Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: H2SO4 Drain Cleaner Dissolves Plastic Bottle
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-5-2009 at 14:28
H2SO4 Drain Cleaner Dissolves Plastic Bottle

Firstly, Hello everyone, I'm Mossy :)
I wonder if anyone here can give me an explanation for this...

I have some H2SO4 based drain cleaner, it's called one shot and claims it is 91% acid. The stuff's purple and syrupy and the ingredients are here:
http://www.frontiersd.mb.ca/safety/MSDS/Imperial%20Soap/One%...

I don't have much sulphuric, and to try to stop myself wasting it I poured a small amount into a plastic sprite bottle to use for some various experiments. There was a bit of water in the bottle so it got a bit hot but I watched it and it seemed to have cooled and settled down nicely, so I set to work adding some to various old coins to try work out what they were made of etc. Then I heard a hissing...looked up, nice area of desk covered with the acid. This was about 30mins after I added it to the bottle. On examination of the bottle after clearing the mess with Soda Crystals I found there were about 6 quite big holes. But surely it shouldn't go through plastic? Any explanations?
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 15-5-2009 at 15:11

You used a PETE (polyester) bottle. Ester bonds are sensitive to acidic hydrolysis.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-5-2009 at 15:13

Plastic bottles are made of PET - PolyEthyleneTerephthalate. PET is an ester. Sulphuric acid is a strong acid, and so is more than capable of hydrolysing an ester. Of course you need water for hydrolysis so that probably explains why the whole bottle didnt "dissolve"; just some holes instead (either that or the acid leaked out before it could claim the rest of your bottle...).
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-5-2009 at 15:27

Many thanks :) I guessed it would have to be something along those lines as the bottle says it's suitable for PCV pipe and so on. Incidentally it can be purchased in plenty of small stores in the UK at about 6.99 a litre although purifying it will need a fully glass distiallation kit and a brave chemist. There's also this one:
http://www.shop-com.co.uk/Bullitt_Drain_Cleaner_1Ltr-4518033...
96% and dirt cheap...before I found out about these I used to get my H2SO4 from car battery acid which cost about £5 for a litre, which only yeilds 200ml or so of conc. And the postage was hellish high too...
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 15-5-2009 at 15:33

On the bottom of the container you'll see the acronyms for the type of plastic usually. In this case it should be, PETE or PET. HDPE has good compatability with conc. H2SO4 and that's what the drain cleaner plastic is made of. Normally, you can easily find a chemical compatability chart for the plastic. Though I can't find one for PETE.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2009 at 15:42

Re polyethylene terephthalate - for a summary of its properties, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate
Other polyester materials, such as Dacron/Mylar and polycarbonates, are probably also liable to hydrolysis by strong acids or alkalis. The same would apply to polyamides, such as the Nylons and Qiana and Kevlar.

A bottle made of something like polyethylene, polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), polypropylene, or polyvinyl chloride(PVC) or fluoride (PVF), would be fully resistant to hydrolysis by strong mineral acids and alkalis, except possibly oxidizing acids like nitric acid.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2009 at 15:49

Note that PETE/PET is also susceptible to hydrolysis by strongly alkaline solutions, even strong aqueous ammonia will react over a period of weeks. Neutral salt solutions usually aren't a problem, same for moderately dilute acid or base, at least for short term storage of a day or three. Alcohols are OK, as are oils and alkanes like pet ether. Halogenated and aromatic hydrocarbons, ketones (acetone, MEK), and esters are problematic to strictly no-no.

There are several types of PETE containers, food grade being different than general storage ones, so even a chart should be interpreted with caution.

One chart that has PET included is http://www.curbellplastics.com/technical-resources/pdf/chemi...
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 15-5-2009 at 15:53

Actually, according to the compatability chart below conc. H2SO4 has a severe effect on PVC:

http://www.rutlandinc.com/industrial/RPT.PVC.Chemical.Compat...

Though that also shows PVC is much more resistant to aqueous sulfuric acid. Fluorinated polymer plastics usually have the highest resistance to chemicals, especially PTFE.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2009 at 16:38

PVC is going to be tough to cover in a single simple listing, as the amount and type of plastisers used vary widely with rigid PVC generally have lesser amounts of plastisers.

Polyolefins such as polythene and polyopropylene are just about plain aliphatic hydrocarbons and so resemble white mineral wax in their resistance. Acids and bases are OK, while halogenated and aromatic solvents do the most damage.

Go To Top