Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Straight to base extractions
Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

Mood: Stochastic

[*] posted on 27-5-2009 at 17:58

What molecule are you talking about Rich_Insane? If caffeine, it's not really proper to call Nitrogens 5 or 7 "amide" nitrogens. Technically, the functional group is not really an amide, and not really a urea, but it doesn't matter. The only important thing to note is that given the presence of the carbonyls, the nitrogens have increased SP2 character, and are thus less basic than a tertiary amine. Caffeine can definitely be isolated by acid/base extraction; I can vouch.

As for arguing what an alkaloid is, who cares. The above discussions of acid/base vs. just base extraction of alkaloids is merely a discussion of how one would approach the extraction of a basic compound versus an acidic compound. Alkaloid or not, you can use that general approach. If an alkaloid contains acidic and basic moieties, you're probably best off simply using repeated extraction with organic solvent. Just because a molecule contains a basic or acidic moiety does not mean it will behave well in an acid/base extraction

That being said it is quite possible that lysergic acid hydrochloride - alkaloid or not - is water soluble. I don't know. But the molecule has so much other non-polar spinach hanging off the nitrogen that you would be better off extracting with organic solvent.

I don't really know what you're getting at with the alkaloid definition.

[Edited on 28-5-2009 by Arrhenius]
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 27-5-2009 at 19:46

The definition states that all alkaloids can be made a hydro(halogen).

If I were to extract an alkaloid, I would if it is polar or not, do extractions first by grinding and washing the material, then adding a polar solvent (separate the material, depending on if your alkaloid is polar or non-polar), add a non-polar solvent and separate, do an acid-base extraction, repeat steps, and finally recrystallize.

As for caffeine, I was just guessing the the people above were right. I initially assumed that caffeine had no amide groups. The SP2 is where 2 electrons go to the P shell, forming a hybrid orbital, am I right (I'm trying not to make stupid mistakes)? So the reason the amine is more basic is because it is a proton acceptor and that nitrogen there in the ring cannot accept protons as well?

The reason there is SP2 is because the Carbon in the Carbonyl shares 4 e with the Oxygen, and in order to bond with the nitrogen, it needs to hybridize?

If I were doing an extraction i would not go straight base, because the alkaloid may or may not do anything, and would still remain in a whole bunch of mucilage. I would do solvent extractions, precipitate the proteins with alcohol once the matter is finely grinded, and dissolve the lipids somewhere in the process with chloroform.

When I was extracting melanin from Shewanella and Aspergillus (which is slightly different from plants, but there are similarities), I did at least 5 freeze-thaw cycles to break down the cells, which is extremely important. I would do this for a few hours, then I did a quick centrifuge. I'm not sure if that's feasible, but it's not too hard to obtain a cheap centrifuge (microcentrifuge). Then I vortexed the mixture. After that I added chloroform to dissolve lips from the cell wall. Centrifugation yielded this debris. Keep a cycle of this. Then add isopropanol under heat to cause proteins to precipitate and denature. I'm not sure how well this applys toplants; You want to destroy the cellulose cell wall, so you need something for that.

The above only applies, however if the alkaloid is intercellular. If it is found floating around in the vascular tissue, then you have to ensure a crude cellular destruction and dissolve proteins and lipids (then proceed with acid/base, polar/nonpolar extractions).

DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-5-2009 at 20:04

The reason the "amide" and "imide" nitrogens are non basic is due to the canonicals that can form, involving the carbonyl group. The lone pair on the nitrogen is delocalised onto the carbonyl, thus reducing the ability as a base; thus amides are essentially neutral.
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-5-2009 at 20:40

What do you mean by canonical?

So what you are saying is that the lone pair on the nitrogen is distributed in the whole nitrogen-carbonyl group thus disabling the Nitrogen's ability to accept the proton?
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-5-2009 at 21:29

Thats exactly what I am saying. A canonical is a resonance form, but the *true* structure is neither canonical, merely somewhere in between (as we don't know for certain).

Look under "amide properties" on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amide

[Edited on 28-5-2009 by DJF90]

Amides.JPG - 16kB
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 27-5-2009 at 21:40

I'm curious about two things: is coffee acidic or basic? I've never checked but CO2 is acidic and does a good job extracting caffeine from unroasted beans in supercritical state.

