Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Why publish on JOC?
gogo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2009 at 05:05
Why publish on JOC?

My boss wants to publish my work on JOC. However, the paper should be accepted before June, or I will not be able to get my degree. Well, will it be in time if I submit it at this time?

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2009 at 06:10

By June, in 3 months or less?? Not damn likely! Peer-reviewed academic journals like the JOC take at least the best part of a year, and often longer, to go through the peer-reviewing (by several academics) and editing stages before publication is approved, and even then the most sought-after journals (including the JOC) usually have backlogs of approved papers awaiting publication. Have you looked at other journals besides the JOC, including ones published outside the U$A and UK?

gogo
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-3-2009 at 04:30

why? my boss told me it should be accepted in 1 month! i am not sure how long it will be reviewed in refrees' hand?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 23-3-2009 at 04:48

You might get an answer by the referees within one month, that is realistic, but you will most likely have to do a revision of your paper and in some cases the revision will be sent back to the referees which can take additional time. Also, keep in mind that JOC requires you to prepare the supporting material, which is a very tedious work (it can take more time to write the supporting material than to write your paper). After you get the paper accepted (if!) it will still take some time for it to be published as an ASAP paper and much more to get it truly published (to obtain the page numbers). The average time from submitting to acceptance vary greatly from journal to journal (and even much more so based on individual cases), but what varies even more is the time between submitting it and to get it published (in some journals this can take a year or more! Not in ACS journals though, these are relatively fast.). Publishing a paper is not something that can be done in less than a month unless you are some big name (which is usually enough to corrupt just about any journal's editing system) or if you publish just a communication/letter of something that gets marked as "urgent" by the referees.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
bquirky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-3-2009 at 05:19

ultra generally speaking a few journals allow you to publish "letters" which are generally much shorter / faster and involve a higher degree of novelty. but don't normally have the same impact factor as a full paper

Chemistry is not my day job field so i cant really suggest any chemistry specific journals :\

Although its starting to seem like there are some serious players on this 'armature' chemistry site :)

still at least we are getting smacked down by someone that isn't 12 :)

gogo
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-3-2009 at 18:18

Hoooo!
Thank you for your reply!
What I want is only the acceptance, i do not care about the assignment of page numbers. so, which one is better if i want to short the time within a month from submitting to be accepted? waht is more, the IF of the journal should be >3. Thanks!
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 24-3-2009 at 00:16

If you really have something hot you can first send it to ChemComm where they discard submissions within one week and generally get the referees to reply really fast. It needs to be a communication, therefore it has to have some novelty, originality and urgency. However, they discard most submission already on the editor level, so unless you really have something good, do not even bother.
If you want a more full proof acceptance, Tetrahedron and Synthesis (and their letter versions, Tetrahedron letters and Synlett) are relatively fast and accept anything that is at least of minimal quality. However, their impact factor is somewhat bellow 3. If you think you have chances for JOC, then send it and take the risk of getting the refusal and postponing your degree. I think it is worth it. Especially if you will continue your work in an research or academic institution, then it is nice to have a JOC paper in your bibliography. However, if you want to continue with a job in the industry, then having a paper in a good or in a less good journal means just about the same.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top