Printable Version  
Author: Subject: microwave assisted chemical reaction
daragh8008
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-7-2009 at 05:25
microwave assisted chemical reaction

Hi,
I recently read that microwaves ovens can be used to grow metal oxide nanostructures and was a fast and easy method. I was wondering if anyone has tried this. I gave it a go, using hexamethylytetramine and zinc nitrate 25mM solution on ZnO seed quartz substrates. The first batch turned out fine but 1/4 way through the second lot my microwave gave a loud bang then stopped working. The substrates were submerged in 80ml of the reaction solution in a lab glass beaker.

Now most of the papers in this area use lab microwaves while I was using a standard domestic microwave. Have I missed something or was it just time for my microwave to go....:o!

All suggestions welcome.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 7-7-2009 at 05:27

The easy way to explode a microwave is to underload it. I'm guessing you weren't abosrbing enough radiation. Should've had a glass of water in there to absorb the extra.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
daragh8008
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-7-2009 at 05:32

OK THat sounds possible. So if I stick an extra big glass of water in with the reaction mixture, I should be ok to redo the experiements on a new or repair oven with out the same thing happening. The reason I'm so hung up on this method is that it really is fantastic compared to regular chemical bath deposition. Don't seem to get half the debris on my substrates :)
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 09:58

Eh, doing this in a domestic microwave isn't exactly the safest thing to do because it lacks the feedback loop of which regulates power to maintain a set pressure and temperature. U2U me and we can talk more about it or perhaps if you have very specific questions, ask them!

I do microwave-assisted polymerizations and syntheses on a daily basis.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron

Go To Top