Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: I have found PbO2 for sale
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 05:09

Quote: Originally posted by dann2  

If you don't feel you have the confidence/ability to operate a Lead Nitrate plating tank without contaminating or poisoning yourself. . .

Look dann2, it's about neither confidence or ability---what it is about is the Pb burden your system has accumulated practically since birth. . .
Adding to it in even minute amounts may affect your 'critical thinking' skills. . .that is the point you need to ponder!
That of course is assuming you haven't already plated one anode too many.
[edit]
I just had to look up the word 'reck' as I'd never encountered it before---I got this. . .
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reck

[Edited on 12-11-2009 by hissingnoise]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 07:47

Say heeeeehaaaaaa to deja vu (and hope we do not upset all the listening Gentlemen as we reck each others hair and break our nice manicured finger nails.)

I don't think there were any penal colonies in oz before the twelfth century. . .I could be wrong, though. . .
dann2
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 08:27

Hello,

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  

Look dann2, it's about neither confidence or ability---what it is about is the Pb burden your system has accumulated practically since birth. . .
Adding to it in even minute amounts may affect your 'critical thinking' skills. . .that is the point you need to ponder!
That of course is assuming you haven't already plated one anode too many.
[Edited on 12-11-2009 by hissingnoise]

I have pondered and do not except that a (competent) person cannot
operate a Lead Plating tank and not get contaminated. Of course they may get a few atoms of Lead into their system but you are going to get that anyways if you go near an LD Anode or something that was made with an LD Anode (or fire a gun, drive a car with Leaded petrol in it). If one is worried about a few atoms of Lead. Don't go near LD Anode's in the first place. Do not go close to guns, shooting ranges, ammo, museums, stained glass windows (with Lead in them) etc etc etc, as you are guaranteed a few atoms of Lead in your system that may interfere with critical decision making.
This is of course ridiculous.
I think you are back to doing what you do best, taking the piss.

Of course if the statement, 'plating tanks are out', you made way above applies only to yourself then by all means apply it to yourself.
Lot's of people are quite capable of doing the job and not having their thinking faculties damaged by slopping around.

Dann2

BAN THE LD ANODE!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit2

I enclose a PM for the reverand hissing noise.

Start of pm
---------------------------------------

So anyway, young dann(two-ns), do you still see crossing swords with me as a 'clever choice', or do you wish to invite me to cut you up some more, just to finally get you to make up your obviously enfeebled 'mind'?
Just say the word. . .
I remain your very humble servant, hissingnoise.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Is this guy for real :D
I never quite know if you are being genuine or taking the piss and clowning around. I can see your stress levels rising, perhaps some Paul Simon..........

BAN ELEMENT No. 82

[Edited on 12-11-2009 by dann2]

[Edited on 12-11-2009 by dann2]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 08:39

Hello,
I think you are back to doing what you do best, taking the piss.

I think you may have a point there dann2 and furthermore, I'm probably erring wildly on the side of caution as far as lead is concerned---but ones faculties are not to taken for granted in our polluted modern World. . .
Incidentally treat that PM as if it had never existed---I'll certainly delete my end!
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 09:05

I'm sorry dann2; it's obvious my pisstaking and clowning around has upset you very much more than I expected but IIRC, you're the one who fired the first round. . .
Swede
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 12:13

Hi Pat, good to see you.

My LD anode #2 will be fully tested this month, after a run with pure KCl to test the bucket cell adapter/concept.

As for the LD bath - it truly was a mentally unpleasant experiment. I used nickel nitrate (a carcinogen) along with the lead nitrate, both in high concentrations and large volumes. Materials have to be strong - there must be NO POSSIBILITY of accidental leakage or breakage. Even then, my LD plating outfit:

I ran a HEPA filter right next to the rig to minimize mist drift... and certainly a hood would have been superior. I also used a plastic drop cloth surrounding 1/2 of the rig.

After the plating experiments, the used electrolyte was properly stored, and I checked horizontal surfaces nearby with rhodizonic acid Pb swabs, which turn pink in the presence of lead. The plating rig had some mist on it, but in general it was well-contained and did not travel.

