Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: BLU-107 Durandal
zthk2011
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 19:01
BLU-107 Durandal

Any body knows that what the main charge explosive is used in the BLU-107 Durandel runway breaking bomb.
Thanks.

[Edited on 30-9-2009 by zthk2011]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 03:10

Cyclotol or octol or similar high-brisance composition, probably. . .
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 09:06

As far as I know, the Durandal first penetrates the surface (the required kinetic energy being attained by the use of a rocket motor) and then detonates underground in order to produce a large crater.
If this is correct, I would think that a high blast explosive would be more effective than a high brisance one. So, I would guess at a metallized, relatively insensitive explosive.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 09:20

Yeah, it had occurred to me that heaving-power too, might be needed in this kind of ordnance.
AFAIK, the durandal is practically obsolete by now. . .
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 09:46

@hissingnoise
Your conjecture as to explosives is very probably right. Not in current
manufacture is not the same as obsolete. It is currently employed by
many militaries worldwide as well as the US.

Funny you can find almost everything about this 40 year old ordnance
except the filler and content of its component charges.

French Giat Industries Weapon Systems and Ammunitions Division
Durandal , penetration runway demolition bomb , $ 30,000 in 2005
USAF nomenclature BLU-107/B
Engagement Sequence :
Dropped at low altitude it deploys a drag chute to brake its forward motion and swings down to a vertical attitude.
A sensor jettisons the chute and fires a rocket booster to accelerate it into the runway surface where a shaped charge
explodes to penetrate through into the ground. A delayed fuze detonates a secondary warhead underground.
Drop weight 440 pounds , Impact weight 363 pounds
The sequence in action
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m-buvo3dj4
Note the order of charges is reversed in this reference
http://www.forecastinternational.com/Archive/or/vm0170.doc

Detailed information can be had from Jane's , by subscription
http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes-Explosive-Ordnance-Dispo...
http://jeod.janes.com/public/jeod/index.shtml

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 13:43

Quote: Originally posted by franklyn  

There may be no standard fill for the durandal because a number of HEs would seem to fit the bill.
Though not quite obsolete the durandal, requiring a low-altitude run-in, would seem suitable only for attacking lightly-defended targets, and is falling from favour for this reason. . .
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 03:14

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Quote: Originally posted by franklyn  

There may be no standard fill for the durandal because a number of HEs would seem to fit the bill.
Though obsolete from the US the stadpoint durandal, requiring a low-altitude run-in, would seem suitable only for attacking lightly-defended targets, and is falling from favour for this reason. . .

obsolescent at the very least,pre GPS etc etc, better results are obtained with far less risk from GPS guided gravity bombs launched from miles away or in the case of some weapons over the horizon or unmanned aircraft with improved ordnance producing precision placed multiple craters from a single munition preventing its use by HP military aircraft(fighters)
Propognda films picturing B1s etc making direct flyovers of varius tgts at minimal altitude are just that ,propoganda to demonstrate load carrying capability.I doubt anthing similar to the munition your talking about has been used in decades in an actual conflict.VN era !Other than the shaped charge component
an explosive optimized for catering maybe as simple as aluminized AN, even the old 40lb "nitramon" (AN/AL) hand placed combat engineers cratering charges may still be in inventory.Back OT the though of the US risking a multimillion/billion $ aircraft even on a suspected undefended airport with munitions that would unnnescessarly risk the platform/pilots not likely under any scenario.Even GPS tail fused delay GP bombs, sc cluster bombs from altitude miles away should penetrate precisely a reinforced runway and effectivley prevent its use wo heavy equipment and extensive repairs.Various online civilian defense sites have info on current and older munitions/armaments, plus.Global security IIRC ++

[Edited on 2-10-2009 by grndpndr]
zthk2011
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-10-2009 at 18:30

Thanks every one. I want to verify that the metallized explosive is the preferred explosive. However, I cannot find any formal literature about this. In my mind, the metallized may be used as the explosive in the US or Euro and I also agree with that the Durandal will still play an important role in today's war.
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2009 at 20:00

Against undefended targets by 2nd world countrys perhaps against 3d world countrys but there no reason for a first world power to risk multimillion dollar aircraft let alone more expensive pilots.When technology will solve the problem with minimal ,to no risk to the attackers.Common sense military tactics is obviosly a completely different discipline than chemistry. In 1st/2nd world tech the durandel would be considered obsolete and dangerous to the attacker.

