Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CRC Handbook Editions
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 22:50
CRC Handbook Editions

I currently have the 1st Student Edition (1988).

Does anyone know what's the difference between the regular editions and the "student" editions? What information from the regular edition am I missing out on?

And is the newest version always the best? By that, I mean, do they ever remove information from the book? So maybe something is in the old eds, but not in the new ones?

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 00:23

Quote:
Originally posted by Saerynide
And is the newest version always the best? By that, I mean, do they ever remove information from the book? So maybe something is in the old eds, but not in the new ones?

They *do* remove things. For example, the detail of the info on organic compound solubility gets less for the newer tables. Presumably more compounds are listed in the newer ones, but with less detail for the compounds in both.
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 03:48

Hi,

I'm going to agree with James Zubrick's extreme yet wholly defensible words in the Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual:

Quote:
by James Zubrick
For my money, you want a fancy $17.50 doorstop, get a CRC 61st and up. You want useful information, get a CRC 60th and back.

Do what I do: try to get hold of a physical copy of an old one (you may have luck in a used-book store), and just get newer versions from the Web. ;)

sparky (~_~)

P.S. I love my 35th, that's for sure:

[Edited on 11-2-2009 by sparkgap]

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 11:08

Hmm.. Ok I will sell mine back to the used book store and get an older edition (and it's even cheaper too! :D)

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 18:32

Well if you love the 35th ed, you'd really love the one I use, 1939's 23rd, which sold for $3.50 at the time.
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 19:27

I use the 26th ed. which I found in an old bookstore. And although it has torn in two, I prefer this over the larger, newer volumes, not only because of solubility details but also since it is handy for flipping (through), instead of having to flop through chunks of pages. I like older books more in general anyways.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 19:41

I agree - older is easier to use and has more useful information for the general chemist.

My CRC is 49th ed, sold to me by a colleague for $5. But I much prefer my 10th revised edition of Lange's Handbook (1967) as it is small and easy to use. It was given to me by a colleague.

[Edited on 11-2-2009 by Magpie]

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by Magpie]

Lange.jpg - 35kB
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2009 at 09:51

The International Critical Tables (1930) should have any solubility data on organic and inorganic compounds that is missing from the newer editions of the CRC Handbook Of Chemistry & Physics. I posted a link for downloading it a few weeks ago. That is probably why newer editions of the CRC Handbook have less such data.
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2009 at 06:07

Are there not the CD=versions of the CRC-Handbook ? I once ago considered purchasing one ... ; some downloads anywhere ?
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2009 at 06:11

@JohnWW: The posted rapidshare-link (critical tables) says: "File could not be found"
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

[*] posted on 15-2-2009 at 09:17

You'll find the electronic CRC's at ebook sites like gigapedia (which I despise since people bury anything interesting under a mountain of free books from the publisher that no one reads). I had the International Critical Tables at my site for many months, without a single download, so I deleted them (several hundred MB) in favor of Rhodium/Hive or something. Lost them and much more with yet another hard drive failure.
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2009 at 13:21

The often mentioned gigapedia-site takes only google-mail accounts for registration, "because of spam", as they say.
But this is a risk: Anytime later they might hand their data to the lawyers, for starting writing bills to anyone who ever downloaded anything from there. Even if one downloads only really free stuff, it still may be a risk, since neither lawyers nor judges might care about that.
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 15-2-2009 at 13:38

Quote:
Originally posted by S.C. WackI had the International Critical Tables at my site for many months, without a single download, so I deleted them (several hundred MB) in favor of Rhodium/Hive or something. Lost them and much more with yet another hard drive failure.

That is a shame - I wish I had bothered to check. I didn't realize I was interested in this until JohnWW posted a link in another thread, but the file is too big for me to download with a free account, sadly.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

[*] posted on 15-2-2009 at 16:37

No one downloads anything from gigapedia ever - they host nothing but URL's. Anyone afraid of gmail or gigapedia having their IP can just use a public computer, proxy, TOR, or whatever works. I never use the electronic CRC, so I can't recommend downloading it; maybe I'm an idiot.

One may find the ICT here. The various pdf's are linked to each other, the top of the hierarchy being 44919_TOC.
http://ifile.it/m2s437w
http://ifile.it/aksn23z
http://ifile.it/3hvd05x
http://ifile.it/rm196ap
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2009 at 18:38

Quote:
Originally posted by chief
@JohnWW: The posted rapidshare-link (critical tables) says: "File could not be found"
You are wrong.
Here is a PDF download in one part: 318.0 Mb
http://www.rapidsharedata.com/go/107183154/International_Cri...
which automatically links to a rs254gc2.rapidshare.com download; add the extension .pdf after downloading. The actual rapidshare.com link is hidden, to foil the Copyright Gestapo. (Although, being published in 1930, the copyright has expired in nearly all countries).
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 15-2-2009 at 20:14
CRC Edition

Sparkgap, both my 52nd and 62nd editions of the CRC have been very good for me.
I was very dissappointed in the 81st edition. They started giving solubilities at 25 C
only in the inorganic section. The 81st edition is a doorstop.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

Go To Top