Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reduction of Sodium Nitrate to Sodium nitrite
AMAR JOHARI
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-4-2010 at 21:49
Reduction of Sodium Nitrate to Sodium nitrite

How can I reduce aqueous solution of sodium nitrate to Sodium nitrite by Photocatalytic reduction using UV light?
What is the yield?Give details of apparatus.
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 24-4-2010 at 23:11

im afraid my friend that asking questions with out having looked for referenced synthesis first is kind
of frowned on around here.

a for instance of what would be considered more apropriate would be.

I have found X synthesis here is X's reference
Has anyone tried X synthesis as I am think of trying it and finaly if they have could they
give me some advice on successfully completing X synthesis

you will find that most of the people here then feel that although you are asking a question you
have helped the masses by bringing a referenced idea to light.

no insult ment my friend but there are many here that dont mind insulting and will more than
likely just tell you were to go.

then again some times we get lucky even here.

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 25-4-2010 at 01:55

Nitrite by thermal decomposition of nitrate would seem a lot simpler than reduction by photocatalysis.

chochu3
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inside looking out

[*] posted on 25-4-2010 at 17:27

The only problem with making nitrites in an aqueous solution is the nitrite reabsorbs the oxygen thats dissolved in water and reforms the nitrate. These type of reduction in aqueous solution have been done with such metals as: Zn, K, Na, Pb, or Zn-Amalgam. Not to sure how the active metals like sodium would work in an aqueous solution with a nitrate without the reaction being to violent, but thats all the information I got out of the reference book I used Inorganic Treatise Vol (not to sure)
Here is word document attached made in office 2003 or 2007. I have bits of information compiled from inorganic treatise and other books when I was trying to find the different methods of converting nitrates to the nitrite.
The only synthesis of nitrites to nitrates I have accomplished and tried was the thermal decomposition with granulated lead. Which I posted a pic in another thread somewhere around here. I tested the nitrite with HCl and fumed a lot of NO2 vapors. I have tried to make nitrite with UV light but my attempt was unsuccessful, though I don't remember the specifics of the reaction and the apparatus but would love to give another try. All my experiments were done with potassium nitrate from root killer.

Attachment: Nitrites.docx (11kB)
This file has been downloaded 1086 times

\"Abiding in the midst of ignorance, thinking themselves wise and learned, fools go aimlessly hither and thither, like blind led by the blind.\" - Katha Upanishad
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-4-2010 at 21:28

And for those of you that are using MS Windows, but don't have Office 2007, Microsoft has the free Word Viewer 2007 that will let you see DOCX files.

For those who do not wish to use MS products, or are using an OS and/or hardware platform unsupported by Microsoft, Open Office V3 can also open DOCX files.

So here is that file in Open Office and PDF format:

Attachment: Nitrites.pdf (34kB)
This file has been downloaded 2321 times

Attachment: Nitrites.odt (16kB)
This file has been downloaded 654 times

Go To Top