Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good Science Forum Names?
alexires
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2010 at 21:14
Good Science Forum Names?

Hello all,

I am looking for good forum names that relate to science (namely energetic materials and alternative energy sources). So far, it has been a difficult quest with names like the following brainstormed:

flammis.org
combustive.org
sn2.org

with sn2 being my favourite of the above.

Any ideas from the vox populi?
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 18-4-2010 at 02:59

Quote:
So far, it has been a difficult quest.

Geeez, yeah!
What an onerous task - I can see how it made you break a 4-year silence. . .
Isn't the best not good enough?

Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 18-4-2010 at 05:17

I know scienceinsanity :D

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 18-4-2010 at 06:00

Phrixus! As bad as it gets?
The only limit here is one's inventiveness. . .
Einstein'snose.org
Nobel'stoenails.org
Urbanski'sstove, Thor'sanvil, Lightning'sway, etc.

Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 18-4-2010 at 06:20

how about www.my200thpost.com

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

alexires
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-4-2010 at 17:22

Hah, Urbanski'sstove! Nobel'sbrother? Oh wait, bad joke.....

It isn't a case of the best not being good enough, just more a slightly different focus on the board content.

hissingnoise, why did you happen to use something from Norse mythology? Was it just for the lightning and its similarity to our more familiar flash of light and resounding concussion?

Still, any and all suggestions are appreciated.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 18-4-2010 at 19:05

Be wary when searching for new domain names. When I searched bromicacid.com it was available, but when I searched for it a few days later to purchase it, it was no longer available. I settled for bromicacid.net, but shortly after purchasing that, bromicacid.com became available again and I purchased that instead. Same thing happened with a few other domain names I was searching for, they would be there then gone, like someone was keeping track of what was being searched for and reserved them and within a week they were back. Strange.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 18-4-2010 at 20:03

I thought ScienceMadness was a pretty good name.... that's why I'm here; i.e. not on yours.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
alexires
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-4-2010 at 05:05

psychokinetic - See, I would have thought you weren't on mine because, wait, it doesn't exist yet!

I will keep that in mind BromicAcid, as it sounds like the kind of underhanded thing some hosts would do.

Ahh well, back to searching.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-4-2010 at 05:58

Why start a new forum on science and energetic materials in special when such forums already exist? Sciencemadness has its own subsection devoted to energetic materials.

I also find the relation of energetic materials on one side and alternative energy sources on the other side a strange one. These two subjects look so totally different to me. When I am thinking of alternative energy sources, then the last thing which comes into my mind is energetic materials like the stuff discussed over here in the energetic materials subsection.

Some domain names (do end in .net or .org or one of the country codes, do not end in .com):

- energetics.* (* = net, org)
- perpetualscience.net

I like the second one for a science forum on energy, the rationale behind the name is the forever ongoing scientific research on better energy source, while at the same time it contain a wink towards the unreachable and impossible infinite source of energy, the perpetuum molbile.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 19-4-2010 at 06:31

alexires,

Is this supposed to be a branch-off of RS? :) Pretty sure your crowd has been hunkering for a new place for months...

sparky (~_~)

P.S. for the uninitiated: he's a moderator @ Mega's site (that was).

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
alexires
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-4-2010 at 16:19

Ahhh, the cat's out of the bag now ;).

I am trying to get away from the idea that this will be a "replacement" for RS. I don't think anything besides the old forum would or could replace it.

Woelen - I believe most other sites lack the application based side of Energetic Materials and also the focus will be shifted a little from "I'll just pop down to my local reagent supply story and buy X". Although that will be in there, precursors, synthesis techniques and home built lab rigs will be an important part of the site.

Perhaps the study of both energetics and alternative energy looks different at the onset, but it is the mindset that wants to experiment with the strange and the difficult which is what I am trying to attract. People that like to see results with what they are working with, as opposed to people that have memorised some rate equations, some isotherms, can do some partial derivatives and suddenly think they are an experimenter.

I'm not saying that theory isn't important, but I think it is pretty pointless talking about it on a place like this if it doesn't have a practical application accessible to someone without the financial support of a corporation behind them.

I'm looking to offer a place to people where they are allowed to think what they want, a place that is not dedicated to pure chemistry but where the layman and scientist will be able to come and find something useful to take away. A place where someone frustrated, pissed off and annoyed at the inanity of their life or the society they live in can come and share ideas with people who are pissed off too and more importantly OFFER them ideas, tools and methods to make life a little more the way they want it.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 19-4-2010 at 19:11

Quote: Originally posted by alexires  

I'm looking to offer a place to people where they are allowed to think what they want, a place that is not dedicated to pure chemistry but where the layman and scientist will be able to come and find something useful to take away. A place where someone frustrated, pissed off and annoyed at the inanity of their life or the society they live in can come and share ideas with people who are pissed off too and more importantly OFFER them ideas, tools and methods to make life a little more the way they want it.

Honestly brother... I think your already a member of just such a forum:).
http://www.thevespiary.org/talk/index.php

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 20-4-2010 at 00:07

Quote: Originally posted by alexires  
psychokinetic - See, I would have thought you weren't on mine because, wait, it doesn't exist yet!

Aha, touche good sir. :P

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
alexires
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-4-2010 at 18:13

Thank you all for your assistance. You have given me something to think about and hopefully I come up with something worth while soon.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 27-4-2010 at 18:23

How about "The Planet Mongo, Explosives Forum" Hosted by Ming The Merciless.

Has a nice ring to it.

mongo.org

Go To Top