Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What the hell are mushrooms made of?
VestriDeus
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

mad.gif posted on 4-2-2010 at 20:48
What the hell are mushrooms made of?

This question has always plagued me. Nutrition-wise, they have like 3% carbohydrate and 3% protein, and like no lipid.

So what the f--k are they made of?!?!

(as dry mass; of course pretty much every living thing will be made mostly of water)

[Edited on 5-2-2010 by VestriDeus]
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 21:12

Water, chitin and minerals such as calcium, manganese, copper and iron.

psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 4-2-2010 at 23:19

THETANS!

*ahem*.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 05:36

The major component of any fungi is water just like for any living organism.
Apparently there is much less chitin in mushrooms as one would tend to believe: "The chitin content of 15 species of field grown edible mushrooms was in the range of 1.87–6.93% of total dry mass and 34.51–67.72% of isolated fungin." (cf. DOI: 10.1007/BF01091469)
There are many carbohydrates other than chitin present as well: http://news.illinois.edu/NEWS/05/0214mushrooms.html

Please open referenceless threads only in the Beginnings section where I'm moving this any way.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
5-2-2010 at 05:36
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 20:43

Mushrooms are made mostly of filamentous cells called hyphae. Most of the actual mushroom is usually underground.

Basically, that fruiting body you see is the reproductive organ of the fungi. It's made of filamentous cells as well; those are primarily made of chitin and cell membrane. I imagine that there are some cations like Cu 2+ and Manganese in there. It's mostly minerals probably. There aren't very many energy rich lipids or carbohydrates, because the edible part of the mushroom is not for energy production. Although each cell produces energy, the energy is not stored in the fruiting body.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 23:33

They're mostly water - 80 to 90 percent. Some detailed analysis can be found here

http://www.mushroomcouncil.org/export/sites/default/Nutritio... ( MS DOC file)

http://bibliotecadigital.ipb.pt/bitstream/10198/834/1/JAFC%2... (PDF)

psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 8-2-2010 at 00:36

That's quite amazing to read. It's not really something you think about, but when you do - you have no idea.

Even though I didn't ask the question, I thank you guys for asnwering :)

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-2-2010 at 03:17

I have read somewhere that mushrooms also contain cobalt and B-group vitamins. Poisonous species contain certain polypeptides that cause lethal liver damage. BTW, What about "magic mushrooms", and their psilocybin content?

I remember hearing somewhere that politicians treat people like mushrooms - they keep them "in the dark" and feed them lots of excrement.

Go To Top