Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Understanding chemistry
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 18:02
Understanding chemistry

So I love science in general and chemistry in particular. I am comfortable saying that I know a lot of chemistry for my age. But I have a problem, since everything I know about chemistry came from reading online and a few books I am missing alot of the theoretical and principal stuff. Things like understanding the behavior of atoms and how some of the more complicated bonding takes place. I would love to just sit down and listen to some boring lecture just to understand these things, but my school doesnt offer chemistry until senior year. And switching schools is not an option my father likes. If things work out I will have an internship at my sates university, but that is not quite a class.

So my question is, would any of you recomend some theoretical chemistry books? I already have 3 books one highschool one, a very interesting book on Organic synthesis, and a advanced theoretical organic chemistrybook.
The highschool one is very poorly writtten and about 1/2 of it is missing. The Organic chemistry one is very interesting and I understand a decent amount of it, but the advanced organic one is very tough for me, me reading that is like my dog trying to do trigonometry.

So what I am looking for is books that deal with the concepts and theorys behind chemistry. Also I do like books that deal with synthesis, but that comes after I learn more of the theoretical stuff.

Comments and advice are appreciated.
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 18:08

So you're after theory of organic chemistry? For this, Clayden et al. do a pretty good job, and you'll find a d/l link in the references kindly provided by JohnWW. The book is in an easy-to-understand format, and its the staple organic textbook of a fair few universities here in the UK.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 18:12

I can recommend:

General Chemistry by Linus Pauling (don't let that name scare you :))

College Chemistry by Holtzclaw et al

You can likely find these used on Abebooks.com

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 19:15

Thank you both for the reply I will be sure to check those books out.
SWilkin676
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-5-2010 at 06:46

http://www.amazon.com/Chemistry-Concepts-Problems-Self-Teach...

If you're an adhd type learner like I am and want to some really basic fundamental material try this one. The style of teaching is to tell you then ask you - forces you to retain the material. This is the one to read before you try to tackle a college chemistry text.
thorazine
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-5-2010 at 17:05

Lesson one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX6lL6hvoEo&feature=PlayL...

In youtube u'll found a lot of lectures..isn't the same but helps :)

Go To Top