Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Material Acquistion (Newbie question)
thorazine
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 14:30
Material Acquistion (Newbie question)

Hi.

I'm searching material to begin my home lab. I've found this company in India www.starscientificindia.com and they post to europe (where iam).

What do you think about this list (anexed) ? Is just for begin! There's some dispensable or some material to add? I think the prices are nice! I'm a bit confused with the size of adapters: whats the size i need to this condensers?

Sorry, i'm newbie in this..and i'm sorry by the bad english!

PS: You could find the catalog here: http://www.starscientificindia.com/pdf/euro.pdf

Attachment: Lab material.xls (36kB)
This file has been downloaded 697 times

panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 14:53

I wouldn't buy Indian or Chinese glass. Glassware from these countries is not standardised and I have heard reports of the economy glass equipment breaking when used in the lab!

Much better off buying glassware in europe, either from a lab supply company or from eBay, very affordable prices. Go with Schott or Pyrex personally it is all standard joints etc. B14-B24 is most suited for the home lab, I prefer B19 myself.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
thorazine
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 15:21

panziandi,
Oh..really? How i found the certificate http://www.starscientificindia.com/quality.htm i thought that was standardised!

Humm..i've been searching in europe for glassware and all the companys only sell and post large quantities to schools or other companys. At ebay, the only guy who sells products at low prices only posts to UK. Its a lot expensive buy piece by piece because of the prices of postage.

Thanks for your atention! :)

PS - Anyone has bought asian material? :)
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 20:51

I bought an asian heavy duty 1000mL FB flask, I have put it through quite a lot of use, with absolutely no problems. On the other hand I also bought some asian pipettes and a graduated cylinder and I am disappointed with the quality of graduations/writing on their bodies, as it is sometimes difficult to see exactly where the lines are.

That being said, I once had poor luck with pyrex brand glassware. It was a vacuum adapter which had excessive amounts of bubbles in the glass where the tubulation joins the main body of the piece; although it works fine...

On the whole though, I have had a lot of positive experience with quality glass, and I try to avoid off brands unless the price is right. Some asian glass is ok, some is really bad; so it is much more of a gamble.

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 23:45

I have some beakers that came from India and are primo .. just be careful .. especially if you buy them on ebay. Pantry Scientific has some really nice glass from asian sources by way of American standards

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 02:41

Thorazine, which country are you in? In most western countries, suppliers do sell glassware to individuals no problem, but are reluctant to sell chemicals.

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
thorazine
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-3-2009 at 09:02

I'm from portugal! Yes..i've found VWR from here and they sell to individuals. The only problem now is that is very expensive and only a student.. :) Lets see.. :S

Go To Top