Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vacuum Bell????
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 17-8-2009 at 08:22
Vacuum Bell????

Gents:

I need a vacuum bell, but all the ones I find online are REALLY expensive. Anyone here have good ideas on how to either homejob one, or repurpose some fairly common household item?

I need to degass investment for wax casting....
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 17-8-2009 at 08:50

Well, if you don't need to hold a vacuum, just lower the pressure, that's fairly easy (though the mechanical load is about the same).

I've heard of using a hunk of PVC tubing (8" schedule 40, let's say) with a thick slab of acrylic sitting on top, rubber gasket inbetween. Bottom can be whatever (same, or something bolted, or cemented, etc.).

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-8-2009 at 10:10

I'm stoopid: I have all that at home. Thanks for bringing my attention to the obvious! :D
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2009 at 10:11

How big of a volume do you have to enclose? How high a vacuum do you have to maintain? Large containers have to be fairly strong, as normal construction that will hold internal pressures of 15 psi will collapse like junk under a vacuum. A fairly sturdy vacuum chamber could be made out of a normal 20 pound propane tank. Using an air chisel to cut off an end will leave you with a straighter line than a torch. Use eye and ear protection. You then slide the rough cut on a flat concrete surface kept wet with a slow stream of water. Rotate the tank as you slide it back and forth. You will be surprised how quickly it flattens out the opening, and how loud it is. You might speed things up with a grinder or belt sander, but it's easy to cut too much and make a gap. Be careful not to cut a groove or notch, and waste all your work.

The bottom of the chamber could be a 18"x18" x 1/2" steel plate available from a steel company scrap pile. The usual price is about 50 cents a pound. The might even just give you the metal if you tell them about the project.

The end of the tank you cut off will depend on whether you want to take advantage of the convenient pipe threads on the tank or not.

The tank can have a window by cutting a small hole and putting a thick glass or plastic window on the outside. The sealant will depend on your needs. Putting the window n the outside uses the atmosphere to hold the window in place. Using small windows means you don't have to have exotic thick windows. Thin material will work if the hole is small.

Just an idea to start with.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2009 at 15:54

The design of pressure vessels (usually cylindrical or spherical, including hemispherical ends and manholes) is something which, as a chemical engineer, I am very familiar with. However, the design of a vessel for holding a vacuum - an external pressure - is more difficult, being analogous to the mechanics of loading an unsupported column with a vertical load in compression, and finding the maximum safe load without its buckling. A full mathematical analysis of the problem requires use of elliptic integrals.

Naturally, the accuracy of fabrication of such an item is important, because any buckling would occur initially at an imperfection, at below the calculated design stress. Stiffening rings are thus often welded onto large vacuum vessels. The design and fabrication of vessels for both internal and external pressure is dealt with in ch. 24 of Perrys Chemical Engineers' Handbook, in the References section, including particularly of stiffening rings and flanges for vacuum vessels. The ASME Standards and British Standards also deal with such design.

Many pressure vessels designed for internal pressures will also withstand a significant external pressure. This estimated maximum allowable external pressure is usually specified by manufacturers of pressure vessels designed for specified internal pressures. On a small scale, it may be possible to adapt an autoclave for use as a vacuum vessel, by giving it an outlet and valve for connection to a vacuum line powered by a vacuum pump.
tumadre
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-8-2009 at 17:51

Try using the glass cover from an electric skillet. They tend to be tempered and fairly strong.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 18-8-2009 at 11:42

It would be interesting to see how much vacuum a small pressure cooker could withstand.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 19-8-2009 at 17:57

Geez, my buddies in the jewelry trade, use a metal plate as a base, then they flip over the bottom half of a vacuum desiccator , and use that as their bell.

You can often buy such units at auction, for 20 bucks or so, used. New, figure $50.00 plus.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 20-8-2009 at 00:16

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
It would be interesting to see how much vacuum a small pressure cooker could withstand.

I know a guy who uses one (with the seal inverted, so it seals vacuum instead of pressure) for impregnating transformers with varnish.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top