Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  22    24
Author: Subject: The trouble with neodymium...
SantinoCase
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-9-2019 at 04:26

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Due to beaker breakage the investigation into the presence of Pr had to be abandoned (evidence lost!). Shame.

Below is another pic of the suspected mix of FeCl3 and PrCl3, with prominent green patches between 10 and 11 o'clock:

praseodymiummaybe.jpg - 37kB

Nd(OH)3.n H2O suspension about to be filtered, nice lavender colour:

s1600.jpg - 29kB

Nd(OH)3.n H2O on the filter:

s1600.jpg - 29kB

NdCl3.6 H2O (photo distorts colour), after dissolving Nd(OH)3 in HCl, crystallizing, washing with acetone and drying. Predictably perhaps, when viewed under a 'saver bulb' it takes on a decidedly greenish hue!

NdCl3.jpg - 21kB

Hi Same thing here, I think I need some stronger beakers.
Did you give it another try?
BauArf56
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-3-2020 at 12:15

I tried the extraction with another method. I place some crushed magnet (with nickel cover) in a copper sulfate solution. After some hour solution turn green. In this solution should be ferric sulfate, nickel sulfate and neodymium sulfate. I add some potassium exacyanoferrate and turned dark red (nickel exacyanoferrate, i think). I filtered and the liquid should contain Nd2(SO4)3. Added sodium hydroxide and solution turn light blue. Is it neodymium hydroxide?
Lion850
National Hazard

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 13-3-2020 at 22:32

Possible way to separate the dissolved sulfates: Neodymium sulfate solubility in water drops off greatly as the water get need 100 C. This causes the neodymium sulfate to precipitate out near boiling point and it can then be filtered out by filtering the near boiling solution.
 Pages:  1  ..  22    24

Go To Top