What does "kewl" or "kewlish" mean??

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-5-2009 at 21:48

chemrox: The term kewl is discussed somewhere on the forum; UTFSE. Alternatively check the urban dictionary (just google "urban dictionary").

Coffee is a chemical mixture; it may contain both acidic and basic components. Caffeine however, the main alkaloid in coffee, should be basic by my reasoning. Supercritical CO2 I dont think is acidic; I believe its utilisation to extract caffeine from coffee beans comes from its solvent abilities (just like how ethanol is hardly basic, but is a better solvent than water for many organic compounds).
Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

Mood: Stochastic

[*] posted on 27-5-2009 at 22:13

DJF90: I've never heard the term 'canonical' in US chem books. I presume, from your drawing, that it's the same as a 'resonance form' or 'resonance structure. You're correct about the real structure being somewhere in between everything we can draw, but I do believe high level quantum mechanics can predict electronic structures quite well.

Chemrox: Coffee is acidic from tannic acids and phosphorus acids (supposedly).

Rich_Insanity: DJF90's explanation of why it has SP2 character looks pretty good. Ya, centrifugation works miracles with plant extractions. I don't think you necessarily need to break apart cell walls to extract chemicals from within. Sometimes breaking up plant material too much just gives a lot of chlorophyll in the extract. I've even used aqueous acid refluxes to facilitate extractions. There really are lots of options. Very seldom can you crystallize a desired product from an extract though; at least not as a pure product.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-5-2009 at 23:25

Arrhenius: Yes I believe it is another way of saying the same thing. Look at this following link under the heading "Resonance" (I believe this is a page from MSU - Michigan state university if I am not mistaken, meaning that this is not just a UK term as I had once thought):

http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/intro3.htm

Having the chlorophyl extracted with the desired material I imagine is quite problematic (at the very least a pain in the arse). If I remember correctly though, chloroform is useful for solvent extractions because it extracts only a minimal amount of chlorophyl. At least I think it was chloroform.

Generally for obtaining a crystalline product, the organic extract is dried with a drying agent, filtered into a flask and the solvent removed either by distillation or by use of a rotory evaporator. Once most/all of the solvent is removed, if crystallisation hasnt started yet it can be initiated using an ice bath and "scratching" with a glass rod. The crystalline precipitate can then be removed from the flask and recrystallised 2-3 times to yeild a pure product.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 27-5-2009 at 23:37

Caffeine, for example, does not form hydrochlorides in aqueous solutions since it is barely ten times more basic than water which essentially means that the solvent more than efficiently competes for the protons and if you remove the solvent the HCl will be removed as well. I think it forms some, though unstable, "salts" from diethyl ether, kind of like some amides can. I do not know where anybody got the idea that caffeine can be purified using an acid extraction - none of its lab or industrial extractions use any such procedure.

Rich_Insane, if you would have read my previous post you would have noticed that alkaloids need not to be basic. Colchicine is completely neutral and yet it is a classical alkaloid. Morphine has the pKa of 9.9 in its neutral form and is thus a weak acid even when the nitrogen is not protonated (even though an acid it is still considered as one of the most classical alkaloids!). This essentially means that morphine can be extracted from a nonpolar solvent using aqueous NaOH, like you would otherwise extract an acid.

PS1: The names or the orbitals are in low caps. There are no "S", "P" or "SP2" orbitals, only "s", "p" and "sp2" orbitals.

PS2: "Canonical" means something similar to formalistic, that is the minimum not yet completely false form of something that is otherwise too complex to be described to fit the reality. The canonical forms are determined by conventions and rules rather than by the models fitting the reality. In reality chemical structures are always canonical except when determined by single crystal XRD and even then they are only real for the structure the compound has when crystalline. The term "canonical" is an ubiquitous term in science and mathematics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-5-2009 at 17:31

Caffeine is extracted by supercritical CO2 or a nonpolar solvent (methylene chloride) (there are other methods, but as far as I know these are the main extraction methods.

It depends on what alkaloid you are working with. There are several classes of alkaloids, since it is a broad category.
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 26-3-2011 at 07:27

What about taking grinded coffee and soaking it in dillute HCl to dissolve caffeine from it as caffeine hydrochloride, filtering it and then adding a base to make caffeine again water insoluble? Would that work?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top