Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Homeade Sodium Acetate
VestriDeus
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-11-2009 at 13:42
Homeade Sodium Acetate

I'm wondering, does anyone have any tips/general procudure for making homemade Sodium Acetate (from baking soda + vinegar)

Like how could i purify it to higher concentrations; should i boil the vinegar first so the Acetic Acid conc. is higher, or should i mix the stash first, then boil off the water then??

And any tips on removing the impurities??
darel
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-11-2009 at 15:47

http://www.youtube.com/user/NurdRage#p/u/3/Yxk3OZWq9Ls
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 15-11-2009 at 16:39

Easiest way to remove impurities without using a ton of activated carbon is to filter by gravity, and then slowly recrystalize. Remove the liquid left over, and redissolve the crystals
VestriDeus
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-11-2009 at 21:51

Quote: Originally posted by aonomus  
Easiest way to remove impurities without using a ton of activated carbon is to filter by gravity, and then slowly recrystalize. Remove the liquid left over, and redissolve the crystals

what filter size should i use? would a coffee filter work??
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-11-2009 at 00:41

You'll find that sodium acetate is not very soluble in the standard 70% isopropyl alcohol, while much of the colouring substances are. Wash the crop of crystals in the alcohol, which can be recovered for reuse by simple distillation, and then recrystalise.

For this application coffee filters will work, although some of the sodium acetate will pass through the paper - it's designed for coffee grounds which are pretty big. If you make a hot solution, you'll need to keep the filter hot too else it will quickly clog. A dilute solution will give no problems, then slowly evaporate it at 20 to 40 C.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
17-11-2009 at 11:21
Daddy
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-11-2009 at 14:22

Actually this is one of the experiments I did with my kids - without caring much for purity of the product. Making an oversaturated solution - or "Hot Ice" as it is called in that video -, worked perfectly without any purification at all. We used simply white vinegar and baking soda. It just turned brown after heating; but apart from that it worked perfectly, and my kids were excited about their "heat bag". So if you just want to make that, if you get really clear white vinegar, it is very easy.

For other purposes you might need purer sodium acetate of course, it depends on what you want to do with it.

Go To Top