Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Inert liquid with high boiling point ??!!?
fludyoptasyphos
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 11:35
Inert liquid with high boiling point ??!!?

hi , for pc cooling system , what are some inert liquids with high boiling point ? where i find ? other info too

✖ reaktiv ✖
Skyjumper
Hazard to Self

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 11:55

How about the liquid you buy for pc cooling? You dont need a high boiling point.

UTFSE!
Anti-freeze for a pump system. The whole system could be submerged into mineral oil. But thats stupid pointless.

Once again UTFSE
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 15:19

I have seen a clear computer that was completely sealed and they filled it with glycerine to aid cooling and hinted at the idea that this is how all the computers in the future will be cooled since its far superior then air cooling.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 01:25

Inert liquids with high boiling points? If you want some that are only difficultly flammable, are not electrically conducting, and only poor conductors of heat, try liquid fluorocarbons and silicones of appropriate molecular weights. Paraffin hydrocarbons could also do, but are inflammable. But if you want a liquid with a really high boiling point, and a long liquid range above 30ºC, but which is electrically and thermally conducting, you should look at gallium. Mercury could be used in the latter case, but is toxic, and probably more expen$ive.

For a PC cooling system, a thermally conducting liquid would be MUCH more efficient, but use of gallium would be possible only with all parts of the cooling system above its melting-point of about 30ºC, not easily possible except in the hottest climates. Other than that, Hg would have to be used instead. The eutectics of Ga with Al or Zn or Sn have melting-points only very slightly less than this. The eutectic of Na with K is out, because of the extreme reactivity and fire hazard of this alloy if it were ever exposed to air or water (or to any common gas other than argon).

While water has a high specific heat capacity (although only a low thermal conductivity), it is liable to be corrosive to many ferrous or aluminium alloys, and its electrical conductivity would short out circuits if it were to leak. Its short liquid range at normal pressure, only to 100ºC, is also a disadvantage; although this can be extended by use of pressure, but again this would require a cooling system also designed as a pressure vessel, and the consequences of a rupture of such a cooling system - superheated steam - would be serious.

[Edited on 8-5-10 by JohnWW]
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 02:21

I'm fairly certain there's a hardcore computer cooling company that uses NaK as the heat exchange fluid! Its supposedly designed so that its "safe", and so that theres close to 0% chance that the NaK can be exposed to air.

Of common fluids, water is pretty good, as it has a high specific heat capacity, and if you're able to, you could rig up an evaporative cooling system, as someone here tried for condenser cooling. Typically high end fluids for "watercooling" of PC's consist of water, ethylene/propylene glycol and corrosion inhibitors as far as I remember, plus UV active/fluorescent pigments for "wow factor"
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 05:09

High boiling point ?
What are you talking about ?
The peak operating temperature of a CPU is not over 90 ºC
realistically this should be down around 55 ºC or less if you
expect it to behave reliably with some lifespan.
Commercial liquid cooling is far more expensive than a good
fan and offers practically no advantage in terms of heat
removal. It offers a theoretical advantage only with high
overclocking , what it is intended for.
To give you some idea , you can buy a 5000 BTU room window
air conditioner on sale for as low as $80. A computer liquid
cooling system which can handle perhaps a fifth of that is
$ 300 or more. You would do better to remove the door to
your computer case and attach the room air conditioner with
a cardboard shroud and duct tape.

Idealy vapor heat transfer is the most effective means of
sinking heat. A heat pipe as the ones used in Laptops with
the radiator immersed in a container filled with a volatile fluid
will maintain the operating temperature at the boiling point
of the fluid.
Drop in some dry ice and for as long as it takes to boil
away you will maintain the teperature low enough to
overclock to at least 3 times the rated clock speed.

Using the cooling coil , pump and radiator from a small
refrigerator will serve almost as well as the dry ice.

psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 23:56

Water?

If your pc is going over 100C, I think you have bigger problems.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 8-5-2010 at 00:10

I say Glycerine. Shit its cool as hell to look at because the heat forms pillars of wavys on its way up but case your cheep.... how bout cooking oil.
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/cool-your-pc-by-filling-y...

Title suggest high temp fluid but you want one with a high heat transfer rate not a high boiling point as much.

[Edited on 8-5-2010 by Sedit]

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
fludyoptasyphos
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-5-2010 at 10:07

thks!!

✖ reaktiv ✖
Skyjumper
Hazard to Self

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 10-5-2010 at 08:45

NOT GLYCEROL. You need a NON CONDUCTIVE substance. Mineral oil was used in a demo I saw (a PC was submerged into a fishtank filled with oil.)
ndriley97
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-3-2011 at 16:06

For reals? NaK is pretty nasty stuff. Explodes on contact with air/water. Plus its thermal coefficient is lower than water. Looks cool and sounds cool though to have a liquid metal as a coolant. How about mercury?
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 23-3-2011 at 17:26

Quote: Originally posted by ndriley97  
For reals? NaK is pretty nasty stuff. Explodes on contact with air/water. Plus its thermal coefficient is lower than water. Looks cool and sounds cool though to have a liquid metal as a coolant. How about mercury?

Thermal coefficient?

