Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: nickel sulfate
condennnsa
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-7-2010 at 11:52
nickel sulfate

I added a 19.6 g nichrome heating element to 100g 30% H2SO4, and 100 ml of water. I then began heating the solution, and it started to react visibly, but after about 10 minutes the reaction stopped ... The solution just started to boil, but no Hydrogen was being produced at the metal.

The solution is a deep blue-green color. I weighed the leftover nichrome, and it's 12.6g, so 7g of Ni/Cr went in solution, but why won't the rest of the metal keep reacting? There is still plenty of acid...
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-7-2010 at 13:08

Try another acid, like hot, strong HCl. For pure Ni HCl isn't great but for nichrome it could work fine (if not, you might be separating Ni from Cr).

I had a similar experience with H2SO4 dissolution of an NdFe magnet where inexplicably the reaction simply stopped after a few minutes. Boiling didn't revive it either. Strange...
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-5-2017 at 02:09

I tried reacting a 0.3g strip of nickel with sulphuric acid in a test tube, I started with 50% concentration sulphuric acid but added a few drops of more concentrated acid when the reaction slowed and then applied heat to really get things going, what I ended up with is a white precipitate in a very faint green solution.

the nickel strips were purchased from eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/132053792926?_trksid=p2057872.m27...

The seller claims they are 99.96% nickel and not nickel electroplated on a substrate.

What might this precipitate be?

DSC_0019.JPG - 1.9MB
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 17-5-2017 at 11:52

That's not the right question NedsHead. Ask what the metal is. It can't be Ni.

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
18-5-2017 at 08:44

Go To Top