Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: steam distillation - best method?
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 13:34

In many cases the best way for steam generation is to return the condensate to the boiler, any product that remains in the water goes up in the steam. This is easiest with the single pot (no separate steam feed) method, on a large scale a a return to the separate boiler is worth the work. If the product has a very low water solubility this isn't a concern.

As already stated, steam distillation is a subset of codistillation. Other liquids have been used, kerosene and mercury amount them; even gases can be used. In all cases they allow distillation of materials at temperatures well below their boiling points; when one substance has little association with water while another has a higher degree of association, steam distillation allows separation even if the substances boiling points are close - see the preparation of o- and p- nitrophenol from nitration of phenol.

Oxidation isn't much of a concern as the vapours quickly drive out air from the system. Overheating is of little concern as well, if you are using a separate steam feed it is common to heat the pot itself as well but you can either control that temperature or place a little concentrated salt solution in it to limit the pot temperature - if the aqueous salt phase gets too small lower the pot temperature a bit.

peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 20:24

Mercury 'steam distillations'? Excellent! :D

I know they do p- o- separation of xylene through zeolite now, or I've seen a patent for it anyway; but that could mean anything.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 30-8-2010 at 18:22

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
Single flask steam distillation is not a very good technique. It's much better to run live steam into the flask with the material in it. This way the oils co-distill right away rather than sitting in boiling water where they are more labile to oxidation. I have a pressure cooker converted to release a continuous course of steam and a water collector in line to capture any condensate. Lab instructors often oversimplify in favor of completing the task in the allocated time.

Some lab procedures call for the single flask distillation, eg, that for making malachite green in Brewster et al, and that for recovering clove oil in Pavia et al. I'm still wondering if there aren't reasons for selecting this method over live steam injection other than simplicity and saving time.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 9-10-2010 at 19:50

Today I had need to use steam distillation in a workup for N,N-dimethylaniline. I used a combination of live steam and direct heat. Now that I recall this is what I usually do, especially when the pot is relatively large as in this case, a 1000mL RBF. This supplies enough heat to keep the distillation rate up to the maximum capacity of the condenser, which is ice water cooled. The live steam injector does a great job of keeping everything well agitated, which maximizes heat transfer and liquid surface area.

steam distillation.JPG - 46kBsteam dist pot.JPG - 42kB500mL receiver.JPG - 38kB

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Ephesian
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 18:58

Magpie I'm trying to decipher your set up... From what I see you're passing steam through your sep funnel which leads back into your reaction vessel. Is the purpose of this to minimize excess water in the reaction vessel that is not contributing to driving your product over to the collection flask?
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 19:14

Quote: Originally posted by Ephesian  
Magpie I'm trying to decipher your set up... From what I see you're passing steam through your sep funnel which leads back into your reaction vessel. Is the purpose of this to minimize excess water in the reaction vessel that is not contributing to driving your product over to the collection flask?

Yes.

The 500mL separatory funnel is just a drop-out pot for condensate that forms in the steam line. A smaller funnel could be used - you would just have to drain it more often.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top