Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Iodine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-5-2009 at 05:22
Iodine

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/maxcaners

I found this on Ebay, and wondered if it might be a useful link for anyone (seeings as Iodine is a List 1 chemical in the UK). He also sells in America.
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 31-5-2009 at 05:37

Ouch! It stings...

Just buy either of the items and get on a "next to be raided" list...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-5-2009 at 05:51

I don't know, I've ordered a few suspicious things from Ebay / elsewhere online, and a while back went to half the chemists in London asking for H2SO4....
I've also and have downloaded various PDFs on energentic materials and the like, and I hear that that's little compared to what others on this forum have bought / done.
With some basic, easily available chemicals, all kinds of dangerous things can be produced. The risk lists work based on backgroud, education, ethinicity and so on, so...
Just stay away from any fundementalist religious gatherings!
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2009 at 23:00

Iodine is mostly watched because of its use in drug chemistry, not explosives as you have made it sound.

pHzero
Hazard to Self

Mood: Fully substituted

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 00:45

Yep, its watched cause its used to make hydroiodic acid which is used in conjunction with red phosphorus and pseudosomethingorganic to make meth. But if you're buying off ebay, I doubt the seller's gonna report you.
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 01:49

The seller may be raided, and afterwards they may get you. Personally I don't think 10-50 grams of iodine would be a problem, but a kilo would definately start to be.
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 02:25

I have never had any issue with Iodine in the UK. Companies that sell Iodine for export may be required to monitor export to certain countries. They may also require an end user license. Personally I have never had an issue buying iodine in the UK. And pHzero... What the **** is pseudosomethingorganic and meth? You should write it as "Meth"

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
pHzero
Hazard to Self

Mood: Fully substituted

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 08:14

Quote: Originally posted by panziandi  
I have never had any issue with Iodine in the UK. Companies that sell Iodine for export may be required to monitor export to certain countries. They may also require an end user license. Personally I have never had an issue buying iodine in the UK. And pHzero... What the **** is pseudosomethingorganic and meth? You should write it as "Meth"

Sorry, I meant some organic compound whose name ive forgotten but which i can remember begins with "pseudo".
And by meth, I meant methamphetamine
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 09:38

Yes we all know iodine and red phosphorus are watched because idiots use them to make drugs. You are thinking of psuedoephedrine, a component in some sinus medicines.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 09:47

Ah right interesting, I apologise for the mistake.
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 19:37

This is about $32.60 for those of you in US for 250 g.

Around $8 for 30 g. that's pretty good (I've included shipping in the converter).

I don't think that much I2 will be that bad.

It's so sad that the feds take every single hobbyist buying some I2 or RP as some crazy meth maker.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 18-6-2009 at 15:02

I'm pretty sure, it is not legal to import I2 into the U.S., without a permit. So......don't.
It is a very big deal.

Moreover, in general, those who sell I2 within the U.S., must be registered, and they must keep records of all sales.

"Raiding" of the Chemical Supplier by law enforcement is not required. A Chemical suppliers who sells "Listed" materials must have a permit to do so, and must supply sales records upon law enforcement request.

Basically.......any I2 purchase you make, will be a matter of public record.

[Edited on 19-6-2009 by zed]
User
Hazard to Others

Mood: Passionate

[*] posted on 18-6-2009 at 15:34

I often wonder on how many list people like us, with strange search-terms/buying patters etc, are listed and where.
In a way i doupt that all the systems are connected profer enough to sketch a picture.
And still iam sometimes still quite paranoia about this.
I mean in a way i do absolutely nothing to harm people or earn money with the substances i produce. On the other hand it could be that some of them in certain laws are forbidden. So "they" would have enough ground to arrest someone that would be crossing the line.
Enough home-labs are fucked, most of the hobby chemists have no bad intentions what so ever.

The only way to stay off the list i gues is to: always pay cash, don't show up on the i-net, destroy all records, never use your name etc.
And make all the listed materials yourself, as would be with I2.

I guess iam listed anyway. :)

What a fine day for chemistry this is.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-6-2009 at 01:03

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
I'm pretty sure, it is not legal to import I2 into the U.S., without a permit. So......don't.
It is a very big deal.
The seller of the iodine should not export to the USA. It is not a problem if he only ships to locations inside the EU (he is in the UK), but when he ships to the USA things can become problematic. Some time ago there was another UK-based seller (www.kno3.com) who shipped worldwide, including the USA and the owner of this webshop was arrested in the UK, because this was requested by the USA. Probably this guy would never have had any problem if he did not sell to the USA.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 19-6-2009 at 14:13

Purchasing a small amount of I2, or preferably......one of its salts, might be O.K., if the transaction takes place entirely within the U.S.! This isn't actually illegal.

However, If you have the same item shipped into the U.S., from abroad.....It is considered importing.

Importing a "Listed" material, without a permit, is a very serious crime. And, there is a pretty good chance you will be arrested if you try it.

Since 9/11, government officials have become pretty vigilant. Customs (or The Department of Homeland Security) will probably inspect your parcel upon entry into the U.S......and recognize it as contraband. Fairly soon thereafter, you will be visited by enraged men wearing suits....And, quite likely they will want to handcuff you.

The crime having already been committed......your intended use for the material may prove irrelevant.

You could find yourself in deep (and expensive!) legal trouble, just from clicking a "Buy it Now" tab on e-bay.

Buy local.

Go To Top