Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Art in Science
michaelphaluska
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-6-2009 at 10:47
Art in Science

I'm writing in the hope that this wide range of contacts can guide me in an interesting direction on my search for someone who may coach me in the following:

I would like to use chemicals (or chemical admixtures) to create random designs in color on differing substrates (paper metals, wood, etc.). I love 'random'.

What I am hoping for from you is a couple of contacts who can tell me that x chemical/s will yield y color/s when either applied, ignited, or admixed.

I value the ephemeral nature of the 'process' itself as well as the intriguing 'randomness' of the results from 'wave-front' of the ignited substance or the laying down of the chemical/s if poured, splattered, etc.

Looking for interesting reactions... both from this process and from viewers of this art.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 15-6-2009 at 10:52

Marble patterns can be printed using pigments and water. More of a hydrodynamic thing, being that it's the turbulent swirls you're seeing.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-6-2009 at 11:25

Strong sulphuric acid will dehydrate things, turning them black. I spilt some on some olive wood by accident and it actually gave quite a nice effect.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 15-6-2009 at 12:04

BP will, when poured onto paper and ignited, form interesting monochromic images that defy description. . .
And there are artists using various chemical methodologies to produce work which incorporates versions of the "lucky accident".
It's lucrative for some of the better exponents, apparently. . .
But then, one man's high art is another man's low garbage!
It's interesting too, that a scientist, on finding a novel process or reaction may bang on about its "beauty", while the artist on finding a novel viewpoint will be consumed by the "rightness" of the thing!

[Edited on 15-6-2009 by hissingnoise]
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 15-6-2009 at 15:13

Burning a small amount of CuO/Al flake thermite leaves purple black and yellow streak marks on paper.

Dramo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-6-2009 at 14:03

This is 25% chemistry 75% physics but very beautiful indeed:
With big capacitor (bank) explode a thin (well related to your capacitor size) piece of wire in front of paper.

Colorful "smoky line" should appear on the paper. Colors are due different elements in the wire so try many wires or you could damp the wire and add crystals of different salts (metals salts would only work imo).

And of course simple crystal growing can extremely beautiful. And so is "chemical garden" (metal salts to waterglass which is about 50% sodium silicate solution) - But these aren't really what you were looking for I guess?

I btw made stunningly nice art work for my finnish portfolio (I still have no idea why it was required though :D) by developing thermal paper (receipts from any store) with ACETONE. Spilled, wiped with paper or brush.. it was lovely i think. First it looks like nothing is happening but when acetone evapourated thermal paper turned black.

Go To Top