H2SO4 or P2O5.

Maybe the reaction requires more time than you gave. I would expect the temp to be lower as well. Maybe the S should be added more slowly to the PCl5. Lots of maybes, I know, but they all come down to absence of original procedural details.

So all I am saying is, if you want this reaction to suceed, maybe it is worth trying a few such gambits.

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 13:46

Sauron, what I can do is mix some PCl5 and carefully dried S and put these in a small glass ampoule, which is sealed. Then I'll put this ampoule aside for a longer time and see how it changes over time. I am confident that this can be done safely, I do not expect any gaseous products, which may lead to rupture of the ampoule due to pressure buildup. Maybe the ampoule should be heated, but too strong heating may cause cracking of the ampoule.

I am willing to experiment a little with this reaction. It sounds quite interesting and there may be nice and interesting results. But as you stated, without the original documents, it remains a thing of trial and error.

[Edited on 12-2-09 by woelen]

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 13:55

If you are going to heat it, keep it below the bp of PCl3, or use a Carius tube (thick walled.)

It may all come to noting, but you never know till you try.

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 19:00

Quote:
I have unearthed a lot of ways to make POCl3 but unfortunately not PCl3. That one is quite elusive, requiring white phosphorus. Red P gives only PCl5.

Maybe you should be looking in the PCl3 section of Mellor instead of the S volume?

Dumas managed to pull it off in 1859.
http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/CadresFenetre?O=30000000347967&...
T.E. Thorpe's experience with RP and Cl (Proc. Roy. Soc. 24, 283 (1876): "The reaction is very regular, and large quantities of the liquid may be thus obtained with great ease and rapidity." The apparatus used probably looked like the one in the first preparation in Vanino using white P. Obviously you either stop the chlorine before it adds to all the PCl3, distill off the PCl3 as it is formed, or add white P to the PCl3 containing PCl5. Likely all three.

And if desired one can then use the PCl3 as solvent for the second preparation in Vanino, which uses either form of P.

So I'm not sure what the problem is.

The abstract of Goldschmidt is quite long but not great reading, and the original paper is indeed very obscure. Chemisches C[Z]entralblatt is not so obscure at present, many volumes being available at Google Books including this one.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 00:36

S.C., the old lit. notwithstanding, as well as the Inorg Syn prep and Vanino, we have the contrary experience of our own very talented garace Chemist who insists most vehemently that in his hands, RP gives only PCl5, and that attempts to prepare PCl3 by adding the stoichiometric amount of RP to PCl5 do not succeed.

Accordingly I am always looking for procedures such as this one.

garage chemist asserts that PCl3 can only be prepared by the chlorination of WP, preferably in CS2 soln.

WP is inconveniently unavailable.

If you wish to champion these old preps, please argue with garage chemist and not with me.

I have PBr3 and can get more easily so I can proced:

PBr3 -> RP -> PCl5 -> PCl3 by the present method. If it wI was looking in Mellor on S for other information entirely and simply ran across this entry.

I do not have Mellor on P, mainly because you have not posted it. If you were to do so I would be most delifgted.

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 01:37

Download link is:

http://books.google.com/books/pdf/Chemisches_Zentralblatt.pd...

cut & paste it to get the PDF of the volume, linking into a book on Google is not always successful nor is extracting text from the OCRed book.

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by not_important]
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 03:22

I just tried the link using Firefox, and it popped up the download dialog.

Make sure you don't get the HTML 'break' string that is showing up at the end of the URL or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/b5yfe6

which worked for me. I'd chop the pages out, but I've not good PF editing tools and not enough disk space to process that file with the tools I have.

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by not_important]
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 04:10

I did not post a link because I already downloaded it some time ago and figured that anyone could find it as well as I could.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ExcAAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA489
Either images or text can be saved from there.

I most certainly have posted the N and P volume of Mellor.

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by S.C. Wack]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 08:39

The DjVu version is useless.

The pdf is nearly so but at least the pages that were blank in the DjVu are present sort of.

Most page numbers are cut off.

The logical pages are way off the actual by 20-30 pages.

I am trying to find p 489. This is on logical p 527 of the pdf.

The Goldschmidt paper is not an abstract. It is full text. Unfortunately the p 490 is mostly unreadable, but the reaction I am interested in is later in the article.

No details unfortunately but Goldschmidt claims that indeed

2S + PCl5 -> S2Cl2 + PCl3

He also claims that Fe and Pb reduce PCl5 similarly while Cu gives a mix of CuCl2 and copper phosphide.

Fe + PCl5 -> FeCl2 + PCl3

You may recall that Tarbutton observed that the Fe or stainless steel walls of his autoclaves reduced part of the POCl3 he prepared from P2O5 and NaCl, to PCl3 (10-25% as PCl3) JACS in 1940, I have posted it before.

These reactions may be slow. Tarbutton ran his experiments at 300-400 C for 20 hours if I recall.

According to Goldschmidt, Ag reduces POCl3 to PCl3

2 Ag + POCl3 -> Ag2O + PCl3

which is very interesting as the Ag is readily recovered in the metallic state with thiosulfate soln. (The Tarn-X reaction)

Al and Zn will reduce PCl5 to PCl3 and so will Hg.

[Edited on 13-2-2009 by Sauron]

Attachment: Pages f527-533.pdf (566kB)
This file has been downloaded 720 times

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 15:29

Quote:
I am trying to find p 489.

My link doesn't go there for you?

Back to more Mellor off-topicness, realize that volumes 2 and 8 were posted long ago, and many posts dealing with my books are probably now hidden in references section and the rapidshare links are dead anyways. I believe that at one time they were in the library, and thought they still were. In any case it doesn't matter, because as I've said before, links to all of my books and many others are in every post I make, and have been for some time now.

I've been meaning to scan some of Gmelin's on P halides, among other things, as part of a larger project. I suppose this gives me a good excuse to do so unless someone knows of this being done already.

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by S.C. Wack]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 16:04

No, your link did not. I finally obtained the complete Bd 12 from archive.org with help from gsd, who showed me how to find a link to the pdf without having to hassle with Google Books.

The DjVu was useless.

The PDF is pretty atrocious, page numbers are mostly trimmed off, so navigation is a matter of finding a page with its number and then counting down to the target. The lofical pages are almost 40 out from the originals. I found 489 on logical 527.

And in the end there is no more detail than was present in Mellor' although some of the other reactions, presented just as sketchily, as interesting.

----------------

2 Ag + POCl3 -> Ag2O + PCl3

So 216 g silver powder ought to reduce a mol (153 g) POCl3 to PCl3 (137 g)

Goldschmidt describes a series of reactions that can follow, I would therefore keep Ag in excess by looping the POCl3 through a reservoir flask and pumping relatively small volumes at a time through a bed of Ag (column) and remove aliquots to monitor progress.

Refractive index ought to do the trick.

[Edited on 13-2-2009 by Sauron]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top