Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Spectrophotometers
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 10:32
Spectrophotometers

I have some old but still functional (quite functional) spectrophotometers available.

Comes as a complete package in either case.
One is a liquid IR setup, the other is a UV-VIS with set of 4 matched quartz cuvettes and sample turet.

Just make an offer. I'm looking for 50-70 bucks for either unit, but some trades are welcome.

Photos if one wants...

stuff 012a.jpg - 64kB

stuff 017a.jpg - 56kB

[Edited on 11-7-2009 by Fleaker]

[Edited on 11-7-2009 by Fleaker]

stuff 011.JPG - 76kB

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Fleaker
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 10:34

As an aside, I'll only wait 5 days on these before they go to ebay.

--The Dark Lord Sauron
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 21:59

I want them both. p2p me and I'll send my address, ph# and email.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Fleaker
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2009 at 12:45

U2U sent.

--The Dark Lord Sauron
astrosci
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-7-2009 at 07:07
Your equipment

Have these been sold? I'm interested.
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 23:14

Someone just offered to sell me their spectrophotometer, its the one by
Bausch & Lomb Spectrometer 20. He's asking for 75.00.

I know its used to measure absorbency and reflection properties of material. But does it really have an useful function in a home lab. I know that part of the answer will depend on what you want to do with it... but does anyone have one of these unit
and have they been useful to you? If yes, what do you use your spectrophotometer for?

I don't want to pass on a great deal and the potential to expand into other aspect of chemistry that I have not yet explored.:D

thanks.
radagast
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-3-2013 at 21:31

Quote: Originally posted by jamit  
Someone just offered to sell me their spectrophotometer, its the one by
Bausch & Lomb Spectrometer 20. He's asking for 75.00.

I know its used to measure absorbency and reflection properties of material. But does it really have an useful function in a home lab. I know that part of the answer will depend on what you want to do with it... but does anyone have one of these unit
and have they been useful to you? If yes, what do you use your spectrophotometer for?

I don't want to pass on a great deal and the potential to expand into other aspect of chemistry that I have not yet explored.:D

thanks.

I don't have that unit, but spectrometers can be a lot of fun. I'm using a spectrometer spanning long-wave UV to near-IR to measure raman spectra arising from laser irradiation (see thread in the same forum).

With respect to just using a VIS spectrometer directly (and I assume that the Bausch & Lomb Spectrometer 20 only measures VIS wavelengths), you can probably measure the concentration of a substance in a solution, so long as the compound of interest absorbs strongly in the VIS range (say, KMNO4).

You can also do some crude qualitative purity measurements by measuring how clear a solution is. I'm not a big fan of this technique, but the patent literature sometimes uses the Hardy ALFA scale as a way to demonstrate the transparency and thus purity of that liquid. Granted, greater transparency does not always mean a liquid is purer, and vice versa, but it's a start.

Relatedly, in certain instances, you could do some crude reaction monitoring.

I suspect that if the spectrometer's resolution is high enough, you could use it to compare compounds. For instance (and I'm just guessing here), maybe Coke and Pepsi have different absorption spectra.

And, I know this isn't really a chemistry-related topic, but mineralogists seem to use VIS spectra to identify certain gems.

For pure bang for buck and ease of use, I think that an abbe refractometer and melting point apparatus are the most useful instruments for an amateur. But even if that spectrometer isn't so useful, it's a great introduction into more useful spectrographic methods, such as UV/VIS (used either as a standalone method, or in connection with HPLC) and IR characterization.
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 06:47

Quote: Originally posted by jamit  

I'd like to have a spectrophotometer, personally - they are such versatile instruments that I'm sure they could be useful to many lab rats.

One other example is that they determine pH quite crisply with an indicator. There are a lot more colorimetric tests you might look into - check out an aquarium or pool supply and you can get tests for all sorts of ions.
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-3-2013 at 02:49
Spectronic 20+

Wondering if anyone has one of these spectronic 20+ and how useful it would be in a home lab? They use it in a chemistry lab at school but have now been discontinued.

Here's a picture of it. How reliable are these unit they sell on ebay?

image.jpg - 11kB
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 17-3-2013 at 08:18

I don't have one, but have used one. They're great little machines. Replacement parts can readily be purchased online (eBay). They're very useful in a home lab, especially if you're doing any colorimetric analytical work.

Go To Top