Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Concentration of ortophosphoric acid?
Ebao-lu
Unregistered

[*] posted on 27-2-2009 at 14:30

Then you should find it. Why dont you want to do your RDX from urotropine dinitrate? It would be more safe. There is even a route from CTMTNA(cyclotrimethylenetrinitrosoamine) with H2O2 (here they use very low temp, if i remember correctly)

[Edited on 27-2-2009 by Ebao-lu]
WaveFront
Harmless

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 27-2-2009 at 19:18

Yes, it should be more safe from the dinitrate. Anyway, I had a mixture of ideas in mind due to the lack of reactives, the obsessive idea for me was to find a source o perfectly anhydrous nitric, fot this nitration or others.

Now I am happy because I know that I can distillate nitric and later add a little of dehydrated phosphoric and it will probably work well. (Avoiding allways poisonous PH3)

Pyrex glass should be resistant to hot phosphoric. I am not worried about the acid fumes, they are easy to neutralize and ventilate.

I am a bit lazy now, for personal reasons. But all of this is relatively safe in mg or drops scale. I love drop scale. In seconds, you can boil gently a couple drops a H2O2 in a spoon and make it so concentrated that you can carbonize wood.

If I make further advances about this, promise to share ;)
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2009 at 04:04

No, pyrex glass is not resistant to hot phophoric, at least not hot conc. phosphoric. This was mentioned upthread if you cared to read.

Quote:

Bear in mind that hot conc. phosphoric acid also etches glass

Quote:

Glass is not INERT to hot conc H3PO4

Any source of perfectly anhydrous nitric acid you get will not stay anhydrous for very long. It will absorb water vapour from the atmosphere to dilute itself.

[Edited on 28-2-2009 by DJF90]
WaveFront
Harmless

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 28-2-2009 at 04:13

Pyrex glass is more resistant than normal glass (high content silicon dioxide). For an amateur experiment, it should be enough.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/70r0r1108t918174/fulltex...

EDIT
But definitely not inert, and is expensive for damage it. Even quartz is not totally resistant:

http://www.dl-ld.com/doce/indexe02.htm

[Edited on 28-2-2009 by WaveFront]
Ebao-lu
Unregistered

[*] posted on 28-2-2009 at 23:13

test tubes are quite resistant. i've concentrated H3PO4 in them for prolonged time, and their weight did not change (i have a precision of 100mg).
Nitro-esteban
Harmless

Mood: inert

[*] posted on 17-4-2013 at 18:45

Its true, test tubes are far more resistant than other types of glass. They even resist hot sodium hydroxide for short a time.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top