40-50 yrs ago that tech was state of the art,no longer late 60s however.I would be suprised if not all have been dismantled by the french but of course there could well be backwaters where this munition still exists.I doubt id be comfortable around munitions of that age however.

[Edited on 18-10-2009 by grndpndr]

[Edited on 18-10-2009 by grndpndr]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 18-10-2009 at 07:48

It's not often appreciated that lots of iron bombs were dropped as recently as Desert Storm. Maybe more recently too.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2009 at 06:13

Iron bombs w/GPS guidance if there concerned with high value targets, collateral damage or antiaircraft fire of any sorts like on a battlefield/airfeld/city. You are correct however that in desert storm 92% of air delivered munitions were dumb bombs mainly due to cost and other factors.Still the fact remains that high value, well defended targets are/were generally taken out by guided munitions.Iron bombs have thier place obviously but I would still submit the durandal system is obsolete unless against an undefended target.;)

Your quite right about the preponderance of dumb bomb usage though my guess is the majority were used against low value,lightly defended military targets,troops /trucks, using far superior targeting systems than of the past. I was misguided through the mist of the media and miliary making ass-umptions.Regards All

[Edited on 19-10-2009 by grndpndr]
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2009 at 09:35

Those "dumb bombs" were left-overs from the Korea and Vietnam Wars/Whores, and possibly World War 2 in some cases. A few of them were retro-fitted with laser guidance systems before being dropped.
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-10-2009 at 02:51

Once retrofitted with guidance systems ther no longer dumb bombs but precision guided ordnance.WW2 era bombs GP demolition bombs were designed for ww2 aircraft speeds,bulbous and anything but aerodynamic unsuited for jet aircraft.VN era which were quite likely used up given thier age now are called LDGP bombs. Low drag general purpose bombs.The difference in shape is very easy to discern.WW2 era ordnace was used to a great extent in korea though I doubt exhausted as munitions were still being produced full bore up to VJ day in anticipation of invasion so very large stocks were amassed some used in VN w/o enthusiasm.Theres a munitions disposal site within 12 miles, before it was cleaned up large pieces of very thick bomb casings could be found(IIRC approx 50% wieght is the iron/steel casing) as well as live although w/o fuses arty shells.Woulda been a gold mine for some one interested as some are in russia of recycling ww2 UXO of all manner.I rode home with a friends trophy155mm arty shell w/o fuse but full of HE,I knew in my head it was safe but I gritted my teeth every bump we hit on the gravel road out.LOL

To the inevitable 'friends' who may be monitoring it was over 20 yrs ago an unmarked ,unguarded ,abandoned site,and the shell was turned over to the authotities when my friend imagined hissing noises issung from the HE shell.He assumed it may have been phosgene or mustard gas.I didnt claim he was a rhodes scholar.

[Edited on 21-10-2009 by grndpndr]
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 11:45

Unexploded Legacy

http://news.yahoo.com/massive-wwii-bomb-succesfully-defused-...

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/massive-wwii-bomb-defused-in-ge...

The motherload

http://www.1976design.com/blog/archive/2004/04/18/largest-un...

franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-8-2012 at 07:58

How is this for a time capsule

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/28/13523220-homes...

franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-11-2013 at 20:41

The hits just keep on coming

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57610571/4000-pound-worl...

Melmoth
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-11-2013 at 09:11

The so called Blockbusters Bombs, an EOD dream ;) Fitted with up to three fuzes and the original 4,000 pounds (1,800 kg) version, up to 12,000 pounds (5,400 kg) of Amatol.

And for the BLU-107 hate to disappoint but the warhead's main charge is just 15kg of 'ordinary' TNT

[Edited on 4-11-2013 by Melmoth]

"This species has amused itself to death"
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-11-2013 at 20:48

I do not know about BLU-107. UK air force during WWII used large bomb, named "tollboy". Its weight was 5443 kg. It contented 2358 of torpex- RDX + TNT +Al. The battleship Tirpiz was destroyed by these bombs.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
Melmoth
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-11-2013 at 23:57

BLU-107 was referring to the original topic..

