Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitric acid exp.
dann2
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 07:14
Nitric acid exp.

Hello,

Came accross this when trawling through Urbanski's bowels (as one does from time to time).
Does it actually work?
Ideal stuff for manufacturing from the Nitric acid obtained from a peat bog.
Lime is available from lower down in bogs.

Dann2

Attachment: US1751326.pdf (35kB)
This file has been downloaded 485 times

bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 07:22

Detail is lacking, and I don't think it makes sense to speak of 'dissolving' lime in nitric acid; there will be a reaction that produces calcium nitrate. Anyway I can certainly believe that there is some proportion of CaNO3 + HNO3 + porous organic matter that would make a fine explosive, but the patent doesn't indicate whether lime is added in sufficient amount to neutralize the HNO3, or not. Or how much cellulose is used, and so on.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 07:25

There's only one way to really find out.
I'm skeptical due to the diluting the acid with (one to five parts!) water. But let's say everything was made practical - with anhydrous acid to start with, exposed to quality cellulose, etc. I wonder why the lime?

edit:

Appears to be a "Sprengle" concept that could be workable:I don't understand the neutralization concept (if that what it is) rather than some other means to make it "transportable" or safe, etc.

[Edited on 10-7-2010 by quicksilver]

Engager
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lagrangian

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 16:45

There are some nasty powerful explosives witch can be made using concentrated nitric acid. Some guys on our local forum were experimenting with semi-liquid explosives prepared by dissolving ammonium nitrate and hexamethylentetramine in concentrated HNO3 and adding pulverized Al to get ideal oxygen balance. This explosive found to be very powerful much like nitroglycerin but less sensitive and readily detonated by small primary charge. If you are interested i can ask mate from Russian forum for details.

Also instead of HNO3, 70% perchloric acid can also be used. I've have a patent in witch mixture of perchloric acid with miscible organic compounds like acetone, glycol, e.t.c with neutral oxygen ballance are proposed as liquid explosive for area blasts. This stuff is especially interesting since components for such explosive can be easily bought from chemical supplier at any quantity without any trouble. This patent is attached to my message.

Attachment: US2504119.pdf (147kB)
This file has been downloaded 485 times

[Edited on 3-8-2010 by Engager]

Jimbo Jones
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 00:52

Thanks for the patent Engager. Very good info as usual. Over the years I had visited different Russian forums (nice stuff indeed), but this binary sounds new for me. Maybe some link to the forum or the thread will be helpful.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 01:02

Yes, please find out what you can. If it's all in Russian I may be able to find a means to translate it.

Engager
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lagrangian

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 12:43

Well, i was able to dig some info. Following information is translated reply from my mate in Russian forums:

Compositions used, were solutions of organic fuel in a ammonium nitrate/nitric acid eutectics (di-tri-nitrates of ammonia 50/50 (solution of 80g NH4NO3 in 100g of concentrated nitric acid)) with zero or positive oxygen balance. Calculation of energetics for such solutions gave theoretical heats of explosion from 3 MJ/kg at positive oxygen balance to 6 MJ/kg at zero balance. Those liquid explosive-oxidizers were mixed with fine tempered aluminum plates (aluminum silver paint) in general in proportion 60/40.

Explosion workability (measured by earth throw from charge in hole drilled in soil) of mediate composition was 5 times higher then styphnic/picric acid (those are almost equal to TNT). Brissance was higher then NG dynamite, brisance was always tested on metal plate. There is data that some of such compositions give brissance higher than dense RDX and are on HMX level.

One example is semi-liquid explosive called "Red Slurry" by guys in Russian forum: Explosive is made in several stages, at first 40g of ammonium nitrate and 60g of hexamethyleneteramine were mixed and heated together until mixture get dark-red coloration (mixture starts actively evolve amine smoke). Product is cooled and dissolved with cooling in 100g of 95-96% nitric acid. Resulting solution is red mobile liquid containing some impurities witch are oxidized by nitric acid. To remove those liquid can be heated at 100C for 12-13 hours with little gas evolution, mixture became yellow but combustive and explosive properties have not changed in any visible amount. This mixture was used in combination with aluminum 65/35 and 60/40. Brisance was higher then NG with almost 2 times higher workability, explosive was stable against shaking and shock. Proper initiation of mixture without aluminum required 1g detonator with PETN or RDX or 4g charge of trinitroresorcine , while aluminized mixture is much more easy to initiate and requires only fraction of gramm.

[Edited on 3-8-2010 by Engager]

Jimbo Jones
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-8-2010 at 02:05

„Those liquid explosive-oxidizers were mixed with fine tempered aluminum plates (aluminum silver paint) in general in proportion 60/40.“

Based on the statement above, I guess this form some nice, but corrosive explosive mixture with somewhat thermobaric characteristics. Some of my tests shows that if the active ingredients in the thermobaric „soup“ are sensitive enough, a full detonation may be achieved even with strong detonator. Not exactly a straight thermobaric, but heavy aluminized (semi-liquid) explosive mixtures with very similar properties.

One more thing. It’s obvious that the famous Astrolite explosives are just ordinary nitrate slurries on steroids. I've always wanted to try simple thermobaric slurry based on hydrazine nitrate, water, aluminum powder, microspheres and some gelling agent.

Go To Top