Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Manganese compound?
kuro96inlaila
Hazard to Self

Mood: Quietly thinking

shocked.gif posted on 18-8-2010 at 16:04
Manganese compound?

Few days ago,I was grinding a mixture of potassium permanganate and glucose in granite mortar.Then I use the mixture and left the mortar for a day.The colour of the residue is dark brown,before I left it it was a bit whiter because of glucose.

My theory is some of the glucose had reduce the potassium permanganate to Manganese dioxide.Then I took the mortar to the sink and wash it with water.The water turn deep violet indicating potassium permanganate is still there,but leaving a dark area........guess it is manganese dioxide.Ok,in order trying to get rid of that stain,I pour in bleach (sodium hypochlorite).

After the next day,I pour the bleach that I left in my granite mortar and I receive this odd coloured solution(pictured),Is this a compound of manganese or just solution of potassium permanganate?

(I'm sure that I wash the mortar untill all the potassium permanganate dissolved)

P8190549.JPG - 74kB
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 18-8-2010 at 19:16

You are lucky that mixture did not catch fire or worse when you were grinding it. Carbohydrate- permanganate mixtures are notorious. I have set mixtures of table sugar (sucrose) and permanganate off by tapping with a hammer. Apparently a flash mixture can also be so made.

The dark brown was MnO2. Although I have generated MnO4 from MnCl2 via bleach (NaOCl), which was verified by UV-Vis spectroscopy, your mix looks like MnCl2 with maybe a*trace* of MnO4 (provided that the color saturation of the photo is good). It might be of interest to add further NaOCl and see what happens.

What was your stoichiometry?

Cheers,

O3

[Edited on 19-8-2010 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 18-8-2010 at 22:04

Too strong to be MnCl2.

I'd put my money on MnO4-. Bleach is strong stuff.

Next time, go for H2SO4 + H2O2 -- peroxide is an excellent reducing agent around manganese. Go easy with it, just a few drops of peroxide at a time!

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 19-8-2010 at 00:09

I agree with 12AX7, even the strongest concentration of MnCl2 solution has a much lighter colour. Probably it's mixed with a trace of KMnO4.
kuro96inlaila
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-8-2010 at 02:28

Quote: Originally posted by Ozone  
You are lucky that mixture did not catch fire or worse when you were grinding it. Carbohydrate- permanganate mixtures are notorious. I have set mixtures of table sugar (sucrose) and permanganate off by tapping with a hammer. Apparently a flash mixture can also be so made.

[Edited on 19-8-2010 by Ozone]

I do concern about that risk Ozone,that mix sparks a few time when I grind it.

I try to precipitate manganese carbonate with sodium carbonate solution.And I get this result(pictured).I gues the brown precipitate is manganese carbonate.the solution stay pink,so maybe Bezaleel theory is right,it was contaiminated with KMnO4.Therefore,this thing come from my mortar washing's water:D.

P8190569.JPG - 77kB P8190570.JPG - 75kB

12AX7,thanks for your tips.I'll try that later.......but the sad thing is,I have no hydrogen peroxide with me now:(......I have see a video about making manganese sulfate.but,manganese chloride can be made by similar way I gues,here the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gXByJkg0iY

Got to try it,seem interesting to me:).

[Edited on 19-8-2010 by kuro96inlaila]
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-8-2010 at 05:22

Quote: Originally posted by Ozone  

The dark brown was MnO2. Although I have generated MnO4 from MnCl2 via bleach (NaOCl), which was verified by UV-Vis spectroscopy, your mix looks like MnCl2 with maybe a*trace* of MnO4 (provided that the color saturation of the photo is good). It might be of interest to add further NaOCl and see what happens.

What was your stoichiometry?

Cheers,

O3

Right on both accounts.

On the first part, the amount of heat of oxidation of sucrose with KMnO4 must be quite phenomenal (see also glycerol + KMnO4 as initiator mix for Thermites). Here's two experiments estimating the amount of heat generated by a related reaction: oxidation of ethanol with K2Cr2O7 and with KMnO4:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12832&...

As regards the colour being due to MnO4-, absolutely. I used to get it systematically when oxidising Mn [+II] to MnO2 with bleach. I too used to think the pink was due to MnCl2 but it was MnO4-. MnCl2 is only really slightly pink as the solid hydrate.
kuro96inlaila
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-8-2010 at 13:50

As the conclusion,the pink colour was manganate ion,not being manganese chloride:o..........I plan to do experiment using bleach and lab reagent grade manganese dioxide and I'll report the result later.;)
kuro96inlaila
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-8-2010 at 14:31

Ok,here is the result:

I pour 15ml of bleach into testube and put about 8g of manganese dioxide into it.I also prepare similar mixture but in bigger amount in 250ml beaker.The mixture bubbled but I cannot identify what gas it is:

P8200575.JPG - 139kB

As I swirl the testube,the reaction become faster,but it come back bubbling smoothly not long after i stop swirling the testube.Then I let it sit until the evening of that day.

At the evening:The reaction is still proceeding.but the solution is pink(damn camera,you take it purple).

P8200580.JPG - 145kB

Then I leave the reaction going without disturbing it,until the completion.I dont know the exact time when the reaction actually come to the end.I come to it after about two days later(Forgot about the experiment though:P).I got these result:

P8230616.JPG - 122kB
Ok,that is actually faint pink.Maybe manganese chloride have been form.Meanwhile at the beaker:

P8230617.JPG - 132kB
HARGH!!!WHAT IS THIS THING!!!The solution was intensely purple like permanganate ions.Does permanganate can be form from this.Wikipedia say that sodium permanganate can be prepared by the reaction of manganese dioxide with sodium hypochlorite:

2 MnO2 + 3 NaClO + 2 NaOH → 2 NaMnO4 + 3 NaCl + H2O

I think cations and anions ions test should be made to figure what compound is this........What do you think of this (the whole experiment) my fellow friends?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 09:32

Yes, that's a weak permanganate solution.

Unfortunately, the yield is low, so you're looking at very little. It's not practical to produce permanganate in this way. But it does occur, as you can see.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 11:03

Bleach indeed is a very powerful oxidizer. You can make permanganate with it and even ferrate ion:

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/bleach/index...

With a little heating you can get somewhat stronger permanganate solutions, as the picture shows. But still, the solution is VERY dilute. Permanganate ion has a very strong color, so even very dilute solutions still show a strong color. Nice for a demo, but not useful for synthetic purposes.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top