Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: old topic, new question:
thereelstory1
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2010 at 18:57
old topic, new question:

could i have some info on how to raise the concentration of hno3 from its azeotrope to as high as possible? i appreciate everyone who answers this question.

AND if you bubbles hc into water at normal atmospheric pressure, say at 0c, what concentration of hcl would you attain?

AND if you heat h2so4, say rooto for instance, what is the highest concentration you think you could get?

I am sure these questions will frustrate some people here, but for us newbies, we would really appreciate this info.

my aim is to avoid paying what i consider high shipping prices associated with buying most of this stuff, and with hno3 i think it would be rewarding to experience the phenomena.

I enjoy chemistry, and i plan to take college chem this fall, but until then, my experiences start here rather than in a lab.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2010 at 19:09

H2SO4 - 98% http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfuric_acid

HCl - about 40% by weight, but HCl gas will come off as the temperature rises to room temperature so you to keep such solutions cool and/or under pressure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid

HNO3 - distill from concentrated H2SO4. The concentrated acid slowly decomposses. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_acid

Both aqueous HNO3 and HCL at concentrations above their azeotropes fume strongly, making storage more of a bother as the fumes tend corrode everything nearby.

Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness
Thread Moved
20-4-2010 at 10:55
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2010 at 15:22

Concentrating sulfuric acid by heatin in an open container @ 338C and normal ambient pressure
will give you 93.3% sulfuric acid.Above 70% you begin to lose some H2SO4 vapors.Above 85% you will lose quite a bit of H2SO4 along with the water vapor, as the H2SO4 continues to concentrate to 93.3 the vapor will appear as a dense white fog.I dilute the concentrated drain cleaner I use for distillations,If I was concentrating
34% batt electrolyte Id simply concentrate to 70% for distillation to68%. Check Rooto's MSDS,It may already be of higher concentration 93.3%. (Google Rooto drain cleaner MSDS.)
Be very careful you dont inhale any fumes while you concentrating
any acid.Preferably out of doors w/o doubt w/sulfuric acid venting into the atmosphere.More dangerous still is the nitric acid.If you do distill nitric acid do it outside or with VERY good ventilation those red fumes from distilling or a mixed acid nitration takes suprisingly small amounts to kill you.Rememer any acid fumes that get into your lungs

are really just droplets of acid and will happily eat away at lung tissue
just like a pair of jeans-shirt .if youve ever handled an auto battery or know someone who has w/o precautions thats what all the holes in the jeans and shirts caused by.Those are your lungs on acid...LOL:

Nitric acid as Not important inferred above deteriorates rapidly at high concentrations.I Think 100% anhydrous white fuming acid could be made at home by someone with skills,equipment and access to specialized chemicals but until you think your ready to try makin some PETN,HMX,RDX It would be rare IMHO for most of us to have use for anything greater than 68%-70% Nitric acid.

[Edited on 23-4-2010 by grndpndr]
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 22-4-2010 at 22:04

I understood one could make 100% H2SO4 by distilling it in vacuo with a short column equipped with a high reflux head. A Wood's metal bath would be nice for such higher temp work. I was planing to distill about 100 ml.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top