Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DIY laptop battery rebuilding
Vogelzang
Banned

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-7-2009 at 17:12
DIY laptop battery rebuilding

Has anyone here tried to change the cells in their Li ion laptop batteries? See these links:

http://www.electronics-lab.com/articles/Li_Ion_reconstruct/

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4224

I was thinking of getting some Li cells from here
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/160050/B...
for use in my 7012P battery for a Dell Latitude CSX. I uploaded a picture of my battery after I opened it up using a couple single edged razor blades and a hammer.

It says EEKPB6 on the cells in my battery. I think they're refered to as PB6 batteries from what I can figure out looking around on the internet.

open7012P-2.jpg - 41kB

[Edited on 15-7-2009 by Vogelzang]
bquirky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-7-2009 at 07:48

ive done this a number of times. no problems.

I have evan replaced li-ion cells for 3 nimh cells (that was an odd circumstance but it worked fine)

make sure you get freshly manufactured cells though.
they go stale after a few years sitting in a warehouse.

Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 13:19

There's probably different kinds of Li ion cells. Do you think the ones from allelectronics.com will work in the Dell 7012P battery as long as they fit?

[Edited on 17-7-2009 by Vogelzang]
kats12
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-9-2009 at 02:30

I tried to rebuild a battery for my dell latitude d600, but I have failed. I belive that dell battery has some ort of RAM chip which works only when the batterie are connected, when you disconnect battery the voltage drops, and when you put new battery on it won't work anymore...
I'll try to put some sort of a DC current from a transformator to keep the voltage going...maybe it will work...
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 17-10-2009 at 08:46

I decided to buy a NDE018 battery made in China. Its equivalent to a 7012P. I bought another CSX Latitude from an Ebay seller for $21.50 ($19.95 shipping). It was supposed to have no hard drive, but came with an 11 GB hard drive with Windows 2000 on it which I upgraded to SP4. The battery seems to hold charge, too. No AC adapter came with it, but I have two already that work with it.

I put a new 40GB 5400 rpm hard drive in the first CSX Latitude I got, installed Windows 98SE on it and it runs a lot faster. Windows 98 and 2K don't need to be activated, but XP does. Someone has been trying to sue Microsoft over the digital rights management patent they claim Microsoft is infringing on and XP uses for activation.

[Edited on 17-10-2009 by Vogelzang]
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2009 at 09:12

Quote: Originally posted by Vogelzang  

(cut)Windows 98 and 2K don't need to be activated, but XP does. Someone has been trying to sue Microsoft over the digital rights management patent they claim Microsoft is infringing on and XP uses for activation.
The Corporate Version of Windows XP Professional does not require activation. In August 2008, I downloaded it as a Torrent download, updated to SP3, and installed it over the Home Edition of Windows XP which was on the computer when sold, without needing to activate it. I only had to use a serial number. I wonder if there is also such a Corporate Version of Windows 7?

[Edited on 18-10-09 by JohnWW]

Attachment: Windows_XP_Pro_Corp_SP3_Integrated_July_08_CD_Key-(Demonoid.com)4745066.9564(588Mb-16seeds-used).torrent (47kB)
This file has been downloaded 786 times

Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 17-10-2009 at 11:59

Last time I checked, the Corporate Version of Windows XP costs hundreds of dollars. I'm reluctant to download a version of Windows that I can't guarantee doesn't have trojans or other malware in it. Years ago when I bought a new Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop that came with XP, it stopped connecting to the internet, maybe because I was using Zone Alarm firewall and had it set to block things trying to send information over the internet or maybe it was AOL that I was using back then. I tried reinstalling XP, but it said it needed activation, either through the modem which wouldn't work without drivers installed or by contacting Microsoft. I called Microsoft and they told me to contact Dell. After that I tried Windows 98SE on it which installs, but lacks Win 98 drivers for the laptop. Then I tried different versions of linux on it which worked to some extent (most of my programs didn't work with linux) and then when I found out Windows 2000 didn't need activation I tried that. It works with the drivers CD that came with the laptop. Before I tried Win 2k I got some used laptops that have Win 98SE on them. One of them was the CSX Latitude. I don't trust being too dependent on Microsoft. Also, a long time ago I bought some used floppy discs with Visual Basic 3.0 (legal original discs) on them and when I tried to install it, one file couldn't be read, so I called Microsoft and the person who I talked to connected me to the anti-piracy department for some reason. They kept transfering me around and finally told me they couldn't give me a copy of the file I needed. I eventually found out if I copy the floppies to my hard drive the file could be read when installed.
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 17-10-2009 at 12:04

A lot of people are having problems with Vista from what I hear. I never tried it. The desktop I use most of the time at home has XP on it. I bought it used in order to use a 96 bit sound card on it which I never got, but later bought a PC card version of it which works with Win 2k SP4 as well as Win XP SP2, but not Win98. The XP computer slows down a lot and I have to keep using System Mechanic on it to speed it up again.

[Edited on 17-10-2009 by Vogelzang]
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 23-11-2009 at 14:29

I found this today.

1 in 3 laptops die in first three years
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/154921

Go To Top