The one you mean is Tallboy, not even the biggest, see picture Nr 8

"This species has amused itself to death"
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 15:44

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/decades-later-germans-st...
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 17:50

http://news.yahoo.com/french-port-closed-demining-team-destr...
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 7-2-2016 at 18:19

http://www.theweek.com/articles/603635/american-bombs-are-st...

careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 7-2-2016 at 22:21

The Allies dropped about 3 million tons of bombs on Germany. It the average weight of bomb was 500 lb (I think it is more likely to be lower than higher), then 12 million bombs were dropped. If the dud rates was 25%, then that is 3 million buried bombs; if only 10% (unlikely) is is 1.2 million. I suppose they must have cleared a fair portion shortly after the war, while cleaning up the mess. Still, if you miss only 20% that is 240,000 to 600,000. They must keep a count of recovered bombs after things got sorted out. I wonder how many they have recovered.

In France they are still recovering artillery shells from WWI (the "iron harvest") on a regular basis.

The discover of these things probably over time follows an exponential decay in rate of recovery, so that some fraction of bombs will remain undiscovered for a very long time. They will probably still be encountering these on occasion thousands of years from now.

[Edited on 8-2-2016 by careysub]
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 12:32

A "blast from the past" takes on a disturbing "new" special dimension of concern when the present time in which that blast from the past eventually arrives is the here and now. A "delay fuse" of an indefinite period of decades nearing a century (or more) is indeed a disturbing reality....but hey ....who's worried? It certainly provides food for thought. And for the foreseeable future, ordnance disposal technicians, and the undertaker, like the grocer.... have assured job security.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 21:02

If my memory serves, the Durandal's were in short supply during operation Desert Storm so the US Air Force made bombs out of old 75mm guns for the casings. I dont know if these were intended for landing strips like the Durandals initially were or as precursor "bunker buster bombs".

As for clearing WWI ordnance, it's been estimated that about 20-25% will be found per century with that number of course decreasing as time goes. I have friends living around Verdun who often call the EOD after making "little piles" as they say in the woods. Of course, I consider it insane, especially considering that about 1/3 of the ordnance of this conflict was chemical. But then, one of them, works looking for leaks in nuclear power plants so his notion of "risk" is different... And then... he says he'd rather do that himself that letting tourists or kids find them...

As for WW2 ordnance, well... I'm lucky enough to have several friends in Normandy aswell. I've walked on most of D-Day landing beaches and I hope I dont offend anyone, I'm certainly not trying to minimize the courage of the man that disembarked on the coasts of Normandy that day but the number of casualties was actually pretty low when you realize the amount of explosives and all kind of traps laid on the coast and the cliffs. The imagination people put into killing each other makes me shiver.
Today, you can still find 88mm pak and flak shells, 250mm shells set as booby traps, teller mines mines, stock mines, mortars and fill buckets of 20mm as close as 3km from the "touristic" beaches.
Fortunately, you cant really stumble on these by mistake while walking the beach as the tide prevents you from going to these places without planning.

But whenever I have an idiot asking me if I'm interested in chemistry to make "bombs". I show them some pictures on my phone and ask them: why bother when you could pick them up from the floor? Literally on the floor: no metal detector needed.
Some places are really scary because army engineers were just tossing the ammo they found over the cliffs in dug out holes before trying to blow up as much as they could. Which of course, most of the time buried the rest of the ammo under the collapsing cliff. With time and tide, these relics reappear every now and then. Of course, agricultors do the same thing except for the blowing up part...
One of the friends I have around there is a retired navy EOD now working HSE in a refinery (yes, a chemical engineer also). Every time he goes on a stroll he finds something new. The good thing is that there is a reward when you call the authorities to alert them about something you've found.
It pays for gasoline and we get to tag along with an expert in history ;)
That said, you should never touch an UXO even if it looks safe, not fired or solid steel (AP). These items were made for war: to kill people and to trick them into false sense of safety.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top