Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: allylbenzene distillation issue
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 24-4-2009 at 08:57
allylbenzene distillation issue

After being quoted some really ridiculous prices for allylbenzene I decided to make it. I followed a published (H E Carter, J Biol Chem 108, 619 (1935) procedure using a Grignard reagent and allyl Br. Distilling the material after breaking up the complex with dilute acid I collected some residula material at 45*/aspirator vac and again with a new flask at 65-75* I ran an air bubbler and immediately got a visible vapor on top of the distillate that will not condense in the glassware. I changed from air to N2 with no change. ( Stirring would not prevent the foaming from overwhelming the still.) What might that be? (I ran a rotary evap on the stuff before distilling).

Second, why not make this from benzene and allyl-Br with AlCl3?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 24-4-2009 at 09:59

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
why not make this from benzene and allyl-Br with AlCl<sub>3</sub>?

I mentioned in passing in my thread alkylating benzenes with polyenes via Friedel-Crafts would most probably result in a "mess". That was because I found, among other things, this paper. Made me sad, too.

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."

Go To Top