Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: History of the war on drugs
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 27-4-2010 at 09:58

And antidrug legislation seems to causing a lot more shit than it's preventing. . .
Just ask any Mexican?

Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 27-4-2010 at 09:59

Maybe a good smoking of the peace pipe isn't such a bad idea. Of course it could be a problem finding something worthwhile to put in it when the time comes, if whatever herbal blend that is appropriate for the occasion has been banished from the earth by all those arrogant folks who incorrectly believe they have an intellectual superiority or perhaps a divine right which has qualified and empowered them to be the architects and administrators of their idea of a "new improved world". Haven't they by "law" and by force imposed "change" which only some, not all people
can accept or would ever believe is any "improvement" ?

So what should be put in that "peace pipe" when the time comes .....wait a minute I forgot ......no smoking is allowed.

But what about assorted ganja, coca, tobacco, and opium,
maybe just two tokes and the world looks different, all the men are handsome and the women beautiful ?

It's gone ....it is no more, not even as a passing illusion, because those who first invented clocks and then daylight savings time to fix the problem that never was, took it all away to make it easier to impose their own authorized version of "reality", where any others need not apply.

Should starbucks and salad bars rule the universe and rivers of living water be now bottled and rationed to the worthy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl258dTiYJ0&fmt=18 Run Through The Jungle

I have smoked a peace pipe, slept on buckskin and enjoyed the warmth of a Cherokee woman on a winters night . I have dined on antelope and venison, wild turkey and quail and rabbit, and I have a genetic predisposition for a near total absence of body hair. Most of the meat I eat is cooked over an open wood fire, as is my lunch today and was both my lunch and dinner yesterday. I live near a village where there are teepees and cabins. I have a different perspective, and probably an unusual clarity about a few things.

[Edited on 27-4-2010 by Rosco Bodine]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 27-4-2010 at 12:38

This is somewhat OT also but I just have to comment on an excellent book I just read: "The Poisoner's Handbook," by Deborah Blum, 2010. Chapters are assigned to chloroform, methyl alcohol (2ea), cyanides, arsenic, mercury, carbon monoxide (2ea), radium, ethyl alcohol, and thallium.

Most of the methyl alcohol poisoning came from denaturants placed in industrial alcohol. During US Prohibition (1920-33) deaths from drinking rose by a factor of 6 in New York City. In addition, there was more drinking than ever, as though in defiance of the law. Eventually common sense prevailed and the 18th amendment was repealed.

I agree with Mr Wizard that people have always sought substances to relieve their pain. I normally drink decaffinated coffee but this morning I had a slight but annoying dull headache. So I bought a cup of real coffee and have been feeling great ever since. To deny people the right to relieve the pains of life is always going to be a losing battle. Some kind of reasonable control over abuse is probably the best we can hope for.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 27-4-2010 at 13:28

Adults should just leave other adults alone to be free to make their own individual choices, instead of asserting "authority" for trying to chaperone and babysit other grownups.

Personally I like coffee with the caffeine included, Kona coffee is especially nice,
but tends to make one talkative and may cause the hair of the head to stand on end as if one were in the electrostatic field of tesla coil ....while the scalp has a spasmodic wrinkling and itchy feeling ......the eyes widen and blinking becomes nearly impossible :D Likewise the tobacco native to Virginia has such a high content of nicotine that it has a distinctly felt physiological effect which is most peculiar, almost like being in the calm eye of a hurricane. And if one is being swarmed by mosquitoes it provides relief to fill the air with such smoke as mosquitoes and gnats immediately flee from its effects :D Scotch is of one of the two better whiskies IMO, the other being a good aged Kentucky bourbon.

Likewise I enjoy plenty of sugar, salt and fat in my food. Surprisingly enough to me I have already outlived many of my friends who were far more health conscious and it really makes me wonder if they did not worry themselves to death.

[Edited on 27-4-2010 by Rosco Bodine]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 27-4-2010 at 14:56

Quote:
[quote Likewise the tobacco native to Virginia has such a high content of nicotine that it has a distinctly felt physiological effect which is most peculiar, almost like being in the calm eye of a hurricane. And if one is being swarmed by mosquitoes it provides relief to fill the air with such smoke as mosquitoes and gnats immediately flee from its effects

Cigarette companies like to lace their tobacco with a long list of additives - and one of them (for flavouring) is skatole.
Yep, the stuff that give shit its, er, - distinctive smell.
It's also a potent attractant to flies which is why it's present in the perfumes of flowers.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/nicotineinhaler/a/cigingredi...

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 27-4-2010 at 15:25

Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  

Likewise the tobacco native to Virginia has such a high content of nicotine that it has a distinctly felt physiological effect which is most peculiar, almost like being in the calm eye of a hurricane.

Yes, Roscoe, this was brought out in the aforementioned book. I suppose the Virginia tobacco has traditionally been blended down with other less potent varieties.

I should mention that "The Poisoner's Handbook" is really a history of the origination of forensic medicine and toxicology in the US. She does her best to explain all the chemistry. It is not purported to be a handbook for those wanting to commit homicide. The author probably chose that title to boost sales.

Note: I'm not receiving any favors (financial or otherwise) from Ms Blum for plugging her book. It's just one I couldn't put down.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 27-4-2010 at 15:30

Lacing tobacco with adulterants is used to attempt to improve the quality of inferior grades or scraps and stems ....but for the good quality leaf tobacco it is unnecessary for additives to be used and it is quite a sufficiently toxic cocktail
already. The pressures of government taxes and lawsuits have actually caused a decrease in the quality and an increase in the toxicity and dangers of commercial tobacco, causing what amounts to product tampering having deleterious effects,
all in the name of what has become a false pretense of "public safety and public health". It is ironic that the regulatory and abolitionist pressures have an effect
that is counterproductive ......but the actual purpose is of course the persecution
of a minority class who may enjoy something others regard as offensive.

Leave it to the government to screw up what used to be real gasoline with
the watered down E15 blended fuel coming out of the pumps now, which is an inferior fuel in all respects to pure petrol. Everything the government touches
it has a talent for turning to shit .....and tobacco is no exception.

The government should stick to projects like contracting the building and maintaining public infrastructure, and operating the armed forces, as they
are pretty good at those things .....and they should stay the hell out of everything else, for which their long demonstrated and proven talent is for screwing things up.

[Edited on 28-4-2010 by Rosco Bodine]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top