Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ethanol Isopropanol Methyl Ethyl Ketone Ternary Azeotrope ?
BaFuxa
Hazard to Self

Mood: Buzzing

[*] posted on 25-1-2019 at 04:50
Ethanol Isopropanol Methyl Ethyl Ketone Ternary Azeotrope ?

Hi,

I am trying to extract pure Etoh from store bought burning alcohol, the label says it contains about 90% by weight of etoh, the SDS says the Etoh is anywhere from 50 to less than 100 wt%, Mek and 2 propanol can vary between 2.5 and 10%.

So I set up the fractional column ( 30cm packed with small gravels) with 250ml of this solution and it started coming over at about 74.8°C and stabilized at 76.3°C for most of the time, then it climbed into the ethanol range about 78.24°C.

Problem is the first fraction is about 200ml and the pure ethanol is just 50ml wich renders this OTC extraction terrible yield wise. I had already extracted Etoh with this product and the yield was much better, the composition must change a bit from batch to batch.

I have read that the Fischer-Tropsch process yields a mix of etoh, mek and 2 propanol but I have yet to find what sort of azeotrope this is.

Etoh forms an azeotrope with MEK when is is about 60 wt% and boils at 74.8°C, so according to the SDS it should not be this one.

I would like to find a way around this, has anyone run into something similar ?

Potential counts for nothing until realized.

Go To Top