Symptoms: I was irritable and forgetful BEFORE the experiments! :D As a kid, I molded hundreds of Pb balls for muzzleloaders, and used to jog with heavy hands that consisted of two 5 pound lead pigs. My hands were black afterwards.

I suspect I have some Pb in me, but anyone over about 40 sucked in more Pb in the form of tetraethyl lead in gasoline than we'd get messing with chemistry IF basic precautions are taken. Wear gloves, wash hands, wash nearby surfaces with moistened paper towels, etc.

[Edited on 12-11-2009 by Swede]
patsroom
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 12:34

Swede,
Good safety practice. That is always important and I can see that you take very good care of yourself when handling chemicals.
I would like a cost break down to the production of a Lead Dixoide Anode: One as if your would be able to product just one or two the first time that meets a requirtment that would be usable. Two the total cost it has cost just to get where you are at. And I think that a time break down as to all of this would be of use as well.
I hope you are able to provide the answers. But mostly I hope that the anodes that you made to test will be successful. It is very important not to lose sight as to how to make anodes to those who wish to know how to make their own.
As always it is good to hear from you and I hope to again hear what you have to said on the subject...........Pat

[Edited on 12-11-2009 by patsroom]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 12:48

Swede, I'm just hoping Pat's fabricator isn't into this forum. . .
As kids, my brothers and I did a lot of fishing so lead was carried in pockets nearly 24/7 and putting a weight on might be as basic as crimping the lead to a catgut knot using our teeth!
We also spent a lot of time in auto-garages and sort of liked the smell of exhaust-fumes.
Then there was the succession of pellet guns!
Writing in lead and making ingots was a passtime,too.
But today, if I saw a child handling lead I'd be horrified.
The news-item I mentioned earlier was about a just-retired plumber who worked for some months repairing lead-work on a large botanical garden.
He, fairly recently found he couldn't recognise his own wife unless she was wearing a familiar item of clothing (I know, it begs a joke about not recognising a woman with her clothes on.).
Now your set-up looks very professionally thought out, but I'm staying away from lead in solution for good. . .
And I hope the level I have stays the way it is. . .and I still remember how lead tasted. . .

Quote: Originally posted by Swede  
As a kid, I molded hundreds of Pb balls for muzzleloaders, and used to jog with heavy hands that consisted of two 5 pound lead pigs. My hands were black afterwards.
patsroom
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 13:08

It is truly my hope that I have no one fabricating for me. As I myself would hope that I would not fabricate any thing that would be dishonest to any of those here.:(.............Pat
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 13:43

Ohhh. . .God. . .not another one. . .
patsroom
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 19:20

Sorry Did I misunderstand? If I did then we are still on in the good side of life. The pocket Dictionary did confirm the meaning that I accepted of the word fabricate v, -cated, cating.
Also I you like you to know that my sword is in a pawn shop right now so I will not be able to play sword fighting. :(
I think that would fall under: "Stop that or you will poke your eye out". I know my mother wouldn't be happy if she caught ( she is in her late 70's) us playing with sticks like that.
This would be my lame attempt at humor.:P...................Pat
patsroom
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 19:30

Just a quick note to add: If the intent was of one to imply who is to make the anodes for me. Then I should have looked there first. Again I should have not at first looked to the negative side of the word.......Pat

[Edited on 13-11-2009 by patsroom]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2009 at 02:02

Quote: Originally posted by patsroom  

This would be my lame attempt at humor.:P...................Pat

ha. . .
I didn't know there was an Oregon on the sub-continent?

[Edited on 13-11-2009 by hissingnoise]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2009 at 05:49

To be serious for a moment Pat, an anode well suited for home electrolysis would preferably be a GSLD with LD thickness of ~6mm; its surface texture should be 'tight' and black rather than rough and brownish. . .
For shipping it should be set in cotton wool wrapped in several layers of bubble-wrap.
Graphite is the preferred substrate since it's cheaper and adhesion is better with graphite.
Gouging rods make a good substrate. . .
VerAye
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-11-2009 at 01:42

I always got an Headache If I will last more than 3 hours in front of a computer. I do not why. My work is all about computer and I always take medicine every day. What could be the possible solution to remove this symptom of mine?

International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2009 at 01:46

Gee! Is business *that* bad?
Desperation?
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 15:01
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top