Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dye-Sensitized Cells
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 10:51
Dye-Sensitized Cells

Hey guys.

A bit ago I did an experiment (it was sort of school related) with dye-sensitized cells or Gratzel cells based on this paper
Demonstrating Electron Transfer and Nanotechnology:

Dye sensitized solar cells

I received a whole bunch of them from the O Chem prof. who was doing a little research about using porphin dyes, and used them for my experiment which involved using mushroom-derived melanin dyes.

But really if you want to see something interesting all you need is blackberries (or any dye that will form bonds with TiO2) and an electrolyte. The blackberry dye (anthocyanins) works by attaching to the TiO2 nanocrystalline surface (the TiO2 is ordered from a European company, Degussa, and is also labeled P25, indicating the particle size in nm). When it is exposed to UV or Visible light, the electrons in it move up from ground state, get all excited, and pop out. The electrons move through the TiO2 surface, go through the glass into your wire, and go into your resistor. There is a slab of conductive glass on the other side. The electrolyte, which is I2/KI in ethylene glycol reduces the dye, and so the cycle continues.

My cell based on mushrooms lasted for a few years, of course replenishing some of the electrolyte which often evaporated. Eventually, I sealed the whole thing off to avoid evaporation, but it's damn tricky.

I want to sell/trade or even give away these cells, as they are stuck in my food refrigerator, including the electrolyte which has since evaporated, condensed, and formed a mess, and gotten in my cheese :mad:

Obviously, you'd have to make your own electrolyte and dye, but it is quite simple, and unless you want to power your house, you only need a little (200 microliters/every few hours at max). I believe I was able to reach 500 millivolt output with my mushroom cell, and others reached enough to power a small motor (in the paper). A tip is to completely submerge the cell in the filtered dye, which is simply made by crushing blackberries (or whatever dye you use). Leave it to soak in dye for at least eight hours from personal experience. I grew Portabella mushrooms under 390 nm UV light and extracted a melanin suspension by crushing the mushroom cap in i-Propyl alcohol while adding a little tap water bit by bit. Then I submerged the TiO2 plate.

I would be happy to provide all the TiO2 and conductive plates I have as well as some conductive glass, and possibly a cell i built before out of mushroom.

PM me any offer. you don't have to pay for anything, but I would appreciate any offer.

I will give up this ofer and throw away the cells if nothing comes up in a few days, as it is quite a nuisance having them around however small they are.

[Edited on 10-8-2009 by Rich_Insane]

Go To Top