Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ALICE propellant
condennnsa
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-8-2010 at 23:23
ALICE propellant

Hi, I just come across this rocket propellant on the internet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALICE_(propellant)

Apparently, it's just a mixture of ice and extremely fine aluminum powder. Now I thought that one would need a moderately strong oxidizer to be of use in propelling rockets, but water...?
Is the reaction between water and aluminum really so exothermic?

The only reaction that I can think of between H2O and Al would be something like 3H2O + 2Al -> Al2O3 + 3H2, then the hydrogen would in turn burn with atmospheric O to form water again

[Edited on 26-8-2010 by condennnsa]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 00:27

The reaction between aluminium and water indeed is very exothermic. Aluminium reacts with water, but the formed oxide covers the metal and this prevents further reaction. If in some way one can prevent the formation of a tight oxide layer then the reaction of the metal and water is very exothermic and quite dangerous in larger quantities.

One way to cause the oxide not cover the metal but form a flocculent precipitate instead is the addition of a combination of copper(II) ions and chloride ions to the water. Just dissolve some NaCl in water and add aluminium foil. This gives no reaction. In some other water dissolve some copper sulfate, again no reaction with aluminium foil. Now, mix the solutions of copper sulfate and sodium chloride and add aluminium foil. A vigorous reaction starts and quickly all foil is converted to a grey somewhat flocculent mass. A lot of heat is produced.

Now imagine what happens if instead of the compact foil, you add finely powdered aluminium to a solution of table salt in which also some copper sulfate is dissolved. The powder at once reacts, giving a plume of steam and a lot of heat.

The copper-chloride combination does some very specific trick, it prevents adherence of the formed oxide to the aluminium metal. Probably it has to do with intermediate complex formation, but I'm not sure about that. Some of the copper also is converted to metal, but this is not the cause of the violent reaction, only a tiny fraction of the copper reacts to metal, while a lot of aluminium reacts. It also is specific to the combination of both chloride and copper(II) ions.

Other combinations also bring about such reactions, e.g. copper(II) + bromide, and also mercury(II) + chloride.

So, I can imagine that a mix of water and very fine aluminium powder can act as rocket propellant, but some additional agent is needed, which has the effect, described above, but only at elevated temperature. Copper(II) + chloride is not suitable, because that already at room temperature causes violent reaction.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 09:39

This thread needs a video,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRLMsiC-SgM

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 11:02

I would assume that in an ALICE rocket the aluminum and ice are somehow combined *without* the aluminum acquiring an oxide coating. Maybe ice at a sufficiently low temperature won't react even with naked Al. I suppose if I read about the Purdue experiment I would know.
The CuCl2 plus Al reaction has been on my mind of late as a way to obtain AlCl3. Problem being that it may not proceed readily except in aqueous medium, which defeats the purpose. Doing it as a solid thermite reaction might work but the exotherm would have to be handled somehow. Seems like there is a small chance that some other solvent would work, too...
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 11:38

Boris, the title of this thread brought rabbit-holes, Lewis Dodgson and looking-glasses to mind.
The Al - Ice bit took a worryingly long time to register - I'd better cut down on bud, or even, perish the thought, give it up altogether.
The idea of fuelling rockets with frozen water and aluminium is exquisitely bizarre. . .
BTW, only joking 'bout giving up my raison d'étre!

Harmless

[*] posted on 30-8-2010 at 07:14

I wonder if a suspension of aluminium powder in a room temperature polymeric hydrogel could give similar performance and environmental credentials but with the added advantage of long-term storage stability at room temperature. Perhaps the performance (specific impulse) could even be improved by gelling a solution of ammonium nitrate rather than straight water, though at that level of complexity I suppose you might as well consider using standard composite propellant.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-8-2010 at 10:20

Theoretically , Aluminum and water yields 1760 Kcal per kilogram of reactants.
Good luck with that. This has never been shown to occur on it's own without
added oxidizer. The test cites nanoscale aluminum which is NOT a fine powder.
Producing it is the real point of interest not the stunt application. Realistically ,
Magnesium is the only thing which does burn in ice. A poor use of available
enthalpy as it is in part consumed by the phase change. Adding chlorine to
promote reactivity defeats the objective of " envioronmentally friendly ".
Put this in the category of never to see practical use.

Far more sensible is the utilization of hydrated salts such as Ammonium Alum
Al2(SO4)3 • (NH4)2SO4 • 24H2O , Aluminum Sulfate Al2(SO4)3 • 18H2O ,
Epsom salt Mg(SO4) • 7H2O , all of which blend well with Ammonium Nitrate.
Nitrocellulose ( Gun Cotten ) can be used as a binder , using just enough of the
energetic material to promote the desired combustion without risking detonation.

franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 12:06

This paper has some relevance to propellant applications

Atomic Layer Deposition of Oxidizer Coatings on Aluminum Nanoparticles to Fabricate Superthermite Explosives
http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA419512
Redirects to :
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA419512&Locati...

Go To Top