Thermal conductivity of NaK alloys is very high, probably the highest of any cheap, liquid at low temp substance there is with a thermal conductivity almost 40 times higher than water both in liq. state. Specific heat capacity is another matter, while still high it is roughly one quarter that of water

Mercury amalgamates with copper and a number of other commonly used heat sink materials as aluminium, so it is unsuitable. Another option would perhaps be a gallium alloy as Galinstan with a thermal conductivity reaching about 70% that of a eutectic NaK alloy.

And believe me, to those who discussed submerging your PC components in almost any oil or solvent for cooling purposes will certainly dissolve or ruin the rubber/plastic parts of e.g. capacitors in a very short while.

ref.
http://www.nordichardware.com/cooling/181-danamics-lm10-liqu...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galinstan

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
ndriley97
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-3-2011 at 14:34

My bad - I meant capacity, not conductivity. The mention of mercury was facetious - I was just pointing to another dangerous compound that has no place in a household appliance.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 26-3-2011 at 06:47

Fluorinert from 3M. 3/4 of a gallon yours for just $600

It's used in supercomputers and to cool equipment in the semiconductor industry.

Being fluoro saturated, the oils tend to display exceptional properties (similar to PTFE); e.g. high breakdowns, essentially 100% unreactive, vanishingly low dielectric constants.

These have already been discussed by the overclockers. The issue is the eye popping price. There is, however, at least one company I am aware of who sell recovered fluoro oil for quite a lot less. It's not good enough for the labs, supercomputer and semiconductor guys who want a well known standard from the start, but may be of use at home. It's still expensive. You can start the quest to a slightly faster CPU with this thread. <------ Linkeroo.

These fluoro oils are also not as 100% safe and easy as they at first seem. I have heard from people who work with them that they tend to make your skin dry and flaky if you get it on you, and that they can get around certain elastomer seals; so they disappear over time for no apparent reason.

I think I have seen people mentioning mineral and silicone oil.

Because the clocks run at such high frequencies, it's not just the resistance of the fluid that need to be thought about. The high frequency signal will couple between points or go missing (dissipate) if the fluid has a high dielectric constant; as you've built a capacitor around every exposed pin on the board with the fluid.

Here are some examples of permeability;

Vacuum, 1
Air, essentially 1
Sulphur Hexafluoride, 1-2 <---- this is that gas that's 5x denser than air. It's used by the national grids because it's an excellent electrical insulator and can actually extinguish arc faults on the transmission line switches, fuses and breakers. In fact, they're one of the primary users. It has other odd properties, like being a good thermal insulator, so it's used in super double / triple glazing and for soundproof glazing due to it's density.
Fluorinert FC-77, 1.9
Silicone oil, 2.5
Glycerol, 42
Water, 80

Submersed cooling is a lot of effort given the results. If you miss something out (e.g. the coolant gets contaminated), it'll do more harm than good.

There are certainly far more realistic and fun games you can play with girls for $600. :P

[Edited on 26-3-2011 by peach]

White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 07:10

Does ethylene glycol cooling fluid have a high enough boiling point? It's cheap, readily available, and reasonably inert. Surely, your computer doesn't bet much hotter than 200C, unless your pump stops working.
fludyoptasyphos
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 21:01

Freon NH3 N2 ? It's better

✖ reaktiv ✖
fludyoptasyphos
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 21:27

Quote: Originally posted by fludyoptasyphos  
Freon NH3 N2 ? It's better

doh ! but the disvantage the boiling point is too low
needed another refrigerant (thermal exchanger) system, extern of PC / supercomputer

mainfream huge-supercomp. and one is like-mainstream (I can't remeber the name, use also to drive money)
need a high refrigeration, the systems for they ?

✖ reaktiv ✖
fludyoptasyphos
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 17:56

mainframe *

✖ reaktiv ✖
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 14:14

Quote: Originally posted by fludyoptasyphos  
mainframe *

You might want to use the edit button next time.

Just a thought.

My quite small but growing Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealChemLabs

Newest video: Synthesis of Chloroform

The difference between chemists and chemical engineers: Chemists use test tubes, chemical engineers use buckets.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 15:51

The options are not complicated for a computer at home.

Heat sink with fan
Massive heat sink on it's own
Water in a loop
Mineral oil submersion
Phase change cooler (by far the most common for those after high performance)
Liquid nitrogen / dry ice cup on the CPU

Visit this link.

White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 18-8-2011 at 00:46

Are you trying to overclock your PC? Because if that is the case, I suggest you use a fluid with a very low freezing point, and a low boiling point. Ethylene glycol should do the trick if you are trying to run your PC at normal temperatures. Mineral oil is so inert that you can run it right through the CPU without damaging it.

Another, (more dangerous) option is to use a molten metal of some kind. NaK or mercury would work amazingly well as heat transfer fluids because of their very high thermal conductivities. Mercury would work really well, but be sure not to use any aluminium parts because the fluid will react with them, forming an amalgam and eating through the parts in question. Copper parts should do the trick. NaK would also work extremely well, but as we all know, it reacts vigorously with water. Cs wouldn't work very well because it freezes at too high a temperature for use in a high performance computer cooling system. Just be sure to electrically insulate the CPU from the cooling fluid, or else you're in for a big surprise:D

Go To Top