Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chlorate anodes?
lucky123
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 06:59
Chlorate anodes?

I was wondeing if it was possible to use magnetite jewlery beads as anodes in a perchlorate cell? Also would burning steel wool create iron oxide you could make magnetite anodes out of by melting? What about making a ceramic substrate magnetite anode is this possible to do?
wolfman
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-8-2009 at 15:30

Hello, I am new, and I also have a question about anode materials: can the Platinum catalyst from catalytic converters be used? It seems to me that it might be possible, and if so, this could be another source of anode materials.
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-8-2009 at 19:10

Quote: Originally posted by wolfman  
Hello, I am new, and I also have a question about anode materials: can the Platinum catalyst from catalytic converters be used? It seems to me that it might be possible, and if so, this could be another source of anode materials.

Pretty sure it won't since there is so little platinum, and it is distributed in a non-conducting ceramic mass and mixed with other metals. Look for what has been posted on this site and others about it, I think it'll help you out a lot when it comes to making anodes.

lucky123, I don't know if the jewelery will work or not, you'd have to try it, but look around this forum there is a ton of information about making chlorate anodes from lead dioxide, and all sorts of things. It is also scattered all over the internet, and you may find it very useful.

Also, this doesn't really go in the energetic materials section - its a topic based on anode material.

Swede
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 08:49

Come look in the technochemistry section... all the info you'll ever need is there.

In a nutshell, graphite and MMO-coated Ti mesh both make chlorate and are practical for the home experimenter, with MMO being the material of choice. Pretty much everything else known to man has been tried. Pt works but is very expensive. Focus on MMO for chlorate, and either Pt or Lead Dioxide for perchlorate. There are dozens if not hundreds of guys here who have tried everything else, and they all pretty much fail. That doesn't stop us from trying new things. I am trying to figure out a way to dope and make conductive alumina oxide tubules.
bquirky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-8-2009 at 01:04

Dose a big solid slab of lead (say melted into a large glass testtube and then shatterd) hold up for any moderate period of time ? or dose it all turn to oxide powder?
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2009 at 01:39

Would it even produce chlorine? Using iron nails doesn't, it just makes an iron chloride, which turns to an iron hydroxide. Lead would probably do the same. I bet it would react. Either way I'm sure the question has been asked and answered already. Isn't there a decent anode thread already?

Swede
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-8-2009 at 07:17

4+ years of talk and experimentation:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5050
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2009 at 17:02

Hello Folks,

In from Rogue science gentlemen??
Yee old jewlery Magnetite beads will not conduct electricity so they fall at the first hurdle. There are some (short and sweet???) Anode threads over in Technochemistry.
Try Graphite with addition of acid to cell for Chlorate making, or MMO if you can obtain it.
Platinum or Lead Dioxide for Perchlorate.
Try a Manganese Dioxide Anode with pH controll for a Chlorate cell. It would be an interesting project.
No one has tried Graphite in a divided cell for Perchlorate. Will it work and not give excessive Graphite erosion? Guess you will have to try it and see.

Dann2
wolfman
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-8-2009 at 07:28

Ok, cool. I guess I should have looked in technochemistry first. I only posted here because it was the first chlorate related thread I came across.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 8-8-2009 at 09:26

Quote: Originally posted by dann2  
Hello Folks,
No one has tried Graphite in a divided cell for Perchlorate. Will it work and not give excessive Graphite erosion? Dann2

I'd imagine graphite erosion will be excessive for perchlorates in any type of cell, but trying it is the only way of checking---IIRC, some people used to steep their graphite in linseed oil overnight and claimed improved anode integrity for chlorates. . .
Has anyone tried that?
Xenoid
National Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 8-8-2009 at 12:27

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  

--IIRC, some people used to steep their graphite in linseed oil overnight and claimed improved anode integrity for chlorates. . .
Has anyone tried that?

Duh! - Why don't people search before posting!

There is a thread on "Treating Gouging Rods" here:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9184#p...

And other discussion here:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5050&a...
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=306&am...

There is considerable scope for amateur experimentation here!
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 8-8-2009 at 13:58

I knew I'd seen it here but seaching linseed oil came up blank. . .

Go To Top