Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemoluminescence
Wanabee
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-12-2003 at 11:43
Chemoluminescence

Hi all.

I'm trying to find the method to a reaction I once witnessed.

Chemicals(tm) were mixed in a round-bottom flask. Shaken; the mixture produced a dim glow which eventually subsided. Shaken again; the glow began anew.

I suspect that the reaction separate back into its orginal constituents when it runs out of energy, but can't find any sign of it.

Thanks in advance,

Renaud

EbC: Title & removed Acidtests ramblings.

[Edited on 21-9-2006 by chemoleo]

Before enlightenment; I cut wood and carried water.
After enlightenment; I cut wood and carried water.
- Zen saying.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 28-12-2003 at 12:25

What you are describing is chemoluminescence (sp?).

The light comes from excited electrons which fall back.

A few classical examples:

- chlorine gas in H2O2 (bright glow)
- luminol, H2O2 and Fe

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 28-12-2003 at 12:52

White phosphorous reacting with air is another possibility.

Do you have any more information? What did the chemical(s) look like? What colour was the glow? Where did the demonstration take place?

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
guaguanco
Hazard to Others

Mood: heterocyclic

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 12:09

Quote:
Originally posted by Wanabee
Hi all.

I'm trying to find the method to a reaction I once witnessed.

Chemicals(tm) were mixed in a round-bottom flask. Shaken; the mixture produced a dim glow which eventually subsided. Shaken again; the glow began anew.

I suspect that the reaction separate back into its orginal constituents when it runs out of energy, but can't find any sign of it.

Thanks in advance,

Renaud

The classic experiment is the oxidation of Luminol (2-amino 1,4 phthalhydrazide) with H2O2. Aryloxalate esters are used in glowsticks. See this link:
chemiluminescence
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 21-9-2006 at 10:13

this May be the wrong thread, but I`m interested in Chemiluminescece also.
I have 100g of Fluorescein (almost top of the list as me Fave chem), is there any way to Make this material exhibit "glow-in-the-dark" properties?
it`s the Free Acid type I have.

Idealy I`de like to have it done and "Perfected" by Halloween :)

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
tumadre
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2006 at 13:24

quick newbie question first:

is the CL2 / H2O2 a reaction or a catylist for heat energy to emit light?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 21-9-2006 at 13:52

How can heat energy emit light (presumably, you imply black body radiation) when saturated with *water*?

The reaction has to do with spin states of oxygen.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
ethan_c
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2006 at 14:43

What comes to mind immediately for me is an exhibit we had at a museum I worked at.
We had erlenmeyers filled with liquid in a 'shaker,' that were glowing because of aerobic, fluorescent bacteria. If you pressed a button, the shaking stopped, the oxygen stopped dissolving as rapidly in the water, and the glow subsided, eventually disappearing. If you let go of the button, the shaking commenced, and the glow began anew. The bacteria and sugar solution needed to be changed every few days, but the liquid was just clear- not a complex culture or something.

It was my understanding that Luminol and the like glowed nicely for a few seconds/minutes in aquo and then winked out- shake it, and you might get a little weak glow as the reagents were fully mixed, but it didn't keep on glowing every time you shook it.

Anyways, this might be completely different. But sure sounds similar…
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 21-9-2006 at 23:12

@tumadre : Cl2/H2O2 is a real chemical reaction. Singlet oxygen is formed, which also has formula O2, but with a different electronic configuration. When this is transformed to normal O2, then a photon is emitted. This reaction gives weak red glow. A MUCH better effect is obtained, when you add some solid sodium dichloroisocyanuric acid (Na-DCCA) to 30% H2O2. That is quite spectacular. It also works with trichloroisocyanuric acid (TCCA), but not so well. It also works with Ca(ClO)2, but that latter reaction is very violent, so be careful.

@YT2095: Try using a UV-LED in combination with the fluorescein in a dark room. I bet that will give quite spectacular results. Making clothes with a solution of some of this stuff in it, and a UV-LED nearby should give a nice spooky glow in the dark. With some handyness you can construct such a thing.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
tumadre
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2006 at 23:52

thanks.

I'll try the addition of Ca(Cl0)2

i was not thinking of a black body type radiation but a reversible equasion where cem. XY split/combine at temp A and combine/split again at temp B, so the natural distribution of molecular speeds would allow a sutable gap between the two molecular temperatures and therefore provide continual photon production, with heat energy driving it.

but I doubt such a mix exists :(
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 22-9-2006 at 00:24

Quote:
Originally posted by ethan_c
...but it didn't keep on glowing every time you shook it.

