Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fun With Plasma Globes
Aubri
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2009 at 19:55
Fun With Plasma Globes

I'm trying to bend a plasma globe to my will, but I lack the knowledge of the physics involved to know what I'm doing. I want to create an electronic device that will have the same effect as touching it with a finger. What components will I need?
Elawr
Hazard to Others

Mood: vitriolic

[*] posted on 13-5-2009 at 22:17

Plasma globes convert 110V AC 60Hz current into 20 to 30 KV AC at 100 or so KHz. When introduced into a rarefied mix of inert gases they become ionized, and you get the beautiful display of electrical discharges made visible.

You should definitely learn the physics, because it is so fascinating. You could start with the writings of Nikola Tesla, who developed the technology upon which plasma globes (and a LOT more) are based.

I'm not sure what you want to create but I do know that plasma globes can be put together with common materials. The important thing is to keep learning, experimenting, and making things. Just be careful with all things electrical, lest you meet with untimely demise from high voltage shock!

Oh...and welcome to Sciencemadness by the way! I hope you find the members here as friendly and informative as I have.

[Edited on 14-5-2009 by Elawr]

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 13-5-2009 at 23:16

As a starter you could try experimenting with a neon sign transformer and make small Jacob's ladders. Just working with these things gives you a lot of experience and then you can go on to more advanced things like Tesla coils.

Working with such high voltages is not easy at all. Above let's say 10 kV the biggest trouble is the loss of electric charge through so-called corona discharging. Air is not good at all at handling such high voltages, you hear the crackling and hissing all around the circuitry and lots of charge are lost into the air. You can see this as a spooky blue glow, especially on sharp edges and you can even feel the ionic wind from a distance of 10 cm or so.

Be VERY careful with high voltages, especially if capacitors are involved. A single mistake may be fatal!

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top