Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: AFS Animal Care
pHzero
Hazard to Self

Mood: Fully substituted

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 14:02
AFS Animal Care

I came across this website a couple of days ago, thought I'd share it with everyone since they sell a couple of hard-ish to find things.
http://www.farmchem.co.uk/commodity-chemicals-16-c.asp
They've got NH3, H2CO, KMNO4, NaOCl and HCl. I'm not sure why their HCl has 2 concentrations though... I thought maybe it meant 36% by volume, 25% by mass, but 36% by volume would be about 31% by mass
Same for the H2CO - 38%/10%? 38% by mass would be about 35% by volume
And I've got no idea what unit the .910 is for the NH3
dann2
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 15:23

Hello,

What is H2CO?
Would the .910 be the solution density of the Ammonia?

Ye old farm store can be great for chemicles.
Ammonium Chloride for the de-bunging of intensively fed lambs water-works.
Cobalt Sulphate, for sheep.
Copper Sulphate.
Hexamine used to be sold by the cart load as a preservatinve for grass (it was a fifty fifty mix with Sodium Nitrate).
Nitric acid for cleaning milking machines.
Formic acid as a silage preservative.
Zinc Sulphate, for sheep foot baths.
Formalin, ditto.

Phenothiazine used to be used as a cattle dose. It saw it once on a list of watched chemicles (USA) What can it be churned into? I have two big old boxes of the stuff and I wanna get hiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.
It was known in the trade as 'drieing powder' (say crudely) great stuff for a beast with a woeful sskittter.
Goodnight.
Dann2

[Edited on 20-5-2009 by dann2]
pHzero
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 23:23

H2CO is methanal, ie formalin

Nitric acid's quite useful, i wonder if I can find a farm shop which sells that...
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2009 at 01:42

Hello,

See
http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/004/T0218E/T0218E05.htm
(use, EDIT, FIND to look up 'Nitric' so that you dont have to read the whole lot)

Nitric acid used to be sold at 70% for this job. More lately it has been sold mixed with Phosphoric acid. It is simply enough to distill out the Nitric.
Not many places sell it though.
More info here:
http://www.johnsondiversey.com/Cultures/en-GB/OpCo/Products+...
See this too.
http://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?fid=2&tid=...

Google acid-o-phy

Dann2
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 22-5-2009 at 04:38

Quote:

I'm not sure why their HCl has 2 concentrations though... I thought maybe it meant 36% by volume, 25% by mass, but 36% by volume would be about 31% by mass Same for the H2CO - 38%/10%? 38% by mass would be about 35% by volume And I've got no idea what unit the .910 is for the NH3

That means they sell HCl at two different concentrations: 1 at 36% and one at 25%. And that they sell two solutions of formalin: 1 at 38% and one at 10%. And the 0.910 is the density of ammonia. 24% ammonia corresponds to a density of 0.91 g/mL at 20 °C or 0.9 g/mL at 25 °C.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
pHzero
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-5-2009 at 11:38

Ah yeah, ozonelabs explained the .910 bit to me - sorry, i forgot to say.

But as for the HCl, it never asks you which concentration you want... you can go all the way to the checkout without being asked
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-5-2009 at 16:03

Quote: Originally posted by pHzero  
I'm not sure why their HCl has 2 concentrations though... I thought maybe it meant 36% by volume, 25% by mass, but 36% by volume would be about 31% by mass
It's possible that it's HCl 36% (w/w ?) and Baume degree 25. That doesn't quite match the American definition, and I don't know the others, but it's in the ballpark. Baume degree is an old way of specifying specific gravity.
pHzero
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-5-2009 at 00:06

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
Quote: Originally posted by pHzero  
I'm not sure why their HCl has 2 concentrations though... I thought maybe it meant 36% by volume, 25% by mass, but 36% by volume would be about 31% by mass
It's possible that it's HCl 36% (w/w ?) and Baume degree 25. That doesn't quite match the American definition, and I don't know the others, but it's in the ballpark. Baume degree is an old way of specifying specific gravity.

Ooh good point, the 25 doesnt have a % sign
Although 36% would be 22 baume...

Ah well i guess there aren't many people who's need 100L of HCl in a lab... Its not a terribly useful acid compared to H2SO4 or others, and when you need it you can just add NaCl to H2SO4 then bubble the HCl gas through water

Go To Top