A bit off topic, but there is also the phenomena of triboluminescence where mechanical forces on certain crystalline matters cause them to emit light. I know some rare earth complexes exhibit quite strong triboluminiscence (for example, see US6117574).

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
matei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 05:27

Here's a nice review on chemiluminescence. Enjoy!

http://rapidshare.de/files/35341229/chemiluminescence.pdf.ht...
Waffles
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 08:03

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicodem
Quote:
Originally posted by ethan_c
...but it didn't keep on glowing every time you shook it.

A bit off topic, but there is also the phenomena of triboluminescence where mechanical forces on certain crystalline matters cause them to emit light. I know some rare earth complexes exhibit quite strong triboluminiscence (for example, see US6117574).

As does uranyl nitrate. Hammer + plastic baggies + clumpy, old UO2(NO3)2 = nice greenish flashes. I figured, if I was going to powder it up anyways, might as well do it in style!

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 11:02

there are a few good ones here also: http://www.chem.leeds.ac.uk/delights/texts/
experiment #26 is quite charming ;)

I expect at least One of the experiments shown here will be what you`re after.

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 16:28

those glow sticks use a combination of glucose and a base (NaOH) I think.
when the stick is snapped base is released in the solution and chemiluminescence occurs.
indigofuzzy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Distilled

[*] posted on 5-10-2006 at 23:10

Jon,
I would guess it has to be more complicated than that. Unless that means i could mix red devil lye with glucose and make my own glow sticks. That would be really cool. But somehow it sounds too good to be true.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DancingRain

26 elements collected so far
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2006 at 23:24

I thought that glowsticks used phenyl oxalate and hydrogen peroxide, plus a dye.

Ah, these folk seem to believe them same
http://chemmovies.unl.edu/chemistry/dochem/DoChem113.html

Edit - but Wiki sez that a related, substituted phenol is used for the oxalic ester

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightstick

[Edited on 6-10-2006 by not_important]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 6-10-2006 at 00:25

Quote:
Originally posted by indigofuzzy
Jon,
I would guess it has to be more complicated than that. Unless that means i could mix red devil lye with glucose and make my own glow sticks. That would be really cool. But somehow it sounds too good to be true.

You're right, it is not true...

There is, however, a very nice chemiluminiscence reaction, which can be done with easy to obtain chems. Take 5 ml of 30% H2O2, take 500 to 1000 mg of Na-DCCA (pool chlorine granulate, shock treatment, chemical name is sodium dichloroisocyanurate, or sodium dichloro isocyanuric acid) and add the solid to the H2O2 at once. You get a beautiful red light for approximately 30 seconds. It is a very fuzzy light, which is in the gas phase, immediately above the liquid. I made a picture of this:

This is a very cool experiment and it is really easy to perform. This experiment also works with solid Ca(ClO)2, calcium hypochlorite, but be careful with that. The reaction is extremely violent, and the glow only lasts for a few seconds. With TCCA it hardly works. Apparently, the TCCA is not sufficiently soluble. It might work with TCCA + NaOH, but I did not try that.

When you do this experiment, do it in a well-ventilated room. The amount of chlorine, formed in the reaction is not very high, but it is quite smelly and somewhat irritating.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
rotwang
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 03:01

I remember a wierd wierd chemoluminesce reaction with solid diazonium compounds before they explode. for about 30seconds to a minute before they explode there is a blue glow in the air or gas above them. it doesn't seem to be due to nitrogen.
diphenyl diazo methane is the safest on to investigate.
Armistice19
Hazard to Self

Mood: Brain sponge activated!

[*] posted on 4-8-2007 at 17:20

Is there any way to create a chemiluminiscence reaction that lasts longer than 30 seconds with easy to obtain materials? And No I'm not going to break open a bunch of glow sticks and mix the contained reactants because thats cheating. I'm willing to synthesize my own sensitizers if at all realistically possible. I rememeber watching Fight Club way back in middleschool and being overjoyed as my ultimate hero Tyler Durden mixed his own chemiluminiscence formula over the stove of his abandoned house. It would be my greatest accomplishment to achieve the same goal in a simplistic and minimalistic manner. Is this possible?
cbfull
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 05:42

I researched this subject once before to find out if luminol is actually used in glowsticks, and if so, how do they glow so long?

They actaully have some rather exotic compounds that I couldn't even google without getting the same web page. I don't know if they developed the compound or have exclusivity with a supplier or what.

I have tried to open several glowsticks to react them in a beaker, but I diluted it slightly with methanol because it's actually not easy to get all the liquid out (very viscous), and it drastically reduced the glow. I suppose I could have tried to evaporate the methanol but I was too disappointed to mess with it anymore.

Go To Top